Note 3 has Ant+?!

bateyejoe

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
While playing around on my AT&T Note 3, I saw it download updates to two Ant+ applications. I never heard anything about the Note having Ant+ and the only Android phones I know of with Ant+ are Sonys. In fact, I was seriously considering a Sony Z1, but went with the Note because of the larger memory and the AT&T subsidy.

Anyway, it turns out Note 3 is listed on the Ant+ web site as supporting Ant+! Very cool. I've already ordered an Ant+ speed/cadence sensor for my bike.

THIS IS ANT - ANT+ in Mobile

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
While playing around on my AT&T Note 3, I saw it download updates to two Ant+ applications. I never heard anything about the Note having Ant+ and the only Android phones I know of with Ant+ are Sonys. In fact, I was seriously considering a Sony Z1, but went with the Note because of the larger memory and the AT&T subsidy.

Anyway, it turns out Note 3 is listed on the Ant+ web site as supporting Ant+! Very cool. I've already ordered an Ant+ speed/cadence sensor for my bike.

THIS IS ANT - ANT+ in Mobile
I'm not sure what ant+ is, but I gather it has something to do with exercise? Check out the health app, S Health, in the apps. I set it up for the pedometer. It'll be interesting to see how far I really walk when I'm gardening and doing yard work. You can even do something with a heart rate monitor. You might find it worth while if you're into that sort of thing.

AgentScribe

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what ant+ is, but I gather it has something to do with exercise? Check out the health app, S Health, in the apps. I set it up for the pedometer. It'll be interesting to see how far I really walk when I'm gardening and doing yard work. You can even do something with a heart rate monitor. You might find it worth while if you're into that sort of thing.

Ant+ is a communications module that allows your device to communicate with peripherals such as heart-rate monitors, cadence devices and other similarly equipped items. Most of the uses I'm familiar with are exercise based but I think the folks behind Ant+ anticipate other uses. I don't really know what differentiates it from WiFi or Bluetooth or even NFC.

darkenrahl

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
From a post on XDA

Ray Maker of DC Rainmaker on Twitter reports ANT+ is coming to the Samsung Galaxy S4 through an October Firmware update and will be supported on all flagship devices going into the future
dcrainmakerblog
"We will support ANT+ in the Galaxy S4 in a firmware update coming in October" - Samsung (at the ANT+ Symposium)
dcrainmakerblog
"We do plan to support ANT+ on all of our flagship smartphone devices in the future" - Samsung (at the ANT+ Symposium)

Particularly for anyone with sports data tracking devices this is huge news! Not to mention ANT+ is pretty simple to implement now with the new Plugin services they're bundling with the Note 3 right now

ANT also allows you to build really neat wireless topologies as well if your into that stuff, plus it supports full multicast as seen on DC Rainmaker Curiosity/Survey: Do you use a different device for running than cycling? | DC Rainmaker

A little background on ANT and ANT+:
ANT is a mature ultra low power wireless protocol running on the 2.4 GHz band like WiFi and Bluetooth. Bluetooth Smart is a protocol similar to ANT but architected around Bluetooth style bonding/pairing with several connection layers and services.
ANT is a compact and flexible protocol, allowing virtually any type of wireless network topology to be created. ANT transmitters automatically manage coexistence and divide the RF channel they are transmitting on into timeslots, which means any number of receivers can listen to an ANT device, excellent for gyms, training areas, anything which requires a large number of transmitters, as ANT can handle potentially hundreds of devices transmitting to an infinite number of receivers.

ANT+ is a set of interoperability specifications called "Device Profiles" which means devices which use them are able to "talk" to one another. ANT+ has reportedly shipped in over 60+ million devices globally, predominantly in Sports and Fitness (Adidas miCoach, Garmin Watches, Running Sensors, Heart Rate Straps, etc).

Why does this matter?
Right now, it only matters if you're into any type of sports or fitness training, or if you have an idea which requires 600+ transmitters communicating to XXX number of receivers simultaneously. As a nice bonus, any ANT+ device is compatible with any app as long as it's certified.

Some Apps which include ANT+:
-Google My Tracks
-Endomondo
-Garmin Fit?
-Run.GPS Trainer UV
-IpBike, IpWatts, IpPeloton, IpSmartHr
-Selfloops
-SportyPal
-MapMyFITNESS/RIDE/RUN/WALK+/HIKE/DOGWALK

Directory of Certified Devices
THIS IS ANT - Directory

Oh and there's a comparison here
THIS IS ANT - ANT+ / BT Smart Comparison

Basically it's similar to Bluetooth Smart but supposedly more mature, simpler to use, and with much more flexible topologies and better RF density.

milanroubal

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Question is if it will be possible to send over Ant geocache positions from Note 3 to Garmon outdoor devices like GPSMAP or Oregon. That would be killer function for me, I don't want to destroy my expensive phone during outdoor activities.

Odesl?no z m?ho SM-N9005 pomoc? Tapatalk 4

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Note 3 has a stock fitness app that does everything enmondo does including step counter.. I use enmondo but the stock step feature counts steps much better. These stock apps must use this technology I'm guessing

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

darkenrahl

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
There is an ANT+ Plugin for Geocache which makes the decoding pretty easy, it's perfectly possible to write an app which rebroadcasts Geocache data which is downloaded from the phone back to an Oregon or GPSMAP. You can try their sample app for the plugins, it's called ANT+ Plugin Sampler on the Google Play Store.

Claudia Adams

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't have any fitness app in my tablet, but it still keeps updating this ANT+ app. I have tried uninstalling it, but there is no option to that. IS THIS A BAD THING?

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Ant + is great.. I have a heart monitor that automatically transfers stats in real time to s health. That's what it's for. While I'm running I just look at phone to see what my heart rate is. I had to purchase a heart monitor with ant+ technology. The technology is already in the phone. Don't know why you would want to waste time trying to get rid of it. If you are not using it it has no effect on anything what's so ever.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez