Galaxy Note 3 - impressed (its the little things)

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I get that. I can't say that I've ever had a phone bend though. The Note 2 that I had was always in my pocket and the guy I sold it to was amazed at the condition the phone itself was. The back of the flip was somewhat scratched up (that was disclosed) but the original back cover was never used. Coupled with the flip always closed, and a screen protector that was never removed, if you replaced the flip cover with the original, took the screen protector off to put a new one on, the phone looked like it was brand new. Though it had a couple months of use (which was also disclosed.)

Yeah, I never had problems with pockets, and I'm 5'10" 265lbs. (give or take.)

I've seen a few people crack their screens when they would go to sit down with their phone in their pockets. While I've never done that myself, I always had a fear of doing it. The only issue I've had with a holster is bumping it into things as I walk around, but I think I've gotten used to carrying one around. I think the adage goes, "different strokes...."

daleg

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I am one that does that (I will never trust holsters) and normal size pockets will be fine if you wear regular pants/slacks. Jeans, on the other hand, might be some roughness, especially if you get a walletcase.

Right now, I have this case (didn't buy from that dealer and curiously couldn't find this case on their website.) The Incipio case I would have used was warped on the upper left hand corner, but this is just temporary until I get my wallet case on Monday. It is very secure in my wallet and with the screen protector, I'm very secure in knowing that the screen will be safe. Even the Droid Maxx that I have with no screen protector has never got an issue, so I'm alright with that.

What wallet case did you order? I have an Ilove case on order but it is pretty expensive and I have a cheap wallet cane now that is great but I doubt if it will last long.

I just don't like holsters...lol.

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I kept my Note 3 for exactly one week. Took it back and ordered a white LG G2. The Note 3 is very nice in some ways. The screen is fantastic, the battery is good, I really like the back cover and TW has come a long way. The reasons took it back....the chrome ring around the edge, cheap plastic. The silver will start chipping off. The home button, even if you use it as little as possible it WILL become loose and move around a little too much, even enough to look crooked sometimes.

Overall the Note 3 is pretty good and for many people these little details won't matter. For me, they do. Samsung needs to really get serious about making "premium" phones before I'll buy another......and get rid of that ridiculous clicky, old school, iphone style home button!!!

TWISM

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I am one that does that (I will never trust holsters) and normal size pockets will be fine if you wear regular pants/slacks. Jeans, on the other hand, might be some roughness, especially if you get a walletcase.

Right now, I have this case (didn't buy from that dealer and curiously couldn't find this case on their website.) The Incipio case I would have used was warped on the upper left hand corner, but this is just temporary until I get my wallet case on Monday. It is very secure in my wallet and with the screen protector, I'm very secure in knowing that the screen will be safe. Even the Droid Maxx that I have with no screen protector has never got an issue, so I'm alright with that.

I just don't like holsters...lol.

I take it the Incipio you got that was warped was from Verizon. Mine is warped on the top left too, it just won't fully snap on.

Posted via Note 3

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I kept my Note 3 for exactly one week. Took it back and ordered a white LG G2. The Note 3 is very nice in some ways. The screen is fantastic, the battery is good, I really like the back cover and TW has come a long way. The reasons took it back....the chrome ring around the edge, cheap plastic. The silver will start chipping off. The home button, even if you use it as little as possible it WILL become loose and move around a little too much, even enough to look crooked sometimes.

Overall the Note 3 is pretty good and for many people these little details won't matter. For me, they do. Samsung needs to really get serious about making "premium" phones before I'll buy another......and get rid of that ridiculous clicky, old school, iphone style home button!!!

I take it the Incipio you got that was warped was from Verizon. Mine is warped on the top left too, it just won't fully snap on.

Posted via Note 3

Same here - the lip that is supposed to keep the screen from touching anything doesn't wrap the whole way around in the upper left. At first I thought that maybe the case was not snapped all the way on, but that is not the case. Oh well, it was just a temp case anyway until a real case is available.

Sent from my Note 3 now Free

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Posted via Note 3

Same here - the lip that is supposed to keep the screen from touching anything doesn't wrap the whole way around in the upper left. At first I thought that maybe the case was not snapped all the way on, but that is not the case. Oh well, it was just a temp case anyway until a real case is available.

Sent from my Note 3 now Free

Yes, I did get that case from a corporate Verizon store. I would suggest to you guys to contact Incipio and get them replaced, if you didn't already return them to Verizon. This first batch was probably a bad one (customer service is probably aware about that left side being a problem with the warping.) It doesn't really matter though as I am getting my wallet case tomorrow and it was going to be temporary, plus my Ventev has me comfortable enough to use in spite of my clumsy self. :D

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
The reasons took it back....the chrome ring around the edge, cheap plastic. The silver will start chipping off. The home button, even if you use it as little as possible it WILL become loose and move around a little too much, even enough to look crooked sometimes.

Overall the Note 3 is pretty good and for many people these little details won't matter. For me, they do.

While I wholly disagree with your reasons, I do respect them, as I can be particular about things myself.

My Note 3 is always in a case, so the silver chipping shouldn't be an issue. As for the home button, I'll keep you posted every couple of months and let you know how that goes. I can say this much, I had a Note 2 for a couple of months, and the home button was still going strong. Note 3 seems to be a sturdier build. There was a good several days in between Note 2 and Note 3, but I know for a fact the home button was no issue on the Note 2.

Edit: One other thing I just thought about as to why I would use a case. I have one of those universal phone decks that has a really strong grip. The force is so strong, it probably would bend the chrome over time with a lot of use as I do use GPS a lot, or even playing music or regular hands free. The case I use is a silicone case with a hard plastic that covers the middle where such a grip would go and is thick enough to absorb the tension that the grip produces before it even gets to the silicone (and hence protects that area of the chrome.) So yeah, I'd rather have an ugly case protecting an otherwise beautiful phone than not and having it look a bit abused. Helps for future resale. :D

Last edited:

zef05

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
BIG BEAR HUG MY NOTE 3 BROTHERS & SISTERS! I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE SGN4 ALREADY... Hehehe

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
It really feels good not to need a tablet and a smartphone. I have gone back and forth with this for the last couple of years of needing a phone and tablet combo or just a phablet. I think that I like having the Note 3 better. Best of both worlds and I don't have to worry about keeping up with two devices.

Sent from the baddest device on the planet, my Galaxy Note 3.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Normal pockets were never meant for smart phones and vice versa. People who pocket phones naked are just waiting for trouble.

[EDIT - retracted]

Its like Russian roulette, having done it unscathed does not predict future success.

Sent from my DROID MAXX

Last edited:

defdc

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
This is my first Note, and I'm on Verizon. For my first few days, I was having an issue with 4G dumping to 3G and not coming back until I went into Airplane Mode and back out again. Swapped SIMs, and I'm good now. (I get nervous with Samsung radios) I'm getting good 4G signals in all kinds of places that I couldn't before. I went a whole day with moderate/heavy use with almost 50% battery left. This is unbelievable! And I haven't really had a chance to play with any of the goodies yet! By far, the best phone I've owned, seen, or read about! The bar is raised to the stratosphere!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This is my first Note, and I'm on Verizon. For my first few days, I was having an issue with 4G dumping to 3G and not coming back until I went into Airplane Mode and back out again. Swapped SIMs, and I'm good now. (I get nervous with Samsung radios) I'm getting good 4G signals in all kinds of places that I couldn't before. I went a whole day with moderate/heavy use with almost 50% battery left. This is unbelievable! And I haven't really had a chance to play with any of the goodies yet! By far, the best phone I've owned, seen, or read about! The bar is raised to the stratosphere!
Yeahp indeed. I'm curious to see how the One Max compares (even though the specs have it looking like a One with larger screen, more or less).

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Rereading it, it does sound mean. I assure you it was unintentional and I was just trying to make a geometry based point in regards to these new delicate devices that people insist on putting into a space that was originally intended for a few keys or coins.

I will edit it out above. Thanks for being understanding! :D

And I always assume that whoever I talk to online isn't a hipster or into skinny jeans. Otherwise things get intentionally mean quickly!!

Sent from my DROID MAXX

cg101

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I deleted my post as well and I do believe you meant no disrespect. In truth I hadn't let the coffee settle in yet. Otherwise I would have sounded a little less sensitive. LOL.

In any event all is well. :)

But yeah my pockets carry a lot more than keys and coins. I have yet to ever have problems with my pants pockets. I wear regular Dockers, casual/business/dress slacks with regular sized pockets. In fact my pockets are about to be a whole lot lighter now that I got my wallet case. I am probably going to keep this for awhile and get something else later.

Mook1e

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

So because you predicted the future you brought it back. Got it.

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
So because you predicted the future you brought it back. Got it.

No, I didn't predict the future. The home button was already loose and the chrome was already chipping off. Now run along and let the grown ups talk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty