Messages from numbers like 1010100004

Captnitro

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I understand that these numbers are caused by AT&T assigning a "special gateway number" when receiving a text message from an email. These numbers always come in sequential and do not remain the same. My problem with them is I get my overtime for work by responding to the text and I can not always tell who sent the messages without searching out who the sender was. Does anyone know if there are any apps or any other solutions that could replace the number with the sender's info such as senders email address. I am at a loss as to why WE AT&T users need to see the "special gateway number".

I currently use the txt.att.net but have tried the mms.att.net as well with other problems.

Its really not a huge problem but more of an inconvenience as I can not even assign a ring tone to alert me when I have the possibility of overtime.

Messages from numbers like 1010100004 - AT&T Support?*

Thanks for the help.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Remember SMS itself doesn't support an email address in the from/to field. Originally text messages to your phone number from an email system using the gateway address came in with a common from number (the actual gateway number). There was no way TO REPLY to those messages since the sender info was not in the message. The solution they chose was to use an index system that associated your phone number plus an index number (the 101 number) to the sending email address. So now if you reply to the SMS message the server has enough info to locate the original email address and forward your message. One problem solved but it still doesn't help your phone identify the sender.

A partial solution is to have everyone use the MMS gateway address. That way you get an MMS message with the originating email address intact. Problem with that is you have to have mobile data ON to get the message.

hkreger#AC

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. In addition, over time the generated address numbers recycled, making a huge mess.

The solution was to make a new Gmail account just for work, and use the Gmail app to receive these messages, distinct notification etc, and disable that Gmail account from the email app.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo