Can't Find Messages App Notification Setting

Jax2008

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello All,

Android v 13
OneUI 5.1
Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G (AT&T)

I've been trying (with no success) to locate the setting to change the sound played when I receive a text message using the MESSAGES app. When I go to SETTINGS in the app, and then NOTIFICATIONS, I only see allow, silent, categories and in app notifications. Nothing about the sound.

When I go to SOUNDS AND VIBRATION in the settings app for the phone, I do see the NOTIFICATION SOUND setting, but the sound I select is not the sound I hear when I receive a text message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello All,

Android v 13
OneUI 5.1
Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G (AT&T)

I've been trying (with no success) to locate the setting to change the sound played when I receive a text message using the MESSAGES app. When I go to SETTINGS in the app, and then NOTIFICATIONS, I only see allow, silent, categories and in app notifications. Nothing about the sound.

When I go to SOUNDS AND VIBRATION in the settings app for the phone, I do see the NOTIFICATION SOUND setting, but the sound I select is not the sound I hear when I receive a text message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Did you look under "categories" while in the app's settings > notifications page?

In there, you'd see "new messages" category. Tap those words and it would go to another page where you set the sound.

3f804148279c5cb369d139a86f3241d6.jpg

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The key here is that joeldf specified tapping the words "New Messages", and not the toggle switch.