Dimming screen

note3cyp

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys. I have a question for you. I bought a note 3 some days ago and im experiencing the "dim bug". I searched a lot in other posts and websites but i didnt find a definite solution about this. What id like to know is if i have a faulty note 3 or is normal to have the screen dimming, even in apps that dont push the limits of the note 3 and the phone is not getting hot. I have my screen brightness to 100% and all the options that need to be unchecked, unchecked. Should i take the phone back or is normal behavior?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.

I've not heard of this bug before now. Yeah, if it were me and I thought my device was less than perfectly pure and perfect it'd be going right back for a replacement.

note3cyp

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Some of the answers in other posts/forums said that its a samsung thing when the phone gets hot, so its dim the screen to protect the device. But in mine its doing it even when the device its not hot, sometimes its doing it when i just use the browser for example.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
If you use Nova launcher, make sure you have the latest update. There was a bug in Nova that caused the screen dimming, even in other apps if Nova was running in the background (like if you were using it but switched to another app). I had this problem and the last Nova update fixed it for me.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

note3cyp

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I just use the note out of the box! I will take it back tomorrow but the problem is how to make them understand that this is a problem and not something that is normal so i ll get a new one!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I know you set the brightness at 100% BUT did you uncheck Auto brightness? Setting it 100% but leaving auto brightness checked still dims the screen because it senses the ambient light around you and adjusts accordingly. Unchecking it, it stays lit at what ever you set it at. Basically, you can't use both at the same time.

Sorry if I'm off base with this as I am unaware of this bug and the only thing I know that would dim the screen is auto brightness.

note3cyp

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I know you set the brightness at 100% BUT did you uncheck Auto brightness? Setting it 100% but leaving auto brightness checked still dims the screen because it senses the ambient light around you and adjusts accordingly. Unchecking it, it stays lit at what ever you set it at. Basically, you can't use both at the same time.

Sorry if I'm off base with this as I am unaware of this bug and the only thing I know that would dim the screen is auto brightness.

Yes, i have the auto brightness checked off!! As for the bug, if its a bug, there are numerous thread in this forum and in others but without a clear solution...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...going-dim-due-overheating-max-brightness.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ess-changes-while-viewing-internet-pages.html

Screen randomly getting dim - xda-developers

note 3 screen auto dimming - xda-developers

The thing is that the "dimming screen" is also found in other samsung's phones like Mega, s3, s4 etc...

note3cyp

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
So as i found, qualcomm chipsets have this techonology, named BRITE. As explained in their site: "BRITE solves the issue of backlight intensity and its effect on battery consumption. This technology takes cues from content being displayed on the screen and dynamically adjusts the backlight to make use of natural light, and under the right conditions, can reduce power consumption by up to 50% without compromising image fidelity. What makes BRITE different is that it’s tunable. Different profiles can be chosen based on how much power is needed for the task at hand. For instance, for full screen movie playback, a more aggressive profile can be chosen to control the brightness of the display. For basic tasks like email and web browsing, BRITE can be turned off completely. Qualcomm uses APIs that monitor display quality and brightness levels so that developers can link their applications or type of content to the API and tune the battery savings."

Qualcomm Introduces BRITE and GridView for Snapdragon

I dont know if this is what causes the screen to dim, but lets say it is, my note's 3 screen dims even when browsing or playling light games and the temperature of the battery is 30-31 celcius so im thinking i have a faulty one... Ill take mine back tomorrow and i am thinking if i can exchange it, to buy the note 3 with the exynos chipset... Now i have the qualcomm one.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
So as i found, qualcomm chipsets have this techonology, named BRITE. As explained in their site: "BRITE solves the issue of backlight intensity and its effect on battery consumption. This technology takes cues from content being displayed on the screen and dynamically adjusts the backlight to make use of natural light, and under the right conditions, can reduce power consumption by up to 50% without compromising image fidelity. What makes BRITE different is that it’s tunable. Different profiles can be chosen based on how much power is needed for the task at hand. For instance, for full screen movie playback, a more aggressive profile can be chosen to control the brightness of the display. For basic tasks like email and web browsing, BRITE can be turned off completely. Qualcomm uses APIs that monitor display quality and brightness levels so that developers can link their applications or type of content to the API and tune the battery savings."

Qualcomm Introduces BRITE and GridView for Snapdragon

I dont know if this is what causes the screen to dim, but lets say it is, my note's 3 screen dims even when browsing or playling light games and the temperature of the battery is 30-31 celcius so im thinking i have a faulty one... Ill take mine back tomorrow and i am thinking if i can exchange it, to buy the note 3 with the exynos chipset... Now i have the qualcomm one.

What country do you live in? I take it you're not in the U.S. as we only have the Qualcomm version.

just1nsanity

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
This was actually answered in one of the links posted above with other threads about this issue by user Bobby_Phoenix.

"It's a built-in safety feature. You can have all the settings off, and it will still do it. What happens is when the temp of the phone goes above 90F the phone will automatically dim the screen to help cool things off. Once it's cool enough the brightness will go back up. There's nothing you can do about it. It's a Samsung thing."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty