Voice recognition woes...

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Either it's me just not getting this, or this is the most poorly designed part of Android yet.

When I press the voice recognition button on my headset with the phone unlocked, I get Google Now.
When I press the voice recognition button on my headset with the phone locked, I get Google Voice Dialer, which can't recognize half the things Google now can. It's total junk.

If I have the screen set to lock after say...after 30 minutes of inactivity, and I make a call using Bluetooth, it locks once the call is over, even it it's 10-second call. The only way around this, to put the phone in Docking mode using Car Home Ultra, or something like it...

With Google Voice Dialer and a locked phone, you can imagine the frustration in trying to make a call, with the phone not recognizing anything, then having to unlock the phone with one hand (while driving) and navigate to make the call by dialing, or looking through the logs, or direct dial etc...what a fvcking nightmare.

I only need voice recognition to make calls while I'm driving...so why have they executed this so pooprly - when it's against the law in most places to even touch the phone while driving?

Peterbrugg22

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Oh thank G_d, I thought that I was the only one with this problem. I spent 2 hours trouble shooting this with a very good and thoughtful AT&T tech last week. Same problem I am having; phone locked in sleep mode without headset, S voice awoke using Hi Galaxy. With headset, locked, asleep, Google Voice Dialer. Unlocked and awake, Google Now. The work around; uninstall updates for Google Search, clear Google Search cache, and turn off auto updates for Google Play. This leaves me with S-Voice. S Voice sucks, but the voice command will play playlists while Google Now will not. The voice command of play playlist is important to me as I use this while driving. As far as I know, the only other phone that will play a playlist from voice command is an IPhone.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
You can disable S voice in Application manager, but that won't help you much...you still have to contend with Google Voice Dialer, which is junk as well.

@ JPR - that doesn't get me what I want, if that even works on KitKat, but thanks anyway! I only want Google Now working, not S Voice and not Google Voice Dialer.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
jpr - You can get around S Voice with 'S for Switch Voice' app in the Play Store, which I believe auto-switches 'Hi Galaxy' to Google Now.

I don't think that really helps you FBA, but you may try playing with some of the settings in the app, it may help skip the Voice Dialer. And if it doesn't, you may try the developer, he/she may be able to offer some insight.

Lastly, from a while back, I think I remember another app tied to the voice recognition... Utter or udder maybe, that others had set up to work well with Google Now.

Disclaimer - I don't use any of the above. I pretty much ignore my phone when driving. Good luck!

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the Google Voice Dialer is developed by Google, so getting in touch with the developer is pretty much a moot point. There are no settings to control what pops up on voice command. How it seems to work is -

1) When the phone is locked, and you initiate Voice command through Bluetooth, the Google Voice Dialer pops up. When unlocked, it will be Google now and there's no way to control this behavior from what I read.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I meant the developer of S for Switch Voice, certainly not Google.

I thought of this at an odd time later... this also may be something you could massage with Tasker. Clearly not the cleanest of solutions, but it might be do-able. If you don't already have it, Tasker is probably the most powerful, most flexible app available. But it is not for the faint of heart.