12-10-2015 11:56 AM
41 12
tools
    For those of you that purchased a backup or spare battery, what are your thoughts...? Are you happy with the purchase, is there any issues with the backup battery and/or charger...?

I just picked up my Note about 2 weeks ago...so far its the best phone that I've had so far. My previous phone was a Note 2 and I had a spare battery & charger to keep as a backup in case I ever needed it on the road. I'm thinking about getting one for the Note 4 but I wanted to hear what you guys had to say....if you had any issues with them, and maybe where you purchased it... I see some are on back order as well. I also read that some only come with a battery and charger and not the charging cable or plug...

anyway, just wanted to hear what you guys had to say... Thanks... and Happy New Year to everyone...
    01-04-2015 07:25 PM
    I got one with the charger but I'm not sure I need it given how well the battery lasts on the N4. I bought it based upon my experience with the Galaxy S3 but the N4 performs so much better I can't believe it. I got it direct from Samsung but I saw the battery/charger combo at Best Buy today.
    01-04-2015 08:01 PM
    I bought a spare battery for my Note and turns out I really do not use it. It is a nuisance to turn the phone off and then take the back off and then put the battery back in. Then the charging process is another issue. Instead I am finding that I am plugging mine in whenever I get a chance.

There are bigger batteries that I have used in the past for my Galaxy S3 but, that makes the back bigger and you cannot use the same case. It was a 6400mAh battery which was good.

I am thinking of getting one of those external batteries that you carry around with you as needed. If you go that route, make sure you opt for the higher quality/more expensive one. Some charge at 1A and others charge at 3A. 1A will take forever to charge.
    01-04-2015 08:03 PM
    Thank you for the input... but no, I'm not looking for an extended battery of any type... I just looking for a factory stock spare battery with a charger/cable just to throw in the backpack for work... I didn't realize that Best buys had them.... does anyone else have any good/bad experiences with them....?

Thanks again...
    01-04-2015 09:34 PM
    I bought the battery and charger thru Amazon. I haven't needed to use it often, but when I did I was glad I had it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-04-2015 10:51 PM
    Thank you for the input... but no, I'm not looking for an extended battery of any type... I just looking for a factory stock spare battery with a charger/cable just to throw in the backpack for work... I didn't realize that Best buys had them.... does anyone else have any good/bad experiences with them....?

Thanks again...
    Best Buy:

Samsung Extra Battery Kit for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Cell Phones Black SAMSUNG T BATTERY CHARGING KIT - Best Buy

The charger & battery work just fine - just don't use them much. I also have a couple of external battery pack chargers as another poster mentioned - they're handy because they work for virtually any USB-cabled rechargeable device.
    01-04-2015 11:37 PM
    I bought the OEM Samsung extra battery kit as well as an Anker spare battery off of Amazon and like another user said, I haven't found myself using the spares all that often. I do switch in between them every few days or so to make sure that they're charged and also to make sure that they wear evenly, but for the most part it's more convenient to just plug in the charger or plop the phone down onto the Qi charging pad (with my OEM Qi back cover). Is it worth it? For most people... probably not. For me, even if I don't use them all that often, having the freedom to just come home after a day of work and swapping the used battery for a fresh one in a few seconds and then heading out for the night is well worth the $15 (Anker) or $40 (OEM Samsung). Hell, even for those people that think that they will never ever need to swap batteries, $15 for that extra peace of mind isn't all that bad... it's like what, one lunch's worth of money?
    01-05-2015 01:13 AM
    I purchased the battery & charger combo direct from Samsung using my New Owner coupon which cut the price from $49.99 to 19.99. I only ever use Samsung brand batteries and have never had issues with them. This charger and battery work perfectly and while I don't need it often when I do it is great to have it handy. The plastic storage container is a nice plus as it makes storing it safely in my travel bag simple.
    01-05-2015 05:03 PM
    Don't get me wrong, the Note 4 has amazing battery life but with the spare battery and charger, my phone never has to be plugged in. I just swap batteries and keep it moving. Im never stuck looking for an outlet like most iphone users out there. Plus restarting the phone keeps it running quick and smooth. Get it...you won't regret it. In fact, buy it from one of these guys who have no use for it...lol

huntnyc likes this.
    01-05-2015 05:22 PM
    Don't get me wrong, the Note 4 has amazing battery life but with the spare battery and charger, my phone never has to be plugged in. I just swap batteries and keep it moving. Im never stuck looking for an outlet like most iphone users out there. Plus restarting the phone keeps it running quick and smooth. Get it...you won't regret it. In fact, buy it from one of these guys who have no use for it...lol

This is spot on. I never plug my phone in anymore now that I got the Samsung Spare Battery Kit. I definitely don't need it to get through the day as the Note 4 battery is excellent. But never having to plug my phone in is amazing.

-Shawn
    Noting the world one S-Pen at a time.
    huntnyc likes this.
    01-05-2015 07:48 PM
    I bought two battery kits from Samsung. With my 50% off code, it cost me with shipping, a little or $52. I keep one battery on me but I don't need it. The battery life is good. You should be able to buy them from Samsung now. I bought mine a few weeks ago.
    01-05-2015 11:59 PM
    I bought two battery kits from Samsung. With my 50% off code, it cost me with shipping, a little or $52. I keep one battery on me but I don't need it. The battery life is good. You should be able to buy them from Samsung now. I bought mine a few weeks ago.
    Looks like they are back ordered again for the Samsung website says the wait is another 4 weeks. Tried yesterday...blahhhh!
    01-06-2015 10:26 AM
    Looks like they are back ordered again for the Samsung website says the wait is another 4 weeks. Tried yesterday...blahhhh!
    Which may indicate the large number of folks that find a spare battery useful.
    01-06-2015 12:05 PM
    I think most people buy one just in case they might need it. I bought mine because I know they can go bad after about a year. And buying one at half the price now is a good idea.
    01-06-2015 07:37 PM
    Loving this kit from Anker! Great price for what you get. Perfect for days when you're out and about and you don't want to worry about finding an outlet. If you're a gamer or stream a lot of video, these are a must-have to keep you going.

[NFC/Google Wallet Capable] Anker® 2 x 3220mAh Li-ion Batteries for... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q4NQQA0/...cUvbUpU4191000

Sent from my SM-N910T
    cwbcpa likes this.
    01-21-2015 12:15 PM
    I have only needed it once while I was out of town. If I could return the official samsung battery I would and get the anker kit mentioned in the post above me.
    01-21-2015 02:30 PM
    I got the hyperion battery kit. It works like a charm. However, I wish anker would have came out with their package dealer sooner.

Amazing Verizon Galaxy Note 4
    01-21-2015 05:58 PM
    Anker is a good brand and I wish they had been available when I bought my Samsung OEM spare. Having said that, the battery usage on this phone has been so good that I haven't needed the one spare, much less two.
    spotnjack likes this.
    01-21-2015 11:20 PM
    I just got the Samsung Extra Battery Kit (EB-KN910BWUSTA) yesterday and am quite satisfied with this purchase. And while I've not experienced any major or catastrophic battery problems as some may have, I just wanted the assurance that there's a J-i-C (Just-in-Case) backup battery on hand. At this point in time, it appears that my SGN.IV is a keeper and is in for the long haul. Until then . . .
    07-08-2015 02:01 AM
    I'm getting my Note 4 tomorrow. The battery kit was one of the big sellers to get me away from my Droid Turbo. I figure with the swappable battery and a spare always charged, I would be better off than I am with the Droid Turbo's super battery.
    07-08-2015 03:57 AM
    I went to a convention in California back in April. I wasn't sure how often I was going to be able to charge my phone at an outlet so I picked up the Samsung charger with an extra battery.

I'm so glad I did. About halfway through the day I'd end up swapping the batteries so I could keep going without having to plug into an outlet.

Three months later, I'm still using the extra battery (playing Ingress can kill my battery like nothing else right now).

I call it a good investment as it has saved my sanity a few times. 😉

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk Pro.
    huntnyc likes this.
    07-08-2015 08:16 AM
    Here's a question I have regarding swapping out drained battery for fully charged battery; do you shut down/turn off your SGN.IV first before the exchange? Or do you simply remove the back cover and then swap batteries while the device is on? Any harm doing the latter? Does it even matter?
    07-08-2015 06:53 PM
    Here's a question I have regarding swapping out drained battery for fully charged battery; do you shut down/turn off your SGN.IV first before the exchange? Or do you simply remove the back cover and then swap batteries while the device is on? Any harm doing the latter? Does it even matter?
    A battery pull (what pulling out the battery with the power on is referred to) is actually good for devices once in a while. It can stop/prevent erratic behavior and is one of the first suggested fixes for erratic behavior of an electronic device. It certainly won't hurt anything unless you are working on a spreadsheet or something similar and haven't saved it. It's also a lot faster than waiting for the phone to shut down.
    Neo_ii_Droid likes this.
    07-08-2015 08:17 PM
    A battery pull (what pulling out the battery with the power on is referred to) is actually good for devices once in a while. It can stop/prevent erratic behavior and is one of the first suggested fixes for erratic behavior of an electronic device. It certainly won't hurt anything unless you are working on a spreadsheet or something similar and haven't saved it. It's also a lot faster than waiting for the phone to shut down.
    Again learned something new to me in that first instance and I'll have to agree with the time it takes to shutdown and restart again. Hopefully I don't encounter a "glitch" that'll "freeze" my SGN.IV which would require me to do a "battery pull."
    srvctec likes this.
    07-08-2015 08:24 PM
    I always shut down the phone first (wait for the blue LED to go off), then swap out the battery. It's a habit from working in the IT field where it's a best practice to allow the operating system to gracefully shut down to avoid the risk of corrupting any files on the hard drive and it then not booting up again or any of your data being messed up. That's less likely to happen though with the type of storage used in mobile devices and the Android operating system. But I'd still rather play it safe than sorry. It only takes about 15 seconds to power down, 30 seconds to swap the battery and put the cover back on and another 15 seconds to power back up (to the PIN lock screen), so to me I'm not saving any kind of substantial time by just pulling the battery.

Pulling the battery while the device is still powered up isn't what is actually helping. It's the system being rebooted that helps as it ends any errant processes that might have been causing erratic behavior while also loading a fresh instance of the operating system. It also can allow the device hardware to reset as all electrical current will drain from the internal circuitry.
    That's what I was concerned about coming from a non-techie guy. Now see here, I am truly liking AC and its Members and am learning something new each day. Thank you once again for detailing this. Much appreciated!
    07-09-2015 01:01 AM
41 12