Note 4 "Gapgate"

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
That's like saying the means of distribution of information has some relevance to how serious the issue is. Just because both go viral and spread beyond belief doesn't mean both are irrelevant if (a) one goes viral simply because the original blogger didn't understand the issue and misinterpreted the situation; and (b) the other actually seems to be an issue, just "not happening often."

I'm really tired of going over this over and over again, but honestly if people don't understand that something made of aluminum,tall and thin can be susceptible to bending under the right amount of force, than I just can't help them.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand certain things, but if this is really a hard concept for the mainstream media and they had to watch people bend an aluminum phone with their hands to understand that tall thin things can bend easily, then I just don't know.

I just honestly can't classify this as an "issue". If people bending phones is how they normally interact with their devices, then I don't know wha to say. If people sitting on their phones is how they normally interact with their phone, then I can't help them.

Regardless of if its 9 complaints, 50 or 500, it's too small of sample size to be considered an "issue" in my opinion. As consumers, people should know that aluminum can be bent with force.

Now if it's bending in people's Front Pockets and they aren't bracing on it or something to make that happen, and it's happening to a reasonable enough amount of people, then this would be an issue, but this hasn't been the case.

I've listened to podcasts throughout the week talking about how they've seen bent iPhone 5's and 4's and iPad 2's. They're all metal, it's what happens when you don't treat your device with care.

If there was some class action suit against apple or massive complaints in the thousands from consumers and this wasn't passing around because of a viral video, then fine, there's something to it, but that's not what's been happening. Just a bunch of hearsay and videos of people intentionally bending a piece of thin aluminum.

But this has been talked about more than enough for the last few weeks, and honestly it's a tired topic.

Just my two cents, sorry for the monologue,lol.

Sent from my 128gb iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk via Sprint Spark

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I know the case will cover up where the gap is. Looking at my Gnote3 it has the gap there also. I just removed my Neo Hybrid case to check it out!!! This will not be any problems. Check Out My Gnote3 it has the Gap at the top

Gnote3.jpg

Blackintuit

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I have the same warning in my N3 manual, but I always figured that was about the pry gap on the back case panel above the power button that lets you take off the back plate and get access to the battery. Yeah, if you're using the pry gap often to take off the back and access the battery, it's going to wear down and get bigger.

If you've got a gap between the front glass and the edge frame like in the "gapgate" photos, that means the bezel is not holding the front glass in place on that edge, and while it can still be held in place on 3 sides instead of all 4, your likelyhood of a scenario where the front glass will pop out is much greater. This early, it is a manufacturing defect that needs to be returned to your carrier's store to be fixed or replaced.

Where plastic will just shear and shatter, metal is malleable and will deform under stress loads over time. It's possible to bend the bezel away from holding the front place, but that's an easy fix. Often it's a matter of disassembling, using a jeweler pliers to bend back to true because the top has gotten bent wide, then reassembling. But sometimes there's too much metal fatigue and the metal frame needs to be replaced.

My local independent phone repair shops fix this for $12-20.

People are talking about a visible flaw, but can it make phone calls and get wifi still? Main concern is the metal frame not cause antenna problems the way the iPhone 4's did. Remember that one?
Apple antenna issue a 'physics problem,' not a software problem - CNET

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the same warning in my N3 manual, but I always figured that was about the pry gap on the back case panel above the power button that lets you take off the back plate and get access to the battery. Yeah, if you're using the pry gap often to take off the back and access the battery, it's going to wear down and get bigger.

If you've got a gap between the front glass and the edge frame like in the "gapgate" photos, that means the bezel is not holding the front glass in place on that edge, and while it can still be held in place on 3 sides instead of all 4, your likelyhood of a scenario where the front glass will pop out is much greater. This early, it is a manufacturing defect that needs to be returned to your carrier's store to be fixed or replaced.

Where plastic will just shear and shatter, metal is malleable and will deform under stress loads over time. It's possible to bend the bezel away from holding the front place, but that's an easy fix. Often it's a matter of disassembling, using a jeweler pliers to bend back to true because the top has gotten bent wide, then reassembling. But sometimes there's too much metal fatigue and the metal frame needs to be replaced.

People are talking about a visible flaw, but can it make phone calls and get wifi still? Main concern is the metal frame not cause antenna problems the way the iPhone 4's did. Remember that one?

If you read from the manual it talks about the gap on the casing (not the removable back panel).

Galaxy Note 4 screen gap 'a necessary manufacturing feature,' says manual | Android Central

A small gap appears around the outside of the device case

This gap is a necessary manufacturing feature and some minor rocking or vibration of parts may occur.
Over time, friction between parts may cause this gap to expand slightly.

It isn't a defect that they will cover under warranty if it is known.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

It is on all of Samsung's phones. It is not a major issue.. I have seen pictures of the same thing on the Galaxy S4 and as seen in my picture above I can do it with my GNote3. It is not an issue. I had my GNote 3 since day one. I had no issues.I will get the GNote4 Day One also. My case covers that area any way.

Here it is On The S4:
yruty9a2.jpg

Last edited:

adam220891

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
So there's a gap right where there's supposed to be a gap. What am I missing here?

Yet, strangely, several folks said there was no gap when checking out demo units in store.

This was before Samsung said there was a gap by design.

Fanboys denied existence of the gap because they thought it was a design flaw...classic

Rolf Verb

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Forgive me for not believing everything I read, but can gapgate be verified? I've watched a lot of review videos and looked at many photos of the device and haven't seen any gaps between the bezel and the glass in any of them. It makes me think that if this story can't be verified, it could be bull[inappropriate language edited by Moderator] .

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Edgar702

Banned
Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Forgive me for not believing everything I read, but can gapgate be verified? I've watched a lot of review videos and looked at many photos of the device and haven't seen any gaps between the bezel and the glass in any of them. It makes me think that if this story can't be verified, it could be bull[inappropriate language edited by Moderator] .

Posted via the Android Central App

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch met with ‘screen gap’ manufacturing issue | 9to5Google

Last edited by a moderator:

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Well, I went to my local Best Buy store here in Michigan after work and I could not see any noticeable gaps in any of the three display units (all white). No I did not try to insert any thin piece of paper. If there were gaps, those were probably microscopic. I am ready to buy this beast of a phone even with a gap (unless there is grand canyon around the bezel).

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I ain't worried bout no stinkin' small gap. Nope. Not gonna sweat it. Hell, when it comes in, I'm not even gonna look for tha sucka. I'm going to turn it on, set it up, and enjoy the mofo.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
As with any launch there is bound to be a bad batch. Those who purchase any device are basically guinea pigs for those that don't. I'm usually a day one adopter but I'm taking a back seat to see if this is solved. The Note 4 on display at my Best Buy does not have the gap so I can only assume its a defect that Samsung isn't acknowledging since launch is so close.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
As with any launch there is bound to be a bad batch. Those who purchase any device are basically guinea pigs for those that don't. I'm usually a day one adopter but I'm taking a back seat to see if this is solved. The Note 4 on display at my Best Buy does not have the gap so I can only assume its a defect that Samsung isn't acknowledging since launch is so close.

Again... fix what? A lot of these comments are flabbergasting me

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Again... fix what? A lot of these comments are flabbergasting me

Nothing to fix. I went to Best Buy and didn't see an issue. I was expecting a big gap. I just watched a video unboxing and the gap that everyone speaks of was on the phone I played with but its not an issue. I've seen that on other phones before and no one questioned it.

I wrote that post before I watched the video. Unless the gap is bigger than what I've seen so far I don't see an issue.