The Note 4 USB 3, has this been dropped on the Note 4?

rcobourn

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: USB 3...

Yes. And it really doesn't matter. The advantage to USB 3 was faster data transfer via cable. With greater adoption of cloud and streaming services, it really isn't needed. And in practice it wasn't much faster anyhow.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

It will accept the micro usb. That's what 2.0 is. You'll get one when you buy and it will have the quick charging in it.

Note 2 via Android Central App

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't include USB 3.0 on the Note 4. It doesn't make sense to me.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

Yes. And it really doesn't matter. The advantage to USB 3 was faster data transfer via cable. With greater adoption of cloud and streaming services, it really isn't needed. And in practice it wasn't much faster anyhow.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I agree that the lack of usb 3.0 isn't a huge deal, but I don't agree with you saying it isn't much faster. When transferring large files (>100mb) it makes a huge speed difference. If you didn't notice a difference, you must not have had 3.0 tranfer option enabled on your phone, or your computer didn't support it.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Litlprince2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

It makes no difference.. The small gains versus the inconvenience of trying to line up a full USB 3.0 plug or fit a 2 into a 3... really killed it.

Its sad though that this phone got released before the change to 3.1.. that looks promising.. Perhaps the S6 will have it.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

It makes no difference.. The small gains versus the inconvenience of trying to line up a full USB 3.0 plug or fit a 2 into a 3... really killed it.

Its sad though that this phone got released before the change to 3.1.. that looks promising.. Perhaps the S6 will have it.

You obviously haven't used it properly either.. Tranferring a 500mb+ ROM took like 1/3 the amount of time with USB 3. It's not automatic. You need to turn it on in your settings and have the proper port and drivers on your PC.

Litlprince2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

You obviously haven't used it properly either.. Tranferring a 500mb+ ROM took like 1/3 the amount of time with USB 3. It's not automatic. You need to turn it on in your settings and have the proper port and drivers on your PC.

I have used it properly.. But i ask you...

Whats the true difference in speed and how much time are you really saving?

How often you do you actually connect your phone to your pc to transfer date of such substantial size the the difference is clear?

And, un biased to your own needs... Do you think the majority of those with this device would prefer a fast transfer on the rare occasion they actually need to.. or a more simplistic connector..

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

I have used it properly.. But i ask you...

Whats the true difference in speed and how much time are you really saving?

How often you do you actually connect your phone to your pc to transfer date of such substantial size the the difference is clear?

And, un biased to your own needs... Do you think the majority of those with this device would prefer a fast transfer on the rare occasion they actually need to.. or a more simplistic connector..

I'm not arguing the point of usefulness... As I previously stated, I don't mind the lack of USB 3 whatsoever. I was only correcting those saying that there was no difference between the two. As I also previously said, it was about 3x as fast as USB 2 when transferring large files. I was not being biased either.. I was using large files (ROM files in particular) as an example as, after all, large file transfers are what USB 3 was aimed towards.. For the couple times per month that I used it to transfer ROM zips, it's nothing essential.

Edit: In terms of time, it took about 3 mins to transfer a full rom zip vs. about 10 mins with USB 2. Samsung ROM zips are over 1 GB in size.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

USB 3.0 will be useful to those who need it. It definitely helped me since I would transfer a nandroid back up to my pc once a month and those back ups were around 8-10 GB. Can't tell you how much faster though since I never tried to transfer it on USB 2.0. :)

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

I agree that the lack of usb 3.0 isn't a huge deal, but I don't agree with you saying it isn't much faster. When transferring large files (>100mb) it makes a huge speed difference. If you didn't notice a difference, you must not have had 3.0 tranfer option enabled on your phone, or your computer didn't support it.

Just a reminder: The transfer rates also depends on the speed of your SD card and usb port/speed on the computer, not the cable/connector alone.

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad it's gone. Every time I was with a friend who had a Note 3 and needed to use his charger they would be like "sorry, my charger doesn't fit normal phones".

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site

It is to bad they could not have figured out how to incorporate the 3.0 into the Note 4. It is tremendously faster at transferring large files such as ROMs, videos and photos. With the 4K video format on the N4 it will be an issue. But I am willing to limp along with it. ;)

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

It is to bad they could not have figured out how to incorporate the 3.0 into the Note 4. It is tremendously faster at transferring large files such as ROMs, videos and photos. With the 4K video format on the N4 it will be an issue. But I am willing to limp along with it. ;)

Well according to many of these individuals, 3.0 "doesn't make a difference." 😔 I'm glad to see someone else who knew how to use it properly and experienced its benefits. I think most of them are just saying it's worthless to not make it seem like their new toy is lacking in any category. It's okay to admit 3.0 is faster than 2.0, it doesn't make the Note 4 a bad phone.. I'm looking forward to getting it just as much as all of you are.

Denelor

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site

3.0 was useless anyways. I've never used it for my S5

I wish people would stop saying this. Going back to 2.0 isn't that big of a deal, but in the use cases where 3.0 matters (mainly large file transfer), it's massively better than 2.0.

It may not be a deal breaker, or even that noteworthy of an omission, but USB 3.0 isn't useless. Not hardly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames