People who have their Note 4's, could you give a quick finger print sensor review

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
It works with Lastpass too but it still seems to ask for password mostly and only sometimes fingerprint. I haven't worked out why.

Posted via the Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So I have heard as well. Samsung fingerprint scanning doesn't come close to Apple.

Gotta echo this. Typically, it takes multiple swipes to unlock both my Note 4 and S5. Sometimes, neither phone will recognize a registered finger at all. However, the Note 4's scanner does better than the S5's.

This is an area where Apple clearly implemented the better strategy to an undisputedly better working solution.

Samsung, hopefully, will catch up.

from the IV✒

SGN4

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Trick is to register one finger 30X ie dont do 3 fingers, use just the 1 finger 3X, lol. It does work well after that. Almost always works.

About 4/5 times.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Trick is to register one finger 30X ie dont do 3 fingers, use just the 1 finger 3X, lol. It does work well after that. Almost always works.

About 4/5 times.

Until that one finger is not available for one reason or another, as I mentioned above. ...while that may not be common, you get a nice cut on that finger or need to bandage it for whatever reason and a hassle has been created.

from the IV✒

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, I can always unlock my Note 4, but it takes multiple swipes sometimes. Here's the kicker...if it fails and you get locked out for 30 seconds, you don't have the option to unlock via the keyboard. You can only unlock via keyboard if you are within the number of swipe attempts before lockout. How dumb is that?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, I can always unlock my Note 4, but it takes multiple swipes sometimes. Here's the kicker...if it fails and you get locked out for 30 seconds, you don't have the option to unlock via the keyboard. You can only unlock via keyboard if you are within the number of swipe attempts before lockout. How dumb is that?

You think it's bad on the Note 4? It's worse on my S5.

from the IV✒

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Update on my initial post .. It seems to have gotten worse. I mean it can read the print but .. you have to swipe it just right otherwise it fails .. or says you didn't get it fully. Gets annoying.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It works with Lastpass too but it still seems to ask for password mostly and only sometimes fingerprint. I haven't worked out why.

I've not had that experience. Seems to work with Last Pass really well. The only issue I have had is making sure the finger prints are stored well so it works on first swipe.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Update on my initial post .. It seems to have gotten worse. I mean it can read the print but .. you have to swipe it just right otherwise it fails .. or says you didn't get it fully. Gets annoying.

Exactly. I'm starting to think a pattern would just be faster and, therefore, more useful.

from the IV✒

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
It's something that improves over time.

You get used to swiping your finger correctly, and the phone gets used to your prints.

When I started using it, it usually took 4 or 5 swipes to get in, and I locked myself out for 30 seconds a couple of times. But now, I get in on the first try more often than not.

So just keep trying and it will improve.

A word of caution: register three different fingers, and pick fingers from both hands. I've found that after I wash dishes, the phone can't recognize one of my fingers because it's puffy and wrinkled. But the one on my other hand works perfectly.

SGN4

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I havent cut my finger ever where it could distort a fingerpting and Im fairly confident over 99% on here are the same.

Even if you did, there is the option to enter the password. Registering the same finger 30X may be an overkill but it solved the scanner issues immediately, as I said it opens at least 4/5 times without any issues. The more I use it the closer it is to 5/5.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have used the fingerprint scanner on the Note 4 since day 1. If you pay attention it works very well every single time and on the first swipe. If it does not work right either you failed to register your finger correctly initially or you failed to pay attention to how you scanned your finger unlocking it. I have a Toshiba laptop that I have always used the fingerprint scanner on it also. That system allows you to switch users instantly by simply swiping a different finger, very handy feature when logging in as different users or administrators. During web surfing with my Note 4 the system usually asks if I would like to register a fingerprint in place of the typed in user and password for different web sites, really don't use it that much on the Note 4 but had the same option on the Toshiba-I do use it on that machine all the time. The technology used for the Iphone is different than the Note 4, the latter is capacitive the former is optical and much easier to spoof using an image of a fingerprint. To spoof the Note 4 fingerprint scanner would require a mold of the finger or possibly the finger it's self, ouch.

http://ashtopustech.com/Biometrics/Fingerprints-Cards-AB

George Collins1

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I had an iPhone 5s for work and got frustrated with the fingerprint scanner and quit using it. On my personal N4, I almost always get in with one swipe. It can be tricky until you learn the right way to do it, but it coaches you if you swipe wrong. Now I hardly ever need more than one swipe.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had the scanner tell me to swipe to the left, to the right, to slow down. Seriously? Is this how all biometric fingerprint scanners work? ...and the solution is to swipe just right, the way it wants me to? Okay. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I eventually got it right 80% of the time with my S5 after 7 months of use. I've got it right 90% of the time with my Note 4 after 11 days of use

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
As others have said the iPhone scanner is far superior. If I use my index finger and I pay attention it will work 80% of the time but if I use my thumb the accuracy is about 50%. I gave up on it.