Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Index Service eating up my battery

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have problems with Index Service eating up your battery?
Not sure what it is, and what's causing it to run non stop.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414336145956.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414336145956.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 297

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Index Service eating up my battery

I believe that the "MyFiles" app has a search feature - I believe the Index Service initially scans the device for files and indexes them for faster searches. Once the device is fully indexed, it should only run periodically for short bursts.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

Mine runs all the time. Have to force quit it to make it stop running after it has been running for several hours. It's been doing this for the 3 days I've owned it.

Joshua McClure

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

I'm having same issue... grrr. Running through two note 4 batteries with light use in the course of a day. Index service running between 33,% and 54% of battery usage! I believe the note there's had this issue when you transferred a micro sd card and it indexed anything. According to the forums was supposed to stop on its own in a few days... mine has not yet, either...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Remove sd card, if it solves the problem then it is some file on the sd card. You can add a ".nomedia" file to the directories without media, see if that fixes it. If it is a media directory then try the same to isolate which directory then you will have to isolate which file.

If you don't know you can put it in the root directory.

If it happens without sd card, you can put the file in the root of the internal memory. If it works then it is a corrupt file somewhere, so you can slowly troubleshoot by adding nomedia files to the individual directories

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Last edited:

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Remove sd card, if it solves the problem then it is some file on the sd card. You can add a ".nomedia" file to the directories without media, see if that fixes it. If it is a media directory then try the same to isolate which directory then you will have to isolate which file.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
I just finally solved this exact issue yesterday as my 1 week old Note 4 was doing the Index Service non stop and I had horrible battery drain! Besides a lot of other things, it was suggested to me to remove the SD card. Mine was actually old as it was from 2 previous devices. Removing it made a World of difference to my Note 4! I also found that Picasa was syncing my photos. I turned that off and deleted apps I wasn't going to use..... Here is a link to the thread.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=468747

Hy Roseman

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site

I had this too. I formatted my 64GB sandisk ultra micro SD card IN MY PC, not my phone. I reinstalled my data to the card and now my index service is at 4%.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mike Wan

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site

Ive had my Note 4 since release date for Sprint, with email checking, website browsing texting and stocks i usually end the day with 50% maybe once 40% range.
It was great, great battery life until the recent NK2 update.
Ever since my battery is near 15% at 3pm.

My index service was at 75% at times and now 54% WTF is this crap? and how the F do we stop it from draining out battery?!
if you goto the note 4 sprint forum

search NK2 update battery drain

since I cant post links here yet.

naira1

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Ive had my Note 4 since release date for Sprint, with email checking, website browsing texting and stocks i usually end the day with 50% maybe once 40% range.
It was great, great battery life until the recent NK2 update.
Ever since my battery is near 15% at 3pm.

My index service was at 75% at times and now 54% WTF is this crap? and how the F do we stop it from draining out battery?!
if you goto the note 4 sprint forum

search NK2 update battery drain

since I cant post links here yet.
Try the SD card suggestion earlier mentioned here. It should resolve it for you

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Mike Wan

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site

ive tried removing the SD card it was the same. What I did do was delete old pdf and other files I didnt need.
lastnight as I went to sleep it had 40% index service, this morning its gone. Ive been off the charger for 2 hours and still have 98%.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

ive tried removing the SD card it was the same. What I did do was delete old pdf and other files I didnt need.
lastnight as I went to sleep it had 40% index service, this morning its gone. Ive been off the charger for 2 hours and still have 98%.

Yes, Index Service was still on mine too... once I removed my bad SD card. But then once I restarted my phone and charged above 90% the indexing went away and battery has been awesome ever since.

Glad it worked out for you as well! I owe it to many others here, who helped me through it!

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

It has nothing to do with the SD card, it is the FILES that are on the SD card OR internal storage. If you pull the SD card and it fixes it, it was likely just a file or files on the SD card. A file delete or SD card format would also likely fix it.
I had a load of work files that I sync with my other devices to my Note 4 INTERNAL storage. It appeared that a number of document and/or PDF files cause indexing to run constantly. It would eat through the battery in a few hours. Pulling the SD card did nothing. I was able to change the name of my sync folder from "My Documents" to ".My Documents". Putting the period on the front hides the directory and everything in it from the indexing service. I am still able to access the files I need, and the indexing service never bothers looking at any of them. Fixed. The Indexing Service hasn't shown up at all since.

Last edited:

Mike Wan

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site

Ya its fixed on my end too.

I went for a bike ride and came back with 90% still, at night I had 87% with light use.

Sam Boorse

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site

How do I do this in my phone. Just switched from iPhone for the last 7 years. Not liking the switch so far. My battery is being eaten alive by this index service. I pulled the sd card, go rid of all the files on my phone and deleted them. Still shows 63%. What can I do.

Sam Boorse

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site

It has nothing to do with the SD card, it is the FILES that are on the SD card OR internal storage. If you pull the SD card and it fixes it, it was likely just a file or files on the SD card. A file delete or SD card format would also likely fix it.
I had a load of work files that I sync with my other devices to my Note 4 INTERNAL storage. It appeared that a number of document and/or PDF files cause indexing to run constantly. It would eat through the battery in a few hours. Pulling the SD card did nothing. I was able to change the name of my sync folder from "My Documents" to ".My Documents". Putting the period on the front hides the directory and everything in it from the indexing service. I am still able to access the files I need, and the indexing service never bothers looking at any of them. Fixed. The Indexing Service hasn't shown up at all since.

How do I do this in my phone. Just switched from iPhone for the last 7 years. Not liking the switch so far. My battery is being eaten alive by this index service. I pulled the sd card, go rid of all the files on my phone and deleted them. Still shows 63%. What can I do.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Once you pulled the SD card (bad files on it) Did you restart your phone and charge to over 90%? It should drop off after that.

Sam Boorse

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site

Yes. I even reset my whole phone and it still came back again even with the sd card out of it this time.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Yes. I even reset my whole phone and it still came back again even with the sd card out of it this time.

If you have removed the external card, and deleted all files on the phone, and you still see the indexing service, you have a bad phone. (hard to imagine, but you never know).Or you have something like Google Drive resyncing a bad file back onto the phone.

And as pointed out, you must charge to phone to over 90%, then run on battery, in order to reset the list of apps using battery.

I have tons of files. Nearly filling the internal storage, and nearly filling my external 64GB card. I now never have indexing show on the list, ever (after the above file that I did).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38