only complaint about the note 4 is the headphone jack placement, anyone agree?

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
You obviously have not heard your phone with a high-end set of headphones. You would not say such blaspheme. ;)

I have some Klipsch, old school Sonys (before Sony went cheap with their manufacturing process), some Beats by Dre (more high-hype than high-end IMO), some Jaybird Bluebuds X, some LG bluetooth earphones, and a few other no-name brands. I know how different some cheap earphones can sound vs some high end earphones.

My point is that the MP3 format is already handicapped in its delivery of great sound quality, thus arguing that you need a $400 set of earphones with a cord to get the best out of an already iffy source is like me arguing that my parents who never go over the speed limit need a Ferrari.

You've obviously never heard the true fidelity that comes from a vinyl record and a diamond tipped record player ;)

There is a huge difference between the headphones. Noise canceling and sound quality wise. Especially if u want a lot of bass. But for those who don't listen to music much, this is not understandable to u.

I walk in the city everyday. I usually have a jacket on. I slide my phone into my coat pocket in and out consistently. Having the jack at the bottom makes this process easier.

Try it walking around in ur home. The drooping wire over the screen and putting in the phone bottom first gets annoying after a while.

I guess if you measure the quality of headphones by "A lot of bass", then our definition of "quality headphones/earphones" is different. To me it's all about sound reproduction and sound fidelity. Beats by Dre is geared towards more "bass", and IMO is not a quality headphone, but to each his own. You may find their new bluetooth earphones to your liking, but to me I'd much rather hear the detail in the music. Anyone can manufacture bass. It takes great engineering to reproduce the detail in the music.

bapte

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I have some Klipsch, old school Sonys (before Sony went cheap with their manufacturing process), some Beats by Dre (more high-hype than high-end IMO), some Jaybird Bluebuds X, some LG bluetooth earphones, and a few other no-name brands. I know how different some cheap earphones can sound vs some high end earphones.

My point is that the MP3 format is already handicapped in its delivery of great sound quality, thus arguing that you need a $400 set of earphones with a cord to get the best out of an already iffy source is like me arguing that my parents who never go over the speed limit need a Ferrari.

You've obviously never heard the true fidelity that comes from a vinyl record and a diamond tipped record player ;)
Just because it's an mp3 does not mean all headphone will play the music the same. An mp3 does not limit drivers to one static limit.

Most audiophiles will agree 320kbps mp3 will sound as good as cd quality.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Just because it's an mp3 does not mean all headphone will play the music the same. An mp3 does not limit drivers to one static limit.

Most audiophiles will agree 320kbps mp3 will sound as good as cd quality.

My point is that you're not going to realize the benefit of using a $500 set of earphones on a source like MP3 over some similarly priced bluetooth earphones. If the cord is that big an issue for you then that's what I suggest. If you still think that a set of $500 corded earphones are an absolute must, then you're going to have to live with the location of the earphone jack.

bapte

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
My point is that you're not going to realize the benefit of using a $500 set of earphones on a source like MP3 over some similarly priced bluetooth earphones. If the cord is that big an issue for you then that's what I suggest. If you still think that a set of $500 corded earphones are an absolute must, then you're going to have to live with the location of the earphone jack.

Actually you will notice the difference.

feel free to walk around with you "high fidelity record player" though..

read the subject of this thread. And my posts. jack placement is nothing more then a convenience issue..

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Actually you will notice the difference.

feel free to walk around with you "high fidelity record player" though..

read the subject of this thread. And my posts. jack placement is nothing more then a convenience issue..

You mean, walk around with my Bluetooth earphones that produce about 98% of the sound quality (of YES CD quality music) of your $500 earphones for $300 less and without the cord bothering me? Works for me.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Until you go to an audiophile specialty, and plug in a set of these, you will always think the way you do.

I guess like a person who has been deaf or blind since birth, you're not missing a thing.not missing a thing.
609146.jpg

(btw-those ones above are $1500)

M3Stang

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the OP. I had an iPhone 5 before this and now whenever I have ny headphones in it gets in the way of my screen and I'm constantly brushing the wires away like hair from the screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Sure. For people who do not use headphones much. Going with a $20 pair of dispensable headsets is an option.

But for those who use headphones in the $200-$400 range, we're talking different ballparks.

I use headphones a lot. For those who use it occasionally at home and what not, would not see the benefits of the jack placements in contrast to someone who uses it everywhere.

I'm not saying the jack placement is a HUGE deal. Again it's just a convenience feature.

Now u have a $200 headphone? Like me?

Sure. For people who do not use headphones much. Going with a $20 pair of dispensable headsets is an option.

But for those who use headphones in the $200-$400 range, we're talking different ballparks.

I use headphones a lot. For those who use it occasionally at home and what not, would not see the benefits of the jack placements in contrast to someone who uses it everywhere.

I'm not saying the jack placement is a HUGE deal. Again it's just a convenience feature.

Which is it $200 or $400? My Bluebuds X cost close to $200, they're wireless, sweat resistant, give me about 6-7 hours of battery life, and rival some of my other wired earphones for sound. I'll take the convenience of wireless over wired since I use my device while I'm working out.

If I were a music producer then I could understand being an audio-snob, but just for everyday listening, you're fooling yourself if you think you need a wired set that's going to make that big a difference for listening to MP3s.

bapte

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Which is it $200 or $400? My Bluebuds X cost close to $200, they're wireless, sweat resistant, give me about 6-7 hours of battery life, and rival some of my other wired earphones for sound. I'll take the convenience of wireless over wired since I use my device while I'm working out.
I have many. ranging from $200-400.

If u use them as much as me. Bluetooth is more of a hassle. Unless u plan out ur days, or use them around ur house.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
As small of a feature of having the headphone jack at the bottom may seem. It actually makes quite a difference.

I use my headphones a lot. And I forgot how convenient it was having the jack at the bottom, until I switched to the note 4.

The wires is now drooping down over the phone, which is more annoying then you think if u use headphones a lot. And I usually put my phone in my pocket top down naturally which now I can't when using headphones.

For people who don't listen to music or talk on the phones with headphones much, I can see why the feature is meaningless. But for me it was a huge difference.

I use my headphones everyday, and I'm not bothered by the jack being on top, however, that is what I'm used to. Why do you need to stick your phone in your pocket top end down?

Last edited:

bapte

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I use my headphones everyday, and I'm not bothered by the jack being on top, however, that is what I'm used to. Why do you need to stick your ohone in your pocket top end down?

I think ive explained this but, how do you use your headphones? Just sitting in class/work/home?

I walk in the city everyday and have my headphones in listening to music and take calls on them as well. I consistently pull out/put in my phone into my coat pocket as i am walking or doing whatever. Naturally i will put my phone in my jacket side pocket with my hands as do most people, as i see them doing the same thing.

Walk around your house if you have to and see what feels natural, use your phone while walking then slide it into your pocket. If you want to put it in bottom side first, you will be fidgeting with it or flipping it.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Only speaking for myself, I use headphones all the time wireless and wired. However, when I go wireless, and I didn't see anybody mention it in this thread, I use my apt x Headphones. Both pairs of my Headphones in my Sig have apt x.. I think all the Note series have apt x. Which IMO is a biggee when using bluetooth. In fact, on the Note 3 forum, some people stated that not have apt x is a DEAL BREAKER for them. Here we are discussing sound, and wireless sound and nobody mentions apt x!!

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I only use the headphones when I plug in my aux cord to listen to music via the nightstand radio or in my vehicle. Never thought much about the placement of it. Used bluetooth headsets before the wrap around the ears kind seem to work well for the money.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I think ive explained this but, how do you use your headphones? Just sitting in class/work/home?

I walk in the city everyday and have my headphones in listening to music and take calls on them as well. I consistently pull out/put in my phone into my coat pocket as i am walking or doing whatever. Naturally i will put my phone in my jacket side pocket with my hands as do most people, as i see them doing the same thing.

Walk around your house if you have to and see what feels natural, use your phone while walking then slide it into your pocket. If you want to put it in bottom side first, you will be fidgeting with it or flipping it.

So you pull your phone out and then flip it around? When I do store my phone in a pocket, I pull it out and don't worry about flipping it around because the headphone jack would be at the top. I still don't see how having the headphone jack on the bottom is a better design.

bapte

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
So you pull your phone out and then flip it around? When I do store my phone in a pocket, I pull it out and don't worry about flipping it around because the headphone jack would be at the top. I still don't see how having the headphone jack on the bottom is a better design.

Thing is unless you use headphones a lot while your out and about, you will not understand.
You obviously do not use headphones much or use a wired one at that (since you apparently use your bluetooth ones). So the jack placement does not apply to you. I dont know why you would be getting so defensive of a feature that does not even apply to you or even affect you at that..

Try putting your phone in bottom first after using it.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Thing is unless you use headphones a lot while your out and about, you will not understand.
You obviously do not use headphones much or use a wired one at that (since you apparently use your bluetooth ones). So the jack placement does not apply to you. I dont know why you would be getting so defensive of a feature that does not even apply to you or even affect you at that..

Try putting your phone in bottom first after using it.

I used wired earphones all the time when I traveled for work (hours in an airplane with limited space is definitely a challenge). I would put my Note 3 (same setup) in my jacket's front pocket. When I needed to pull my phone out, I would reach in with my right hand (put in my left coat pocket), pull the phone out, and do what I needed without having to worry about flipping it around. The earphone cord, as I stated, I'd put the cord INSIDE my hand while I held the phone. Unless you have a 1 foot headphone cable, then it's just as easy to hold the cable behind the screen. I don't know why it's so hard to adapt to the headphone jack placement, but then again I've been known to adapt to my surrounding environment.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I much prefer the jack at the top. I only used wired headsets. I've never been able to stand using bluetooth. When I had a phone with the headphone jack at the bottom, I couldn't stand it. The entire 2 years I had the phone all I could think every time I used it was how much I hated that the jack was at the bottom.

Obviously they have to put the jack in one place and so can't please everyone. Some people like me hate it at the bottom and like it at the top and other people like the OP feel the opposite. Someone's going to be happy and unhappy either way for those of us who prefer to use wired headsets.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I only prefer the bottom because my coupe (a 2008) only has hands free for calls meaning when docked the AUX works better. Otherwise, being on top is great when I'm using it at LA Fitness.

tapatalk LG pro D852

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non