Samsung Galaxy Note 4 All the recent iPhone converts...do you miss anything?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: All the recent iPhone converts...do you miss anything?

I've never owned an iPhone so feel free to disregard my comments. However, I am absolutely SURROUNDED with iPhones at work, and when i'm with my inlaws. Everyone around me aside from my own family owns straight iPhone/iPads.

In my experience with talking to them and having them show me stuff, I see the two ecosystems as comparable to a burger joint. Apple is like In-n-Out burger, where you go in and can pretty much only choose from the same thing, in 3 different sizes. There really isn't much else to look at or choose, but they do those 3 burgers REALLY well. Sure, there's a few secret menu items (jailbreaking) but unless you want the hassle you just go with what's on their menu.

Then with Android you've got most of the other options: Burger King, Wendy's, McD's, etc where you can "Have it your Way". There are a lot of choices on the menu, and you can pick and choose a lot of various toppings. Sure, it can seem overwhelming if you walk in having no clue what you want, and sometimes the servers can mess up your order because there's too many options and it's easy to make a mistake. But if you go in knowing you want a burger with bacon and guac, you can quickly eliminate 90% of the menu and it becomes much less confusing and frustrating. The key is to not try to take it all in at once like a binge, just go for what you know you want specifically.

That's the best way I can differentiate it to people who want me to describe the differences. I kinda drew out the scenario to absurdity in this post, but that's just how I see it. Personally, I LOVE choice and I love being able to have something different than everyone around me. I love improvements and innovative features that may be gimmicky and stupid, but at the same time they may be game changing. If it was 2007, i'd own an iPhone for sure. Even as late as 2009. But the last 5 years, the easy choice for me has been Android.

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

If you use WhatsApp to send photos or video the quality is much better than the standard MMS. Not quite iMessage quality...but real good.

Mark Lem

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site

iphones I've had for past 3 years were 100% reliable in connecting to my car bluetooth. My note 4 upon initial configuration synched with the car but the lsat 4 times i've gotten in the car there is no connection...

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I went into the Verizon store to get the Droid Turbo and they happened to have a few Iphone 6+ in stock and I couldn't decide... so I got both... and the Droid is unbelievable.... But the Iphone is also amazing and my entire family is Apple...

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Photos are decent on the Note 4 but a lot of photos taken come out over saturated vs the iPhone 6+'s camera. I also miss the consistency of the iPhone camera as well.

annette075

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Right now I am currently missing the ability to make separate photo albums for different photo's, but I think I can figure out a solution to that hopefully. Also, the banner ads in the apps are so annoying and I don't remember having this problem with my I Phone. If I can get these annoyances worked out then I think I will not really miss the I Phone.

skyeking69

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

I've had iPhones since they were introduced....went from a 5s to Note 4 because of a few reasons...
work buddies who were Android guys kept on me, on a 6+ waiting list forever!! ( here in Canada)
and lastly I went into my local Apple store 29 times no associate ever came over and asked if they could help...
Since I have a iMac, iPad air,Macbook Pro and iPhone.....guess that bugged me a little

Love the Note 4....just getting use to the Android way and the size of the phone!!! wow!
I wish I could transfer my iPhone text messages over....I few I really wanted to keep
I have them backed up on my Macbook.......But generally happy with the Note 4
once I get use to the system I'm sure I'll be happier....
... One thing..I had to jailbreak all my iPhones to be happy...
all I did was use a different launcher with the Note......would like to try a Root one day... :)

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site

iMessage, iMessage, and iMessage.

That is the best part about iOS that people do not talk about enough (I understand that that is an oxymoron).

ahsinat

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

mostly imessage, the camera and facetime. that's about it.

iphone has always been superior in the camera.. most androids cameras are worth the price of the phone itself. (a ~$200 iphone will have a better camera than a ~$200 android) though lately most android companies have been going hard in making nice products.

i've mostly had samsung androids which im not a huge fan of at all.. but LG, Google & HTC have really proven themselves.

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Not really. I have an HTC One M8 and a Moto X 2014 but now I'm mainly using the Moto X as the daily driver. I love the amoled screen and the size is pefect for me. The screen real estate is slightly bigger than the HTC One M8 and I like the richer colors that amoled screens provide. The only thing that is missing from the Moto X 2014 is the memory expansion capability. Other than that, I wouldn't trade it for my previous iPhone 5S nor a new iPhone 6.

All the apps I use on a regular basis are available on android and I was able to get my music and videos saved from my itunes account so i can load them on my Moto X or M8 as I need.

In short....no going back for me and no regrets!

rob6070

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm torn because there are still times I need my iPad air out w clients and miss the ability to just check my texts and imesaage on my iPad.
My goal w note 4 was to not carry 2 devices my 5s and iPad air.
First world problems I know

Posted via the Android Central App on my Note 4

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I've only had my Note 4 for 2 days so I'm not sure what else I'll miss from my iPhone 5, or what features I will discover soon that will solve any problems I have. But so far I miss the ability to just swipe anywhere on the screen forward or back on a webpage instead of using arrows, the quick swipe up shortcut for a flashlight, and the ability to have separate notification sounds for texts and emails/FB notifications.

iOS is smooth and fast without a doubt, and nothing will match their software/hardware integration or their app selection (yet) but so far the Note is plenty fast and smooth for me. Plus, I found that I didn't use any of the non-Android apps nearly as much as I thought I would, and I was tired of running out of space and unwilling to spend $100 per storage upgrade.

I'm also an artist who loves the fact that I now have a portable, digital sketchbook. When it comes down to it, a phone is a phone - they all make calls/texts, surf the web and play games. Nothing besides interface, speed and build quality really separates one smartphone over another, but the fact that the Note has a pen makes it different in so many ways. I may be speaking way too soon but I forsee myself being a Samsung Note owner from now on.

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site

I've had iPhones since they were introduced....went from a 5s to Note 4 because of a few reasons...
work buddies who were Android guys kept on me, on a 6+ waiting list forever!! ( here in Canada)
and lastly I went into my local Apple store 29 times no associate ever came over and asked if they could help...
Since I have a iMac, iPad air,Macbook Pro and iPhone.....guess that bugged me a little

Love the Note 4....just getting use to the Android way and the size of the phone!!! wow!
I wish I could transfer my iPhone text messages over....I few I really wanted to keep
I have them backed up on my Macbook.......But generally happy with the Note 4
once I get use to the system I'm sure I'll be happier....
... One thing..I had to jailbreak all my iPhones to be happy...
all I did was use a different launcher with the Note......would like to try a Root one day... :)

Samsung smart switch will transfer all your sms, notes, contacts etc, i transferred over 20 k sms from iPhone.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

I miss some of the gaming apps. GT Racing 2 was optimized for the iPhone 6 Plus that I owned and the graphics were amazing .Games for Android haven't been updated yet to support the 1440 p resolution yet so games don't look as crisp, but when they do, watch out. The iPhone 6 Plus was awesome, but I love my Note 4. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

skyeking69

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

Samsung smart switch will transfer all your sms, notes, contacts etc, i transferred over 20 k sms from iPhone.

Thanks...I tried that, Smart Switch said my messages were transferred however none showed up on my Note 4 ???
any ideas with that ?

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site

Thanks...I tried that, Smart Switch said my messages were transferred however none showed up on my Note 4 ???
any ideas with that ?

This happens if you close the smart switch from background, also once the transfer starts you will see the percentage bar in notification center, don't close smart switch until that's 100%.

Deepening upon how many sms you have, stock message will lag a lot, i recommend using textra or google messenger app, also in stock app uncheck delete old message else your message will del after that threshold.

QuickSilver8

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

I have been a iPhone user since the first one was released. Ever since then I have made sure that I had the "latest and greatest iPhone"; always upgraded to the newest one. However I recently got sick of iPhone not doing what they claim to do, which is "innovate".

I decided to part with the iPhone and purchase the Note 4. It was a very difficult decision due to the fact that apple had me on "lock". With two mac pros, a imac, ipad, time capsule; it was very difficult to make the decision to finally introduce a samsung product to the current line up. I made the move I went from the iphone 5s to the Note 4 and not one single regret. I absolutely love the Note! Now its the big decision to root or not to root.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I have been a iPhone user since the first one was released. Ever since then I have made sure that I had the "latest and greatest iPhone"; always upgraded to the newest one. However I recently got sick of iPhone not doing what they claim to do, which is "innovate".

I decided to part with the iPhone and purchase the Note 4. It was a very difficult decision due to the fact that apple had me on "lock". With two mac pros, a imac, ipad, time capsule; it was very difficult to make the decision to finally introduce a samsung product to the current line up. I made the move I went from the iphone 5s to the Note 4 and not one single regret. I absolutely love the Note! Now its the big decision to root or not to root.

There is pro's & Cons to rooting but for the most part it's all good if you want to customize your Note to your liking.

I am currently on Echo Rom & AEL 4.1 kernel and this Note of mine is ready for liftoff.

It's really upto you how far you want to go but once you flash a custom rom you can't receive Official updates.

This doesn't bother me as I far more enjoy what the great devs over at Xda cook up.

Glad your liking your Note 4 :)

Posted via the Android Central App

skyeking69

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

This happens if you close the smart switch from background, also once the transfer starts you will see the percentage bar in notification center, don't close smart switch until that's 100%.

Deepening upon how many sms you have, stock message will lag a lot, i recommend using textra or google messenger app, also in stock app uncheck delete old message else your message will del after that threshold.

I'll try that again.....I have tried several times....it takes a while and I only check the message box only when I transfer...
I use Chomp for text message.....Still trying different apps....didn't really like Google Messenger, too plain like stock iPhone

Also I'm looking into a Root....maybe.....saw the FireKat root over at XDA....looks great
Not sure I have the skills to install it??