Slow Motion Video Sound?

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
So I have found the slow-mo video feature to be awesome on my Note 4 (also had it on my N3). But I am kind of chapped that the iPhone slow mo has sound where as my N4 does not. I figure if Apple can figure it out, why cant Samsung? Anyway, I was wondering if maybe I have missed something, or if there are any third party apps out there that do slow mo video with sound. And if so, what do you guys recommend? Thanks for the help!

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I kind of like there is no sound. Why would slow MO sound need to be heard? That's just me.

NOTE 4,, GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you to a point. One of the main things I do with it is use it to analyze golf swings, in which sound is not really needed/wanted. However, I have found that when I use it on action shots (filming my nephew's motorcycle race), it definitely was missed.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
So true slow motion has no sound on professional cameras. I have a Sony CineAlta camera and it will do slow motion and time lapse neither of which records audio. It really does not make sense given you are altering the frame rate. If it is slow motion video how would you play back the audio? It would be so distorted it would not be understandable. If you want audio I would start recording using voice recorder or I like Hi-FiCorder and dub it on the video. Still presents a problem syncing video and audio, the audio would be said and done and the slow-mo video 1/2 or 1/4 of the way done.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I felt the same way when I had my Galaxy S5...Slow Motion with sound adds a more appealing affect to the video. I have the Xperia Z3 and its slow motion has sound, and its actually pretty funny to watch

EddieBx

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to start and stop the slow motion I can't work it out. For example video starts normal speed and then you flick to slow motion. If not any decent editing app to do this?

emerrow

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I really like how apple executes the iphone's slow motion. As stated before, it does have audio which is a fantastic feature. The iPhone's slow motion also just looks better than the note 4's slow motion. I've been comparing my girlfriend's 6+ camera and my note 4 camera, and to my eyes slow motion the only aspect of the iPhone's camera that 100% beats the note 4's camera. I'm unsure as to whether or not there's an app to record sound with slow motion, but I'm going to assume that its probably a limitation of the phone's hardware/software.
But even when jumping up into the dslr camera market, different cameras offer different features. Sony's A7s offers slow motion with audio, whereas Panasonic's GH4 has slow motion, but no audio.

Latrell567

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Not really on Android. If you have kind of a bad camera I guess, then sure. I'm new here and on my Motorola Droid MAXX, slo-mo is 720P, I think 1080 or 4K on my Galaxy S5 so I'm not sure. Keep looking on Google for more info :)

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why the audio in slomo is even an issue. It does not make any sense at all to have five seconds of real time recorded and played back over 10 seconds with WhhahWahahWaaahhah audio playing. Whatis the deal? How can the iphone play back slow moton video without slow audio play back occuring? If you want audio record the audio and dub it on some how, exactly how the time stamps will get alligned between the video and audio I could not tell you.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
So far I haven't found any app that replicates the slow mo feature of the Iphone, in saying that if you record a video on the Note 4 using the normal 1080p rate in normal mode - you can then alter the play back speed of the file. Open up the video you just recorded, NB you need to be playing the file first. In the top right hand side select the three dots, select settings, select "play speed" - this will then display a speed indicator on the video, which can be altered from slow to normal to fast. Only problem is, it doesn't save like that.

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why the audio in slomo is even an issue. It does not make any sense at all to have five seconds of real time recorded and played back over 10 seconds with WhhahWahahWaaahhah audio playing. Whatis the deal? How can the iphone play back slow moton video without slow audio play back occuring? If you want audio record the audio and dub it on some how, exactly how the time stamps will get alligned between the video and audio I could not tell you.

I suggest you watch some "The Slow Mo Guys" videos on youtube to better understand the importance of having audio on a slow motion video recording. It adds a certain effect that's valuable for some productions. Sure, some people would prefer slow mo videos without audio, but that is a matter of preference. What's essential is to give users a choice of whether they want audio or not, not lack the capability altogether.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I suggest you watch some "The Slow Mo Guys" videos on youtube to better understand the importance of having audio on a slow motion video recording. It adds a certain effect that's valuable for some productions. Sure, some people would prefer slow mo videos without audio, but that is a matter of preference. What's essential is to give users a choice of whether they want audio or not, not lack the capability altogether.

So the videos you refer to are full productions. The audio is produced by professional sound team and dubbed on by a real audio production team. It is not nothing like the audio that is recorded by your phone/camera. Here is a perfect example I just produced. I took a short video and changed the playback by 1/2 so the audio is stretched making the narrator (me) impossible to understand and really adds no real content to the result.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F119130419&token=kvAL1TMI

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
So the videos you refer to are full productions. The audio is produced by professional sound team and dubbed on by a real audio production team. It is not nothing like the audio that is recorded by your phone/camera. Here is a perfect example I just produced. I took a short video and changed the playback by 1/2 so the audio is stretched making the narrator (me) impossible to understand and really adds no real content to the result.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F119130419&token=ByD_ks37

And yet, to me, it's still a better viewing experience than watching a silent video. Like I said, this area is subjective and opinions will vary to each person's preference. What's important is having the option to record audio if one so desires. Having the option is *never* a bad thing, surely this concept cannot be lost on you.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
So I just did a test recording. I simultaneously recorded real time audio using HiFi recorder and recorded 1/8 speed 1280X720 video. It worked just fine. In the future I may choose that option and that way in post production I could manipulate parts of the audio so they can be understood and the other parts can be stretched to match extended length of the slow-mo clip. I would think that method would be easier to deal with than recording audio at a high rate and slowing it down to be understandable in post.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
In low light yes. With good lighting, especially natural lighting, the quality improves

No it doesn't. Do u notice the slow motion quality is not nearly as good as a regular recording? Zooms slightly zoomed in and over sharpened. Its really horrible. Like 240 or 360 upscaled bad.

Posted via the Android Central App