How do I make my screen turn on when I move it away from my face during a call?

deenug666

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Screen Display Issue

While on a call the screen turns off, and when I pull the phone away from my face it stays off. How do I make the screen turn on when I move it away from my face?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Scree Display Issue

The proximity sensor might be obscured by something. Make sure the area is clean (the sensor is near the front-facing camera). If you have a screen protector, consider removing it. If you have a case that doesn't fit very well, make sure it doesn't hang over that area.

I recall that certain Samsung devices had a proximity sensor that was actually recessed, thus making it easier for bits of lint or dust to clog it up, and thus constantly trigger the sensor while on a call. If the Note 4's sensor is like that, make sure the area is clear of debris.

deenug666

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

No, it's not recessed. No case. Screen is completely clean of any debris. Any other ideas or setting I may have set wrong? I though maybe the Smart Stay, but it does the same thing while checked on and off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Not sure--I don't have a Note 4 myself. Open Dialer, tap Menu, and check the Call Settings to see if there is an option to adjust there.

deenug666

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Turns out the Proximity Sensor was bad. I was within my 14 day return policy so I just swapped it for a new one.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

I think my sensor may be bad but I am out of my 14 day period. My smart stay will not keep the screen on while I am looking at it

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site

I think my sensor may be bad but I am out of my 14 day period. My smart stay will not keep the screen on while I am looking at it

But still, you should be under manufacturer warranty if you didnt get insurance. I've called Samsung before and if it's a product defect they are pretty good about it. Call your carrier and if the won't exchange then ask them for the Samsung support number. They should give it to you. Now it may require you being without your device for a week or 2.

Posted via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4

brothamoveson

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Screen Display Issue

My carrier is AT&T they are pretty good about warranty exchanges. Contact your carriers tech support and you should get a replacement.

Posted from my Note 4 baby.

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

While you may have a problem, I believe it is the camera that functions with Smart Stay. The proximity sensor only senses closeness to the screen, like inches. There was one person whose screen would not go off and he thought it was a bad phone. He had Smart Stay enabled and there was a poster on the ceiling of a person and the camera was sensing the eyes of the poster.
Good Luck!
Ron

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95