New Note 4 Owner

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I made the jump today from a Lumia 1020 to a Note 4. I'm completely blown away by how good this phone is.

My main concern was about the camera and whether or not it was good enough to replace the Lumia. From a brief play with it I don't think I'll have any issues, it's perfectly good.

The first thing I did was install the Google Now launcher. It's a very smooth phone and is a pleasure to use.

It pains me to say this, but Android is streets ahead of Windows Phone in terms of apps and app quality. So far I'm very pleased with my decision.

Posted via the Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Glad your having a great note experience, its a very nice device and has all the fun stuff that I particularly look for.

The camera gets mixed reviews as it would (the extent varies from user to user) but all the photos I have taken thus far have been fantastic.

Have a wonderful noteworthy christmas :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You'll find that the difference between a 41MP camera (it's effectively 38MP) and a 16MP camera is too small to see on a phone screen. If you display the pictures on a 60" TV, you might see some difference, but it really becomes apparent if you print the picture at least 8 feet long on the short side and look at it from a foot away (a small part at a time, of course).

But for everyday use even a good photographer couldn't tell you which picture was taken by which camera if it's on the phone or posted on the web (unless you post it in Raw format in full size, which would take a while to load a picture of 38MP, and only a tiny part would be on th screen at any given scroll position).

Try a few different camera apps and learn where they meter. That's one of the most important things in getting a good picture. (Metering on a spotlight at a concert will show you a dim stage and a silhouetted audience. Metering on the back of the person in front of you will give you a washed-out stage and terrible glare from the spotlight. Meter the part you want exposed correctly. And don't use an app that does averaging - that just incorrectly exposes the entire picture, rather than just most of it.) Learn the rule of thirds. Find an app that gives you more control over the camera. (Camera FV-5 Lite is a start.)

Ansel Adams was probably one of America's greatest photographers and he took some great shots with a little Kodak Brownie, just to show it could be done. Matthew Brady's portrait of Lincoln shows the man inside the body, the temperament - and photography was very primitive in those days. It's not the camera, it's the person using it. And while Dorothea Lange used a Graflex (one of the best cameras of the day), if you look at her pictures, you'll see that what took them was what was between her ears, not what was in her hands.

Robin Hebert

Banned
Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
You'll find that the difference between a 41MP camera (it's effectively 38MP) and a 16MP camera is too small to see on a phone screen. If you display the pictures on a 60" TV, you might see some difference, but it really becomes apparent if you print the picture at least 8 feet long on the short side and look at it from a foot away (a small part at a time, of course).

But for everyday use even a good photographer couldn't tell you which picture was taken by which camera if it's on the phone or posted on the web (unless you post it in Raw format in full size, which would take a while to load a picture of 38MP, and only a tiny part would be on th screen at any given scroll position).

Try a few different camera apps and learn where they meter. That's one of the most important things in getting a good picture. (Metering on a spotlight at a concert will show you a dim stage and a silhouetted audience. Metering on the back of the person in front of you will give you a washed-out stage and terrible glare from the spotlight. Meter the part you want exposed correctly. And don't use an app that does averaging - that just incorrectly exposes the entire picture, rather than just most of it.) Learn the rule of thirds. Find an app that gives you more control over the camera. (Camera FV-5 Lite is a start.)

Ansel Adams was probably one of America's greatest photographers and he took some great shots with a little Kodak Brownie, just to show it could be done. Matthew Brady's portrait of Lincoln shows the man inside the body, the temperament - and photography was very primitive in those days. It's not the camera, it's the person using it. And while Dorothea Lange used a Graflex (one of the best cameras of the day), if you look at her pictures, you'll see that what took them was what was between her ears, not what was in her hands.

Wow very well said

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I've had some absolutely phenomenal pictures (stills, not motion) I've taken with my Note 4. Below is the best picture I've ever taken with any camera (point and shoot or smartphone, I've never owned a high-end camera).

I'm still trying to learn how to take a great motion shot. The smallest movement (arms, legs, heads) gets blurred.

I attached two example photos. The tree is my best shot so far. It's an HDR picture enhanced with the Snapseed app (great editing app).

Notice the basketball in the other one in the top center of the picture is being thrown to Coach Calipari for his autograph. It's blurry.

Attachments

• 1419895694138.jpg
    1419895694138.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 1419895724594.jpg
    1419895724594.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 60

bernardcote

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Not following them as much as I should. I put basketball behind me now. Family and work kinda took over!

Cheers

Posted via the Android Central App on my Note 4 which makes me miss pure Android sometimes...