I discovered -- by accident -- that you can reply to text messages from the "Fingerprint secured" lock screen (sorta).

Normally if you get a text message while your phone is locked, you see a preview of the text message (if you have the feature turned on), but then you have to unlock your screen and reply to the text using the popup (if that is activated), and then re-lock the screen.

Now if you get a text message, just swipe the "Emergency Call" icon instead, and the text popup will be there and you are able to reply from there, and the phone is still locked when you are done.

P.S. I only tried this with the fingerprint lock, but it may work with PIN or pattern.
    Katrina White1 likes this.
    01-20-2015 10:35 AM
    Interesting. It just so happens that I just got a text (after reading this a few minutes ago) and tried this. I like it for simplicity, but not for security. I have a pin lock. I hardly ever get top secret texts so, yeah. It's cool. Nice tip

SGN4 :-D
    01-20-2015 11:41 AM
    I discovered -- by accident -- that you can reply to text messages from the "Fingerprint secured" lock screen (sorta).

Normally if you get a text message while your phone is locked, you see a preview of the text message (if you have the feature turned on), but then you have to unlock your screen and reply to the text using the popup (if that is activated), and then re-lock the screen.

Now if you get a text message, just swipe the "Emergency Call" icon instead, and the text popup will be there and you are able to reply from there, and the phone is still locked when you are done.

P.S. I only tried this with the fingerprint lock, but it may work with PIN or pattern.
    hmm...I use Chomp SMS which has the Lock screen popups and allows me to reply instantaneously...No matter what kind of security pattern I have on the lock screen!

but thanks for sharing!
    Harlemknight likes this.
    01-20-2015 11:57 AM
    Interesting. It just so happens that I just got a text (after reading this a few minutes ago) and tried this. I like it for simplicity, but not for security. I have a pin lock. I hardly ever get top secret texts so, yeah. It's cool. Nice tip

The good thing (Security wise) is that the ONLY message you can see/reply to is the current one. i.e. you can't get into the SMS app via this method.
    Katrina White1 likes this.
    01-20-2015 12:25 PM
    The good thing (Security wise) is that the ONLY message you can see/reply to is the current one. i.e. you can't get into the SMS app via this method.
    Right! Thank goodness for that 😊

01-20-2015 12:27 PM