Updating android version for Rooted phones question

Zoura20

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi so my note 4 is some what new i have had it for 4 days now and decided to root crazy huh. I love that i can monitor cpu and use all the wounderful root only apps but i have a question. Is it possible to get OTA updates without losing root. I saw a video from xda saying that it is possible but things change. Also what is the safest way to install a rom? Since updating looked just like installing a rom i was woundering what the safest way to do so. Finally when you install a rom will you have to reactivate the device and when installing the rom will yoy lose all the apps you had installed?

Posted via the Android Central App

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
First Rule of Rooting ........
Never ACCEPT any Stock Firmware OTAs...!!!

Don't brick your device.

Bootloader and Recoveries might be different.

Galaxy Note 4

Galaxy S III
LG G2
If it ain't Tech, it ain't Right.

Zoura20

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I get that but my question is if there is a way to update with out being bricked or loseing root? Also i have the sprint note 4 and was woundering what is the best rom for it?

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If while rooted you change something that a stock update will conflict with, the phone will brick. What can that be? Thousands of things in hundreds of files. That's why the update checks for root (among other things) and is supposed to "fail" if the phone is, or has ever been, rooted.

So, no, there's no way to do a stock update to a rooted phone and be sure that it won't brick. Do a full update, make sure you have a stock (or rooted) ROM to flash to the phone, try the update, if it doesn't work (because th phone is rooted) unroot and try again. If it still fails, you'll have to flash the stock ROM - even rooted, the phone shows signs of having been rooted once.

If the update bricks the phone, you can flash the stock ROM, update, then root (if there's a root method for the version you update to).

As far as the best ROM, that's like the best flavor of ice cream. There's no ROM that's best at everything. Do you want more control over the user interface? More control over the CPU speed? A faster ROM? One that uses less battery (which will probably be slower)? The best ROM - for you - is the one that does what you want, and doesn't do what you don't want. If the stock ROM does what you want and doesn't do what you don't want (there are a lot of things you can do with apps - you don't need a different ROM just to, say, get rid of TouchWiz), that's the best one for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty