Question Trying to install custom rom for LG Optimus One V

XGamer

Dec 16, 2023
Visit site
I have a few questions regarding me upgrading my old LG Optimus One V.

This is my first time doing this, so some of this might sound dumb to you guys.

Frist of all, I have heard mixed info on this subject, but can I install Any custom rom for android or just ones close to what I have. Obviously you cant put android 13 on such a old phone, but how high can I go?

Secondly I should put out the fact that this phone is so old it wont connect to the internet.

This is a quite the problem because this phone chased some time ago and it lost its file manger.

So I have no "easy way" to root or install the new Rom.

I found a program Kingo ROOT and managed to root my phone, but then when trying to use ADB and Fastboot to install teamWin TWRP I get to the fastboot screen on my phone but then it says stall get descriptor suspend.

I can get back into my phone by taking out the battery and rebooting, so I don't think I "Soft bricked" It.
Could someone answer these questions and/or take me through the process?
Thanks if you can.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I seriously don't think it's worth going down this road. For one, that phone was released over 10 years ago, and was only a low spec entry level phone to boot. I had the S variant for Sprint, and it was ok for its time and intended use, but you're unlikely be able to go more than one OS version higher than it currently has. That is still going to be ancient by phone standards, slow in use, and prone to who knows how many security threats. There's no way it'd be able to run anything remotely new enough to be considered secure.

To top it off, Kingo Root (and the similarly named King Root, and other "one click root" services) are known to also install some data trackers that will invade your privacy. Since you already used it, I would suggest you research that issue and how to remove it and any trackers if possible. I seem to remember it can be done, but I'm going off memory at the moment.

Honestly, it's time to move on. That phone should be sent to a recycler. I would only keep this phone if you are someone curious about rooting and roms in general and want something to practice on that doesn't have any important or private info on it. If you decide to go that route, you will have to seek out a ROM for your specific model/version of the phone. I wouldn't even put a ROM meant for the S variant on yours because there were differences back in the day that made them extremely specific on which phones they were for. The XDA Developers forum would be more helpful for this sort of thing. You could dig around the old threads of their site and look for info on custom ROMs for your phone, and also more info about the Kingo Root concerns.

XGamer

Dec 16, 2023
Visit site
Ok, thank you for responding!
This phone is not actually being used for calls or even our main phone. Its a hand me down that I wanted to bring back to life.
Privacy is not a issue, I am not putting anything important on it. This phone wont even get internet.
(Where we live is remote so I would have to use a USB to ethernet cable.) All I want to use it for is a Bluetooth controller for my model train speaker.
But could you tell me this. If I cant get that much newer of a rom for this thing, will the custom versions of the rom that is already installed allow me to run new apps?
If not then I will forget the whole thing.

Thank you again Mooncatt.
You are the only person who has tolled me anything so far!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
But could you tell me this. If I cant get that much newer of a rom for this thing, will the custom versions of the rom that is already installed allow me to run new apps?
If not then I will forget the whole thing.

If we assume you find a workable ROM, you could theoretically install apps, but it comes with a huge caveat. We'd need more info about apps you plan to install, but there's a high chance they wouldn't work on either the stock or custom OS due to the low spec issue. If the app is something you planned to get from the Google Play store, it's also likely it's version locked to only install on much newer OS versions that your phone wouldn't support.

If you could explain more about the app(s) in question, like what it does and where to find it, it may change things some, but I'm still thinking you'll be asking too much of the phone. I'm not sure what you mean by a Bluetooth speaker controller for your trains.

XGamer

Dec 16, 2023
Visit site
If we assume you find a workable ROM, you could theoretically install apps, but it comes with a huge caveat. We'd need more info about apps you plan to install, but there's a high chance they wouldn't work on either the stock or custom OS due to the low spec issue. If the app is something you planned to get from the Google Play store, it's also likely it's version locked to only install on much newer OS versions that your phone wouldn't support.

If you could explain more about the app(s) in question, like what it does and where to find it, it may change things some, but I'm still thinking you'll be asking too much of the phone. I'm not sure what you mean by a Bluetooth speaker controller for your trains.
OK, I understand.
It is the Bachmann EZ app.
Here is a video.
The app is used for controlling trains, but if you by a Bluetooth speaker you can stream the sound to it.
Like this.

Just thought It would be cool to have such a small old phone be able to do that. I should note that the first video is 8yers old, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
From the little bit I looked at of the app, you wouldn't be able to run it if you got it off the Play Store because it'll surely have such operating systems deprecated by now. You'd have to seek out an alternative source, which I generally don't recommend. Many say APK Mirror is an ok site to try, but it's not one I've personally used. The concern is the higher chance of having malicious apps listed in place of the real ones. If you can download the APK onto the phone and get it to install, you may get lucky. It seems to be a relatively lightweight app. Though I would try this on the stock OS first. Since you're not going to gain much, if anything, from a custom OS, I wouldn't bother with that idea anymore. It may even make things worse if it requires more resources than the current one uses.

XGamer

Dec 16, 2023
Visit site
Yeah you are probably right.
At this point I have graven up anyway and am looking for a cheap phone.
If someone on XDA forms says otherwise then I may try, but for now I will do something else.
Thanks again Mooncatt, Talk to you soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter