Smart Lock and battery use

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Before I do a factory reset, I have a question. I have Smart Lock tuned in all day with my Gear Fit watch. What kind of battery drainage should I expect from the Bluetooth working all day? My battery is not horrid but it's still draining about twice as fast or more than usual.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Your Bluetooth is working all day hooked to your watch, so I would think as long as the connection is there anyway there shouldn't be an increase in battery usage.

By the way, I have my gear hooked to smart lock also, I find that it's about 50/50 that it's working. I still have to do my pattern a lot, are you experiencing this?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Your Bluetooth is working all day hooked to your watch, so I would think as long as the connection is there anyway there shouldn't be an increase in battery usage.

By the way, I have my gear hooked to smart lock also, I find that it's about 50/50 that it's working. I still have to do my pattern a lot, are you experiencing this?

My Smart Lock and watch are working great. The only time I need my pin is after I have rebooted and turned on the phone I have to pin one more time or if I have been alseep for like six hours. But these are the only times.

As for my battery drain I gave into the factory reset and it is much better now.

Posted via the Android Central App

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I updated my Verizon Note 4 to 5.0.1 on Friday and didn't do a factory reset right away. I gave it a day to get a feel for it first. Things were looking good after the update, overall, so I enabled Smart Lock to see how that worked, and it was great. I set up my home as a trusted location. I liked it a lot. The mistake I made was reading many, many posts here recommending a factory reset, so I got the bug to do it, regardless of the fact that I had no issues after the update. I began by making a Kies backup of everything it allows to be backed up. With that done, I took the plunge and did the factory reset on Saturday. That also went without a hitch. Once I got the phone set up, I logged in and did a restore from Kies. That did not go as expected. It only restored about 90 of 120 apps, and the apps it did restore were as if they were just installed. They did not retain any of their configurations, so I had to re-login to the ones that required logins and set them all up again. I'm still not done setting them all back up. At some point along this recovery route, I set up Smart Lock again, just like I had done before the factory reset. Much to my chagrin, Smart Lock no longer works after configuring it for my home as a trusted location. Sigh. After pressing the power button to sleep, it comes back with the PIN keypad instead of allowing just a swipe. Every time. However, as a test, I was at my nephew's house on Sunday for Easter and set up his house as a trusted location. Bingo. His location worked. So when I got home, I deleted my home as a trusted location, rebooted and cleared the cache partition, and re-created my home as a trusted location. No dice. I tried this sequence, or variations thereof, at least 6 times and it just will not work using my home as a trusted location anymore. I'm very disappointed and I'm giving Smart Lock a rest for awhile while I continue getting all my apps functional again.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Are you inputting an address? Try having the GPS figure out the coordinates instead and then zoom out to get a bigger radius.

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Are you inputting an address? Try having the GPS figure out the coordinates instead and then zoom out to get a bigger radius.

I did try that in a couple of my 6 attempts to get it to work. Still didn't work.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Since this is the 1st Monday on lollipop, I just added work as trusted location but the Sucker doesn't want to work. Had no problems with home location. Only difference is that I only have 3 g at work. Hmmmm

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
When I first got Lollipop and tried to set up my home as a trusted site, it was not working. I may have been doing it wrong as well, but it sounds like you know how to get it done.

The nice thing about having the watch is that I never have to set it up anywhere else and the watch doesn't have a long range so if I drop my phone it will disconnect quickly and the pin requirement will show up. That watch, in fact, helped me find my phone in a grocery store after I did drop it (a rare occurrence).

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
When I first got Lollipop and tried to set up my home as a trusted site, it was not working. I may have been doing it wrong as well, but it sounds like you know how to get it done.

The nice thing about having the watch is that I never have to set it up anywhere else and the watch doesn't have a long range so if I drop my phone it will disconnect quickly and the pin requirement will show up. That watch, in fact, helped me find my phone in a grocery store after I did drop it (a rare occurrence).

I have fitbit, but having Bluetooth on all the time worry me a bit. Faster battery drain?

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had smart lock set up and working before I did a reset and now it won't work. It shows Google lock is on and when I click on smart lock it makes me enter my pattern then just goes back to the same page ot was on before in the security settings. Any ideas?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Now that the reset has been done and things are settling down, I did a stand by test this morning. The phone is using no more and maybe less than 1 percent per hour on standby and that is with wifi, bluetooth and locations turned on. I find this fair and a sign the phone is healthy. Today I will use it as normal. I am sure I will get a full day out of the battery again.

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well after playing with it a little bit, it appears smart lock only works with fingerprint security not pin, pattern, or password. Wtf.

Well after posting this it started working with my pattern lock out of the blue.

Last edited: