5.0.1 - Notification bar icons on Lock Screen?

chuco35

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
My issue is that the notifications on my lock screen are dead. The screen stays locked when I try to access the notification, and when I unlock the screen they disappear. They have no use for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Actually AT&T is trying to get an update from Samsung right now, for bug fixes, but they haven't said what version it will be.

For all the hype about Lollipoop to me Google fell flat on their face. There is nothing I like better about it, a lot of things I don't like as well as Kit Kat & several serious problems like losing fast charge in the car, worse battery life, speakerphone won't activate in call, lack of icons in the notification bar area of the lockscreen etc. Primarily I blame Google for designing the worst Android OS I've used going back to Froyo & Eclair. Next comes AT&T for forcing the update. Samsung really had no choice because everybody'd be whining if Lollipoop wasn't made available.

Like I said previously, I'd love to have Kit Kat back.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
For all the hype about Lollipoop to me Google fell flat on their face. There is nothing I like better about it, a lot of things I don't like as well as Kit Kat & several serious problems like losing fast charge in the car, worse battery life, speakerphone won't activate in call, lack of icons in the notification bar area of the lockscreen etc. Primarily I blame Google for designing the worst Android OS I've used going back to Froyo & Eclair. Next comes AT&T for forcing the update. Samsung really had no choice because everybody'd be whining if Lollipoop wasn't made available.

Like I said previously, I'd love to have Kit Kat back.

I stayed on KitKat a long time, and then when I went back to KitKat the other day when they switched out my phone, I realized I liked Lollipop better.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Not to derail but no fast charging in the car? I have an adaptive quick charger for my car and it works great.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Not to derail but no fast charging in the car? I have an adaptive quick charger for my car and it works great.

Since buying the Note, Note 2, Note 3 and Note 4, I never worried about charging in the car, much less, fast charging.

Not including my S5 time, I can literally count less than 10 times I have used the charger in the car on any of my Note phones. Once was after bad tornados here, tethering my laptop to my phone so we could watch the TV station on the computer. The power was out for several hours after and we watched a lot of TV on the phone. I had to recharge in the car.

I keep a charger in my car, but it is the same charger I had when I got my Note and I haven't used it even 10 times in all those years. If I leave with a full or basically a full charge, I'm good for the day.

I do keep an extra wall charger in my purse because sometimes I am out for several hours in bad signal or where I am sitting and waiting a lot and will have extra heavy use on my phone, but I rarely ever use that charger either.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Since buying the Note, Note 2, Note 3 and Note 4, I never worried about charging in the car, much less, fast charging.

Not including my S5 time, I can literally count less than 10 times I have used the charger in the car on any of my Note phones. Once was after bad tornados here, tethering my laptop to my phone so we could watch the TV station on the computer. The power was out for several hours after and we watched a lot of TV on the phone. I had to recharge in the car.

I keep a charger in my car, but it is the same charger I had when I got my Note and I haven't used it even 10 times in all those years. If I leave with a full or basically a full charge, I'm good for the day.

I do keep an extra wall charger in my purse because sometimes I am out for several hours in bad signal or where I am sitting and waiting a lot and will have extra heavy use on my phone, but I rarely ever use that charger either.

I use my car charger every time I'm in the car. I have a Craig's Docks car mount/dock that always charges the phone because the screen is always on. The Craig's Dock auto activates the N4's car mode which auto activates my Car Home Ultra app. Also, I use my phone primarily for business visiting clients on site & I may use the phone's various functions for several hours so I need to charge it when I get back in the car.

Different people have different uses. My point is I had fast charge in the car on Kit Kat but no more on Lollipoop.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I use my car charger every time I'm in the car. I have a Craig's Docks car mount/dock that always charges the phone because the screen is always on. The Craig's Dock auto activates the N4's car mode which auto activates my Car Home Ultra app. Also, I use my phone primarily for business visiting clients on site & I may use the phone's various functions for several hours so I need to charge it when I get back in the car.

Different people have different uses. My point is I had fast charge in the car on Kit Kat but no more on Lollipoop.

Well I use mine a lot with work. I get about 18 hours of battery and 6.5 hours screen time. I don't use Google Now or maps often, I use my car's GPS.

Last edited:

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Well I use mine a lot with work. I get about 18 hours of battery and 6.5 hours screen time. I don't use Google Now or maps often, I use my garden GPS.

Just for the reason my screen is always on in the Craig's Dock car mount/dock I need the phone to always be charging. I have navigation in the car so I don't use the phone's navigation but the OK Google app & Yelp app activate the GPS which is the way I want it. That way I can use the phone handsfree in the car through my Bluetooth earpiece. Because I also get noticeably less battery life w/ Lollipoop charging in the car is important.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Just for the reason my screen is always on in the Craig's Dock car mount/dock I need the phone to always be charging. I have navigation in the car so I don't use the phone's navigation but the OK Google app & Yelp app activate the GPS which is the way I want it. That way I can use the phone handsfree in the car through my Bluetooth earpiece. Because I also get noticeably less battery life w/ Lollipoop charging in the car is important.

Hahaha.. Just saw my post. I don't know what my keyboard meant by "garden GPS". That should have been car.

How do you get garden out of car??

My battery life increased with Lollipop and it super amazing now.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Inevitably I'm going to have to do a factory reset & maybe I'll make the time to do it today. I am thoroughly PO'ed at AT&T for forcing the Lollipoop update. My N4 worked fine on Kit Kat & given the choice I never would have updated to Lollipoop given all the problems posted on these forums. So now I'll have to spend about 2 hours minimum doing a factory reset not even knowing if that will resolve my problems. 2 hours I could have spent running my business. Further, off the top of my head two things I don't like about Lollipoop are the lack of lockscreen taskbar icon notifications & the size of the notifications when you pull down the task bar because it forces you to clear notifications to see them all instead of just a quick glance to see what's important. Lollipoop to me is much worse than Windows 8.1. 8.1 you can figure out & use, Lollipoop has design elements you can't get around that reduce/eliminate basic functionality. Lollipoop is a total failure on Google's part to me & the worst Android OS I've ever used going back to Froyo & Eclair.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There are some things I don't like about Lollipop, but I like it pretty well.

I hated Windows 8.1 when I got it, but I'm liking it much better. I don't use the apps and tiles though, I just use it like Windows has always been used.

Myself, I have always planned for and done, the reset and I only do the one from recovery mode, after each update.

I'm good with Lollipop, functionality wise. I have one issue popping up, but I think that is an AT&T issue and I opened a case on it. It doesn't interfere with anything, just a false error message.

I'm not crazy about the notifications. I also miss being able to put icons on my lockscreen, but they took that ability away a couple updates back.

With my new phone, I went back to KitKat for a few hours. I thought I would leave it at KitKat and root, but I really missed Lollipop and I was surprised I did.

Nick1234567

May 18, 2015
Visit site
What I'm having trouble understanding is how an organization as large and well funded as Google, could not have done an independent check to (meaningful test plans are checked against external feedback) see if they'd either missed something or misunderstood something. I could see if it was a small under-resourced startup...but Google? You had what I liked already, the small notifications that showed on the lock screen...I dunno', maybe it's me. [I try not to make connections, but google maps...loved the one they had, go spend resource on something else..nope, they retooled it and took away the ability to use what was there and a pile of us are disappointed. It's a strange world.]

Najie Fhang

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone have a temporary fix for the notification banners for Hangouts and Whatsapp for this until the update??

I could be in the middle of writing an email or surfing a browser and a huge banner with the entire message will pop down from the notification bar. There is no option in Hangouts or Whatsapp to turn it off other then to turn of the entire app notification, which in essence won't notify you AT ALL> This is a huge pain. I could be in the middle of using my GPS and the entire message will pop on screen as a banner and will not GO AWAY until i swipe up with my finger. And god forbid if you are showing someone something on your screen they will see the message, its contents and who its from, unless again you swipe it up. Who thought this was useful??:(

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have a temporary fix for the notification banners for Hangouts and Whatsapp for this until the update??

I could be in the middle of writing an email or surfing a browser and a huge banner with the entire message will pop down from the notification bar. There is no option in Hangouts or Whatsapp to turn it off other then to turn of the entire app notification, which in essence won't notify you AT ALL> This is a huge pain. I could be in the middle of using my GPS and the entire message will pop on screen as a banner and will not GO AWAY until i swipe up with my finger. And god forbid if you are showing someone something on your screen they will see the message, its contents and who its from, unless again you swipe it up. Who thought this was useful??:(

We were talking about that earlier tonight. I don't know of anything. The only ones that do it to me are Hangouts and Facebook, I don't use Whatsapp though. Seems like the only way to fix it without the update is root.

This is also the third party apps setting this. The one place that Google messed up, is they allow these apps to set their notifications as "high priority" which high priority notifications are the only ones that do that.

We should be able to set the priority of their notifications.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Similar problem here, only I am not on 5.0.1, just 5.0. Started this AM...nothing in the status bar, just the notification on my lock screen, along with other weird things. I'm on a Galaxy 5. I thought it was a GMail update that was doing it, but apparently not. And not a word about it anywhere. Found this thread by accident. I'm sure i'm not the only one wondering what's going on.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
They're the worst on the lockscreen. Try to click on it and it tells you to swipe to unlock. It's just all really confusing.

I need a tutorial on how to interact with my lockscreen notifications.