clean master?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I would skip using this software. I used it for about two weeks and noticed no difference in the performance if my phone/battery. I had no problems with my phone before trying this app but tried it because my boss at my job recommended it.

I feel it's only intention is to get you to upgrade the app to the paid version and also to get you to downlaod the developers other apps. It will ask you many times to try the other apps.

dbarnes2270

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Do NOT recommend. The app will delete apps that may cause "resource issues". Many of the apps that were removed involuntarily were those that I chose.

Posted via the Android Central App

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Avoid anything that claims to improve battery life by either removing or force-closing applications. Android has been perfectly capable of managing memory on its own since before the Froyo days, though Eclair did have some problems. But the days of needing external app management are years behind us now.

As to removing them, anything that the app can remove you can remove yourself, and anything the app can disable you can, too.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Do NOT recommend. The app will delete apps that may cause "resource issues". Many of the apps that were removed involuntarily were those that I chose.

Posted via the Android Central App

I forgot that this app does that. It actually removed an app that I use everyday and have never had any problems with. I think that was the last straw that made me delete the app.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
these battery apps hog more battery than they ever save,,,i would steer clear and be diligent about closing open applications with your left bottom soft key
Just a little nitpick...don't bother with the back key (bottom left) and closing apps. Android handles closing apps for you as necessary just fine.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
It started off as a junk file cleaner, and was really good, but has mutated into the monster bloat app it is today.
It's still a good basic junk file cleaner but the rest..... not so good. Too intrusive and the "battery saver" is nothing more than an old style task killer which doesn't always play nice with Android and can actually, as written above, do more harm than good.
You can save a ton of battery by using dark themes and wallpapers as well as setting background syncs as infrequent as needed and turning off radios that aren't being used.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I can't actually recommend this - or any junk cleaner - but I can say that SD Maid (bad name for a decent app) is at least not evil. If you feel like you really need to clean up the system this is the only cleaner app I know of I could trust. Seems to do a good job and do only what it's supposed to do. Be warned - it is a powerful tool. Use it very rarely, very carefully and at your own risk.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=eu.thedarken.sdm&token=F7xatR4j

Dark backgrounds only save some power if you have an AMOLED screen.

I leave all radios on except Bluetooth. I never use Bluetooth so might as well turn it off. But leaving the rest on has almost zero impact on power drain.

ehstaley

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I leave all radios on except Bluetooth. I never use Bluetooth so might as well turn it off. But leaving the rest on has almost zero impact on power drain.

For some reason on my phone, cutting off wifi when not at home (only place I use it) saves battery for me after Lollipop. Mine was constantly scanning for wifi networks in the background and draining the battery more than when on Kit Kat.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
For some reason on my phone, cutting off wifi when not at home (only place I use it) saves battery for me after Lollipop. Mine was constantly scanning for wifi networks in the background and draining the battery more than when on Kit Kat.

Have you gone to advance settings in WiFi and turned off the scanning?

ehstaley

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you gone to advance settings in WiFi and turned off the scanning?

Yep and it still drained. It stopped after turning wifi off, which is just as well at work because it's for business use only. i read a thread or article several weeks ago suggesting turning it off was the only way to stop the scanning even with it unchecked. Oh well.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Just a little nitpick...don't bother with the back key (bottom left) and closing apps. Android handles closing apps for you as necessary just fine.

Everyone says this, but it isn't true.

For example, if you use MyFitnessPal and you do not close the app, it will run in the background and murder your battery.

The only good use for Clean Master is it warns you when background apps are using a lot of the CPU. The problem is, you cannot really do anything about it because even when you close those apps, they open themselves up again. That is my biggest gripe about Android, you cannot choose what apps open at startup. Facebook is one of the worst offenders, even if you are not logged in, it runs in the background on start up and uses battery. Google Wallet is another.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't know about MyFitnessPal, but on our devices if you do nothing to close Facebook and just open another app, Facebook becomes a service-only process. That means it's not really doing anything, just listening for instructions. In this state it uses an insignificant amount of power and essentially no CPU cycles until something wakes it up.

Google Wallet becomes Inactive (cached). In this state it is just parked in memory, doing nothing, using no power and no CPU cycles.

This is absolutely proper behavior. Facebook and Wallet automatically minimize their impact on resources without manually closing them. In fact, they go to the exact same state if you do manually close them with the back key.

Last edited:

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Everyone says this, but it isn't true.

For example, if you use MyFitnessPal and you do not close the app, it will run in the background and murder your battery.

The only good use for Clean Master is it warns you when background apps are using a lot of the CPU. The problem is, you cannot really do anything about it because even when you close those apps, they open themselves up again. That is my biggest gripe about Android, you cannot choose what apps open at startup. Facebook is one of the worst offenders, even if you are not logged in, it runs in the background on start up and uses battery. Google Wallet is another.

That's interesting about MyFitnessPal. I use that app everyday. I don't close my apps very often during the day, if at all. It doesn't even appear on the list when I look to see what is using battery. If it's using anything it is less than 1% over the course of the last 10 hours. I don't doubt you, but I wonder why it uses so much in your case and not mine. I log 7 meals a day in it so I keep it open all day long.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I, too, strongly advise against installing apps like this. That being said, I do use 'CCleaner', but NOT to close apps. It has other features, like removing old APK files and empty folders, that I do like. It basically cleans off remnants of installs and things that take up storage space.

But, as many others have said, Android does an excellent job of managing its own memory to the point that an app closing app actually hurts its performance, not improves it.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
If you insist on using a cleaner, which should never be used except in rare, exceptional cases, there's a better option than CCleaner.

Now, I don't endorse any cleaner apps. I believe they should never be used by 99% of Android users. But I have found one that I can say at least it is not evil and could be useful in certain cases. If you have installed/uninstalled a lot of apps or have other reasons to believe the system could actually use cleanup you might consider this. SD Maid - a lousy name, but a decent cleaner app.

Unlike other so-called cleaners, SD Maid only does what it should do - clear out junk files, clean up databases, etc. It does not try to do things it shouldn't. There's no RAM cleaner/optimizer, no cache cleaner deleting useful cache files willy-nilly. Just a powerful set of useful tools for doing useful things.

But...like any cleaner, it is messin' with your files. It is a powerful set of tools. And again, use of tools like this are seldom, often never, actually needed. Use it very rarely, with extreme care and at your own risk!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=eu.thedarken.sdm&token=uZRq-taL

Android since v1.0. Linux user use ace 2001.