Use note4 as navigation in my car

Racinghart91

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
hi, i am getting a new car on friday.
my previous car had a build in sat nav, but i did not have the cash to add sat nav as an option for my new car (maybe i will get it in the future)

but is the note 4 good enough to use as navigation in my car in combination with google maps ?

the other day i tried if it worked and it worked suprisingly well, but that was just a litle drive.

does any of you use it for navigation ?
and do you use google maps or do you have another app ?

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Plan for a charging method. The navigation may eat more battery than what you were used to. For longer trips out of main areas, i have downloaded Here from Nokia. It does not require an Internet connection for navigation. Other than that it works fine.

Racinghart91

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Plan for a charging method. The navigation may eat more battery than what you were used to. For longer trips out of main areas, i have downloaded Here from Nokia. It does not require an Internet connection for navigation. Other than that it works fine.

thanks.
well battery life is no problem, at the end of the day i have 40 - 50% battery left.
and if its draining i can load it in my car.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
The Note, and most smart phones, are great for navigating in place of a built in system. Just used mine to get me to a surprise party 2 hours away on Saturday with no issue!

Laurie Richards

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Yes I use it, but it's best to use a stand alone app.

The last time I checked TomTom is not compatible (resolution problem) but there are several others.

I use Sygic , which uses TomTom maps anyway, but the is also Navigon, Route 66 or Co-Pilot to name just a few.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I've been using my phone for navigation for years, which is why I never get navigation when I turnover cars. I use to use Google Maps, but I find myself using Waze most of the time now. It 'usually' gets me where I'm going and helps with traffic as well. None of them are perfect, but for the savings they are well worth it.

Also I use a windshield mount, so it's always in front of me and I don't have to take my eyes off of the road. And as suggested, for out of town trips I use a car charger to ensure I still have battery life when u get there. Good luck.

Sent from my Note 3 Using Tapatalk

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I use Waze in cities and congested traffic areas and HERE for everything else. I have also had great success with the free iBolt navi system. All of these are as good or better than the Garmin navi system I have installed in my vehicle.

JaceKG

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have been using tomtom navigation on my phones for the last few years. Tomtom recently redesigned it's app calling it tomtom go mobile. I use it everyday and have travelled all around the UK & europe in a motorhome and found it to be excellent on my Note 4

Posted from my rooted Note 4 and loving it

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have always opted out of adding a $1800-2,000 Nav system package AND ($350-450 to update maps in a year or two) to my car, as my phone and Google maps works great and for a lot less money and you can take it from car to car! My husband and I are Realtors and we use it all the time for navigating to properties to show or list. We also use it to travel by car to out of state places and it works perfectly.

I did however have a problem with a recent Google Maps update, and uninstalled the update going back to previous version and works great. I know there are a bunch of other GPS apps as well.

millerwa76

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I prefer just using a stand alone GPS. Bought a Garmin Nuvi at least 5 years ago (meanwhile I'm on my 3rd phone since then), cost me $100 and it came with lifetime map updates. It stays in my car, stuck to my windshield. Don't have to worry about mounting/unmounting my phone every time I get in or out of my vehicle. If I get rid of the car, I keep the GPS. Simple.

jwt873

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
When it comes to navigation find the Note 4 screen a little small for my liking :) I use a Galaxy 10.1 tablet propped up on my console running the Sygic navigation app. I have the app installed on my tablet and on my Note 4 so I can use the phone as a backup if the tablet should ever fail.

Racinghart91

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
i used to have a build in nav from garmin in my previous car.
il just try and use my phone as a navigator !

i can pick up my car this friday and the same day we go on vacation so i can test it :)

if it fails, i let my husky's tell me the directions :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii