Samsung A12 as Sat Nav?

Ikas

Dec 8, 2023
Visit site
I am hoping to use my Samsung A12 smartphone as a sat nav in my car. I have a PAYG Sim so keep data switched off. Will I have to switch data on to use it as a sat nav or will it work with downloaded maps. The car system is set up to use Google maps with Android Auto.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you download map data to your phone, it should work without mobile data. A few caveats, however.
1) You're in Android Auto. Unless you are parked, keyboard input is not allowed, so you'd have to also have offline voice recognition downloaded if you want to input an address while on the move.
2) You will not get traffic data, so routes will be 'generic' and may not be the best one depending on time/traffic conditions.
3) You would have to download all areas of your planned trip or you will lose directions as soon as you enter an area that's not in your phone.
4) Depending on where you live, some routes can be adjusted due to weather conditions. This is not available in 'offline' mode.

Ikas

Dec 8, 2023
Visit site
Many thanks for your reply SpookDroid. I am getting conflicting advice from my friends so glad to hear you agree with videos I have watched on YouTube and my own thoughts. However I cannot get it to work. I have downloaded maps for my local area. When I set off from home all is well and I get to my destination as expected. I noted though when I arrived that my phone was displaying "No Connection" despite giving me a final correct RH turn just moments before parking up. When I set off to return home I get a "No Connection. Offline" message and it does not give any directions. The annoying thing is it shows my progress on the map and when I get back home it shows "Final destination Home reached". I have tried both Google Maps and Waze with the same result and three different local destinations. Just cannot work it out. Any ideas on what to try next to resolve the problem?

Ikas

Dec 8, 2023
Visit site
Okay. I have been trying a few options to try to fix this. Using the phone alone - no AndroidAuto - it displayed the correct route to my destination from my home. There were no voice directions but I am guessing that is because AndroidAuto was not connected. However return trip did not work as before. Message "No Connection to Google. Offline". As before it did display my progress to home correctly on the phone. I tried my wife's A14 phone with same result. I then tried phone connected by cable to car system but with my router in my house switched off. AndroidAuto appeared to be working but could not find a route and message came up "No Connection to Google. Offline". I switched router in house back on and the journey from home worked correctly. Puzzled to understand what is happening. Any ideas, SpookDroid?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Stumped on this one... it works fine on my phone if I put it on Airplane mode and try to navigate as long as the map is downloaded. Android Auto aside, though... this is just on my phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried clearing data and/or uninstalling/re-installing the app? And making sure the map area IS showing in the offline maps section? Also, when you've tried it, have you tried just with the router off/disconnected? Did you try on Airplane mode? (I wonder if still having WiFi on causes it to think it HAS to be online)

Reactions: J Dubbs

Ikas

Dec 8, 2023
Visit site
Success! I deleted the map and downloaded it again and everything is working as expected now. The original download must have been corrupted and the phone was using my internet connection in my house to download the map. After reaching my destination it could not make the return journey as there was no wi-fi. It would have been helpfull if it had told me the downloaded map could not be used. Thanks again for your help. I have asked Santa for a car phone holder instead of the Tom Tom.;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174