My first 24 hours with the things I was looking for in the Note 4.

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I just came from a 2 year old S4 to this phablet. First phablet for me. Like most everyone else, it only took a few hours for me to fall in love with this phone. I've not even touched on all of it's lil goodies to play around with, but I really do love how it is quick and hardly any, if ever, lag. I'm still learning the S-pen gig. I'm just going to share a few key points that I looked at in making this decision and how those key points panned out for me, so far.
Size: I'm 6'4" and it's perfect for my big hand and my big head. I had worried it would be too big. I really enjoy the bigger real estate screen. At 53, my eyes (and contacts) make good use of the bigger screen.
Battery: Really good. I did spent a LOT of time playing with it yesterday, moving in so to speak. So I did use a lot of battery. No location on, no auto sync. After 12 hours, I was down to 20 percent. So I explored this 'Ultra power saving mode.' Unexpected awesome. It shuts down everything, grays the screen and leaves you with just a basic communication device with only text and phone abilities. With the 20 % left, in Ultra power saving mode, I have 4 days left. lol. And then with just a swipe, you go back into regular mode. To be honest, I sort of liked that ability to just keep ALL things off unless I need them. It turns the phone from a smartphone to a dumbphone for awhile. And that's ok.
It's kind of like shutting the TV off if you know you need to study. You know you CAN turn the phone on, but it'll keep you from constantly feeling that weird need to check whats going on with your phone. Later, take it off that mode and catch up and enjoy the amazing device. But really, for most of us,text and phone is all we basically 'need' most of the time.
Display is BRIGHT like a lighthouse. I actually keep this boy turned down to about 25 percent and that's plenty. lol. If I'm going to do intense stuff I'll turn it up to 50 or 75%. But it's 100% is really, really bright.
Fingerprint scanner: Works for me. You can register up to 3 fingerprints. And each one gives you 20 swipes. I did my swipes like I would normally hold the phone, one handed and it took those. So, after re-registering my thumb (kind of sideways like you hold it), works for me fine; at least for right now. I like that easy security without a code or swipe pattern to put in.
Talk sounds fine.
Camera is great.
Touchwiz is Touchwiz.
Speaker is LOUD, much louder than my S4. I had to turn it down in the work bathroom. lol.
There are reviews everywhere about it being so good. But I wanted to share my first 24 hours with the things that I was looking for IN ADDITION to the already outstanding S4. (except battery life).
I had wondered if I should wait on the Note 5. But seeing as Samsung made the S6 with a metal case and enclosed back, neither of which matter to me, I decided to go on and get the Note 4.
Plus, it's been out nearly a year and hopefully most of the kinks have been worked out with the phone AND the apps. Getting a new version, first, always brings some struggles with it as the apps aren't ready.
I'm very pleased.

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Glad that you enjoying it!

One quick tip on the battery : Try to charge it before it goes below 40%, due to being a lithium battery.. If you let it go full empty or around 15% and 20%, it makes the battery last less.

Besides that, I usually leave home at 8 am and get back from work around 20:00 with 42/43% battery.. I'm also pairing my Zenwatch for 8 hours via Bluetooth.

Don't forget to clean cache partition from time to time (like once a month) and clean the apps cache!

Any questions feel free to shout! Also wanna share with us your home screen? :)

Here's mine! (Apex + Tapet random material background + material icon pack)

Screenshot_2015-06-04-11-44-37.jpg

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the Note 4! Glad you are enjoying it. It will take a long time to learn everything. This is my third note and I still find things that I didn't realize could be useful to me. Enjoy!

Sent from my Note 4

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm still enjoying it a lot. I tell you though, the battery life is NOT what I was expecting. While much better, waaayy better, than my S4, if I don't keep it in Ultra Power savings mode, it'd be dead by 10 or 12 hours. The Ultra power mode can keep me afloat until bedtime and that's ok.
But my coworker, same phone, what seems like same apps and she's twice the battery life of mine. I keep the screen down very low (again, thing has a lighthouse beacon on it when full lit), no GPS, no sync.
She has all that on and gets amazing battery, with a phone 7 or 8 months old just like mine. Only difference is her microSD card was new and formatted wtih the phone on purchase. Mine is older and half the capacity, but scans error free.
That's my only grumble. It's better and it's survivable in Ultra mode, but something doesn't seem right.
And another buddy has an iphone 6+ and he gets two days out doing mostly the same things I do.
Weird how they can differ.
It's an awesome phone.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm still enjoying it a lot. I tell you though, the battery life is NOT what I was expecting. While much better, waaayy better, than my S4, if I don't keep it in Ultra Power savings mode, it'd be dead by 10 or 12 hours. The Ultra power mode can keep me afloat until bedtime and that's ok.
But my coworker, same phone, what seems like same apps and she's twice the battery life of mine. I keep the screen down very low (again, thing has a lighthouse beacon on it when full lit), no GPS, no sync.
She has all that on and gets amazing battery, with a phone 7 or 8 months old just like mine. Only difference is her microSD card was new and formatted wtih the phone on purchase. Mine is older and half the capacity, but scans error free.
That's my only grumble. It's better and it's survivable in Ultra mode, but something doesn't seem right.
And another buddy has an iphone 6+ and he gets two days out doing mostly the same things I do.
Weird how they can differ.
It's an awesome phone.

You just need to let your battery settle in and then see if you have apps that are using too much. Location can eat up battery, I have deleted my location history and that helps a lot. I can get 6.5-7 hours screen time and charge only right before I go to bed most days.