If my phone is turned off can I still be tracked on GPS?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Cool. I am in a crummy mood today and want to go to a movie and eat without being on the grid. I am going to turn off my phone and unplug for a few hours. I want to be invisible for a bit.

MalinoisK9

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
If you're that concerned I would pull the battery since that is really the only way to totally do it. Not to get all conspiracy here but there a plenty of articles out that document the ability to still track and listen when the phone is off.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
all you need to do is turn off "locations" that way your phone won't be tracking any GPS signal. Your plan sounds like a good one, I might leave work early and go see Jurassic World again :D

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
If the phone is off it can't be tracked, not even by 3-letter government agencies, much less by your friends or enemies. Law enforcement sure wishes they could track a turned-off phone.

Oh, OK, it's *possible* but the phone must be modified for it to work. Read the link. Be sure to read the last 2-3 paragraphs.

http://www.darkreading.com/risk-man...y-track-turned-off-cellphones/d/d-id/1110897?

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
all you need to do is turn off "locations" that way your phone won't be tracking any GPS signal. Your plan sounds like a good one, I might leave work early and go see Jurassic World again :D

Lol ...

Like Ogmed Kunundar says in the movie Hanging Up, " You know, sometimes it is necessary to disconnect."