Traded in my Note 4 for the 5 today, my initial impressions...

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
64GB Sapphire black on AT&T. Traded in my white Note 4 32gb with 32gb sd card on Next program I got at launch last Oct. First impression is wow this thing is slim and lighter. Almost fragile but built solid at the same time. Fingerprint magnet, you'' be wiping it down a lot. Screen seems a little brighter and now text seems smaller actually using the 2560 x 1440p resolution this time around. Battery life seems on par with the Note 4. Don't really miss my sd card as it seemed to slow down my Note 4 in the end. Very snappy especially the camera. More refined in a lot of ways, but the same in others as the Note 4. More narrow than the 4. Screen seems smaller but isn't the bezel is nearly gone on the edges. Loving the note taking while the screen is off. Sound is ok about the same as the 4. Also when you register your phone with Samsung you'll get a 30% any accessory direct from them for anything $59 and lower. Used it to get a clear view case that comes in 3 colors. Only black sapphire and white are here in the US sadly, I was liking the silver titanium version in reviews. It looks black until you put it around reflective lights then it looks navy blue. So far I like it. Wanted to get this short in hand review out to those on the fence about upgrading to one. I'm sure some will like it some won't. If you have a S6 or S6 edge its a lot like using one of those just bigger with a S pen as far as design goes. Same CPU too. Having the 4gb of ram seems noticeable as well. Hope this helps, pics follow...

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
64GB Sapphire black on AT&T. Traded in my white Note 4 32gb with 32gb sd card on Next program I got at launch last Oct. First impression is wow this thing is slim and lighter. Almost fragile but built solid at the same time. Fingerprint magnet, you'' be wiping it down a lot. Screen seems a little brighter and now text seems smaller actually using the 2560 x 1440p resolution this time around. Battery life seems on par with the Note 4. Don't really miss my sd card as it seemed to slow down my Note 4 in the end. Very snappy especially the camera. More refined in a lot of ways, but the same in others as the Note 4. More narrow than the 4. Screen seems smaller but isn't the bezel is nearly gone on the edges. Loving the note taking while the screen is off. Sound is ok about the same as the 4. Also when you register your phone with Samsung you'll get a 30% any accessory direct from them for anything $59 and lower. Used it to get a clear view case that comes in 3 colors. Only black sapphire and white are here in the US sadly, I was liking the silver titanium version in reviews. It looks black until you put it around reflective lights then it looks navy blue. So far I like it. Wanted to get this short in hand review out to those on the fence about upgrading to one. I'm sure some will like it some won't. If you have a S6 or S6 edge its a lot like using one of those just bigger with a S pen as far as design goes. Same CPU too. Having the 4gb of ram seems noticeable as well. Hope this helps, pics follow...

[url]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC01930_zpsbbfdrglw.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC01928_zpseh2ghrsm.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC01924_zpsyudugi4b.jpg[/URL]

I LOVE that you can write a note on the lockscreen.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Nice! Enjoy your new phone!

Quick question, I noticed that the Note 5 has two microphones instead of three mics like the Note 4. If you have had a chance to record a video yet, have you noticed any difference in the audio quality between the videos recorded on the Note 4 and 5?

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Did ATT include headphones in the N5? I remember they jacked em from the N4 box then sold em to you.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, does the note 5 have the problem with the screen not being flat like the note 4? I just ask, because it's such a pain to find Tempered Glass screen protectors on the note 4 because of the tapered down edges. I know there are some, but not that many that are good because of the shape of the Note 4. One thing I wish they would change is the button on the S Pen. I wish they would move it back more. I'm always hitting it when I write, setting off the air command.

I still think the Note 5 looks nice, but definitely not worth the upgrade to me, especially the price they're asking now. AT&T rapes you. Still not able to root the darnn Note 4 with them yet either. Only one too. I actually don't see why they can't add the new S Pen features to the Note 4, but it's greed I know. Doesn't mean I have to like it. Really the first time I'm actually looking at what else is out there, because Samsung starting to really bother me. My phone should last me at least another year or so more, so in no hurry. Good luck with yours. New tech always appeals to me and I'm sure you'll enjoy the new features, but sounds like a barely upgraded Note 4 to me. Good luck with it and glad you like it.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

[url]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC01930_zpsbbfdrglw.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC01928_zpseh2ghrsm.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC01924_zpsyudugi4b.jpg[/URL]

Thank you very much... headed to my VZW Store shortly! :)

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
My note 4 from att came with earphones. They really did jack you.

I bought from Sprint so I had em, but I remember talk about that from the forums last year. Not everyone had them. I was asking about that because we're planning on switching to ATT.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much... headed to my VZW Store shortly! :)

Crap... I HATE WAITING! I checked online with VZW and my wife's phone is eligible for upgrade on 9/4 (My Upgrade isn't until Oct of 2016!) but it showed an "Early Upgrade Special" for the Note 5 today. I drove to the store and tried to use hers to update mine but the "Early Upgrade Special" is only if I want to pay the $29.00 a month and buy her a data plan (she's still on a Flip-Phone) - now I have to wait until September 4th to use her's to upgrade mine... I am an impatient person. Grrrr... did I mention that I'm an impatient person?

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Nice! Enjoy your new phone!

Quick question, I noticed that the Note 5 has two microphones instead of three mics like the Note 4. If you have had a chance to record a video yet, have you noticed any difference in the audio quality between the videos recorded on the Note 4 and 5?

Well, Phone Arena just published a comparison between the Note 4 and Note 5. They covered this particular question I had with the audio and the missing third mic on the Note 5.

"Auto-focusing speed is a domain that is undoubtedly ruled by the Note5, which adjusts its focus with ludicrous speeds, while the Note 4 needs some extra moments. Additionally, we liked the microphone performance of the Note 4 more, as voices recorded with the Note5 sound ever so slightly distorted, processed, and not as natural as we'd like them to be"

Read more at Samsung Galaxy Note5 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Camera and Multimedia

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Congrats and enjoy it! :)

Its not for me, I have over 80GB Storage in my Note 4, and the Note 5 can't have more than 64GB, plus its mostly the same as the 4, so I'll wait for the 6. :)

Sent from my Note 4 +64GB MicroSDXC via Tapatalk

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm tracking things that are gone or changed on the Note 5 as I may want to buy one for my sister. Besides the non-replaceable battery and missing SD card and IR Blaster, can you verify the following?

1) On the Note 4, it gives you the "just once/always" option, and will continue to give you this option until you select always? There is no "just once" on the Note 5... you are given one choice to choose the default app. You can clear the choice on both Notes
2) On the Note 4, you can disable fast charging, can it be disabled on the Note 5? (Never mind, I read where you can't disable on the Note 5)
3) Samsung did away with the "Side key" panel on the Note 5. This alone, (well, not just this!!!), would make me never upgrade to the Note 5. I use this ALL THE TIME!
4) "My Interests" wallpapers on the lockscreen is no longer a choice on the Note 5
5) According to some threads I've read, the speaker on the Note 5 is softer than the Note 4
6) I believe Smart Dock capability is also not present with a Note 5
7) "Smart detect", where the phone can detect text from a photo and convert it to text is no longer present on the Note 5
8) Note 5's don't light up with notifications
9) "Multiscreen" won't launch with long press of back button if you're in an app? Moved to left soft key on Note 5, instead of back key.
10) Samsung's HDMI MHL adapter doesn't fit on a Note 5 (verified)
11) Full screen album covers (music player) on the lockscreen are not available on a Note 5? LP 5.1.1 removed this feature. Not a Note 5 problem.
12) You can't adjust the delay, or turn off the "touch key" lights on the Note 5
13) Can no longer capture frame by frame stills from video

There are also reports of screen problems in bright sunlight. Supposedly due to the thinness on the Note 5, and all S6's.

There are reports of over-agressive mulittasking ram management where open apps have to reload. This means a reload from the recent apps. Samsung is fooling people with the capabilities of their smaller battery... rather, they're stopping apps to save power. However, it was discovered quite quickly! Bad Sammy, bad!

As a former Note 4 owner, do you know of any other feature(s) that have changed on your Note 5?

Information was gathered on AC, XDA, and around the web.

Blue text are Additions

Thanks!

Last edited:

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
#9: It was just moved to the "All Programs" long press. Left side soft key.