Best THOROUGH wipe method after unusual malware scare?

ConcreteRage

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
My Note 4 may nave been infected with malware but my antivirus at the time, Lookout Security, apparently killed... something, giving me the message that "malware no longer exists on your phone" in a notification bubble on the bottom of the screen when I clicked on the notification that Lookout finished a weekly scan.

I have no idea what it was or if it was a false positive or a bug, given that this Android installation is new, stock, unrooted, and that I've only downloaded two dozen apps, all from the official app store.

Nevertheless, I'd like to wipe the phone and start over, if only for peace of mind.

What is the most appropriate level of wipe for this scenario?

Is there a way to wipe the phone that satisfies ALL THREE conditions below:
1. Is more thorough than factory reset option in the settings menu, and
2. DOES NOT void the factory warranty, and
3. Allows me to reinstall the stock, factory, ROM (complete with Samsung apps and carrier-branded software).

Thanks in advance!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
#1 and #3 are simple - see [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN. Actually not "simple" - simply boring. It takes about 15 minutes of watching paint dry, so do it during prime time, or when you have something else to do.

#2? If you do it right, the phone looks (software-wise) like it just came out of the box, so even though you actually voided the warranty (flashing any ROM does that with a Samsung - and most other phones), they can't tell, because it looks stock.

And, as I said, it's simple. Read the guide. You click a button and die of boredom.

ConcreteRage

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the informative and timely reply. Two questions:

1) You seem to be quite sure that Samsung won't check if the ROM has been reflashed, even though it's trivial to check. I don't mean to doubt you, but I'd like to know if you know something I don't. I never had to send my phone in for repairs before.

2) Could I do basically the same thing as contained in that guide, except do it via Samsung Kies? Using Kies seems like much less of a hassle. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

kraynyan

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Like he said, TECHNICALLY, it voids your warranty, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no way they will know the flash through ODIN was done. There is a flash counter in the bootloader which is meant to keep track of warranty information, but I have done this multiple times and it has not tripped once. It is still in "factory condition".

I've never used Kies, unfortunately. Someone else will have to speak for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87