Is this normal battery usage?

rtwright68

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Ok, new Note4, running MM with latest update through AT&T. 50% screen brightness. Many apps disabled (using recommended lists from various sites), including Facebook (using Swipe). When I installed MM after receiving the phone and getting a SIM, I did a factory reset. Am using Nova Launcher

Started out at 6:00AM with 100% charge
Now at noon with 52% charge.
1 Hour and 20 minutes of SOT.
Using AirWatch through work (including their Inbox app email through Office365) and my other personal email account (also on Office365, different domain)

Just trying to gauge if this is normal and expected, or could there be something with MM that is causing this? I didn't run long at all with 5.1.1 so I have nothing to compare it with.

catberryday

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Well I can compare it to 5.1.1 and it is terrible. Currently I lose 10% an hour. Screen off. It almost doubles with screen on.

None of my apps are above 2% according to Gsam but Google play services is the highest usage app I have. Screen and media use the most. I don't know what to do about play services.

Last night with a fresh battery I got four hours out of the battery with 2 hours screen time.

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Could be a number of things but definitely not normal battery usage (compared to what I'm getting). Might be some background syncing of your emails or related. Down to 50% with only a little of an hour of screen time, seems like there's much more going on.

rtwright68

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Could be a number of things but definitely not normal battery usage (compared to what I'm getting). Might be some background syncing of your emails or related. Down to 50% with only a little of an hour of screen time, seems like there's much more going on.

Are you running MM or LL? Honestly, I have had Android devices before and this is the worst battery life I've experienced. I don't recall my Note3 have this crappy battery life.

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Keywords.

New and latest.

You have a brand new Note 4 upgraded to a freshly installed OS.

It takes a few days for the battery, and a freshly flashed OS to "kick in."

When I got my new battery it took about 4 days for it to improve.

For the OS, there's a lot of background indexing going in, which also takes a few days to settle down.

Just use it normally over the weekend and report back in a few days.

kroalnumber2

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Coming from an s6 edge, I get about 3-6 hours SOT and about a charge a day

I turn off location (unless I need it), fingerprint, Google apps (except maps), s-health and all that pointless stuff

I keep power saving on with about 40% screen brightness

Moderate to heavy usage

Apps I use a lot are spotify, snapchat, twitter and Doodle jump (throwback)

I'll watch a couple YouTube vids here and there about 30 minutes in total

MY old note 4 was sent back to Amazon because the battery was just going even though I tried a new battery, getting about an hour SOT a charge with the same settings as my S6!!! I assumed it was faulty handset

I'm almost certain btw that the note 4 and s6 edge have similar battery life/usage so I hope I helped !!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
seems like there's much more going on.
I agree with AXEL314.

Regardless of what battery apps say, there are many apps that eat battery while only showing low activity (like 2%) in usage stats. Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Whatsapp, for instance. These apps seem to work through the system and make the system itself show high usage. Normally, Android System or Android OS pegs high usage with the aforementioned apps.

For the OP, it's possible its a sync problem with your email or Office work program. Just guessing here but there are many battery threads where MS apps or Exchange is involved. Don't know what you're using, hence just a guess.

Have you tried starting the phone in Safe Mode yet? Do that and leave it running for a few hours, without using your apps, to see if you still see high battery drain.

It's easy to start the Note 4 in safe mode. Simply long press the power button until the shutdown menu shows up. Long press on Power off and another menu will show up where you can select turn on safe mode. The phone will restart into safe mode. To get out of safe mode, simply restart the phone.

Battery drain for no apparent reason has to be one of the most problematic issues to troubleshoot because so many users run all kinds of different apps.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I just got a "new" ie Samsung refurbished Note 4, and the battery use is kinda nuts, but as I started it last night, you think it'll improve in a few days?

rtwright68

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
As a follow-up, a couple things happened as I have been traveling over the last week.

1) The time frame from being a new phone to still seeing the issues was about a week.
2) I modified the Location settings to Power Saving in Mode
3) The September update (AT&T) came out for the Note4

Honestly, I am thinking the Location setting made the highest impact because battery consumption was reduced almost immediately.

I will be keeping an eye on things to see if one or all three things above have made an impact. Battery life has been great so far (not reducing as quickly while not in use and while in use).

Took the phone off the charger at 6:00AM this morning, and battery is at 85% (2:41PM) with 27:57 SOT (been too busy today to have a lot of screen time). I am running the TouchWiz launcher and full version of Facebook.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Location (having the GPS receiver running) uses almost no battery - but services calling on the GPS receiver for location data can use a lot. (If the receiver is off, those apps won't ask for location data, so it appears to save battery - at the expense of location information.)