I have a Galaxy Note 5 — ask me about it!

siobhan04

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I have had my Note 5 for 3 days now and find that I cannot select the options bar in the text messages at the top with my finger when not in landscape mode. The option for Photos & Videos, eGift, Contacts, etc. I'm finding the same issue in Facebook for Posts, Friend Requests, Messages, etc. If I rotate to landscape they work just fine or if I use the S Pen it works in both standard and landscape mode. Any thoughts on what is causing this?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Andrew, could you please advise me if there is a way to do HDMI output on this device. I've owned the last 3 Note versions and have always been able to use an MHL to HDMI adapter to send video out but I'm understanding that the Note 5 doesn't support it. Is there another option or am I stuck with only wireless options. We tend to stream movies while camping to a projector and so wifi dependent setups are not usable.

I'd also like to know if the Note 5 has an HDMI out. Not a deal-breaker for me, but definitely a let-down for someone who travels quite a bit.

Tested both MHL and Slimport, neither worked with my note 5.

Yup, I saw that but I would still like to change the long press on the home button. Have you spotted where the setting is for that?

Note 5 User

Nope, can't configure that. You can only turn on/off the double press for camera and triple press for one-handed mode.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone with the Verizon version... what size sim is in this phone?

Nano

One more camera question... Does the Pro Mode have manual focus control? (Sorry for mixing up the terms before hehe) Like, true manual focus (a slider from Macro to Infinity).

Yup, you get precisely that slider in the Pro mode.

Better than low light/ night shots on the LG G4? Heard they arent as good on the N5. Can you tweak the manual camera settings to make these shots come out a lot better like the G4?

Seems to be a crapshoot which one is better in low light. people say the G4 is better, but I've taken great shots with the GS6 and Note 5 in low light. The Pro mode can absolutely help with this since you have the option to set things how you like them, but of course this is going to take some knowledge of how to manipulate camera settings for better low light performance.

Just to get it right: the only way to shrink the window screen size for one hand operation on the note 5 is to tap the home button three times, right? The slide in out gesture doesn't work anymore and there's no side panel in order to activate the shrinked screen format? If so, that's another deal breaker for me (besides the obvious: no removable battery, no micro SD, no IR, no radio). I don't want to tap this damn home button a thousand times a day in order to switch between screen sizes!

Yeah, no more swipe in/out quickly for reduce size. Just three presses (not taps) of the home button. I don't really see how three presses is any easier/harder than the swipe in/out — just different.

Mine just arrived and PLEASE GOD help me turn off the touch key light!!!! I can't find the setting anywhere! :)

No settings for this. Only way I see that the touch key lights turn off is in Power Saving Mode.

is there a piece of plastic covering the lens like on the older note phones

Seen some with a little bit that covers around the lens area, but nothing over the lens itself.

Fast wireless charging how's that?

Don't know, don't have a Samsung Fast Wireless Charger yet.

Why would they get rid of the menu button?
Supposedly you can long press the back key to get the menu button for older apps but it doesn't work.
And the took our all the ways to customize TouchWiz. You can no longer turn off multi window

They got rid of the Menu button multiple generations of phones ago. Android has moved on from that.

And why would you want to turn off multi window? if you don't use it, it's not in your way...

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi Andrew:
You said you already hooked up to a quick charge wall plug — will see how that goes. I want to know if the third party quick charge 2.0 charger can charge the note 5 with fast speed? or we just can use the original samsung charger.

thanks for your reply.

Any charger that supports Quick Charge 1.0/2.0 will charge the Note 5 faster. Samsung isn't doing anything fancy, they're just following that spec. The charger in the box supports it, but you can use anything else.

Does your Galaxy Note 5 hangs or crash when pressing the home button after long periods of inactivity?

Mine doesn't work properly at times.

Nope.

Is it worth the $1,099 samsung want in Australia for a 32Gb??

That's up to you to decide. Your money!

S- Note... I like it, but it could be better. Is it the same version that is on the Note 4? (4.1)

The current way it integrates the quick notes and the regular full s notes is kinda clunky.

Seems roughly the same here, save for a few design changes.

SHUTTER!
Can you silent the camera shutter?

I currently have a lg g2 and gives option to turn off camera shutter completely. I upgraded to lg g4 and the phone had to be on silent otherwise you will here the click (kinda annoying if you wanted to take a selfie without notice lol) l. returned my g4 to wait for note 5!! (woot woot)

Posted via the Android Central App

Depends on the phone model. Most international models don't let you do it (laws in various countries/regions prevent it), but usually U.S. models will let you turn it off. Really just depends on which one you get and how they've decided to handle that.

Diraan

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Tested both MHL and Slimport, neither worked with my note 5.

This is strange. I found this article on the Samsung Website regarding HDMI out on the Note 5:

How do I connect my Samsung Galaxy Note5 to my TV using an HDMI ® cable?

According to this, it should work with their smart adapter, which is an MHL-type connection.

Is this an oversight on their Support Team assuming that the phone had the capability, or a bug in the current OS release? Maybe Samsung is taking some pointers from Apple and locking down the accessories for this phone.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
For those familiar with the note family is there a way to make the the floating apps opaque... for example the Lg G series phones. This is on my lg g2
a98494efb14fb77f5fc7234c8eddb8f5.jpg

On the note 5
db058e285b503bd71c9f257286e2b1fd.jpg

Sent using my gorgeous Korean Phone and its clicky stick...

lsullivan68

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Andrew-
I just got my note5 Sunday evening and I'm having the darndest time trying to figure out how to move my apps around in a way that satisfies how I work. When I click edit I can only delete or add apps, not move them around. What's the trick to doing so? On my previous Samsung Galaxy phone I simply had to press, hold and move it to wherever I wanted them to be. Not so with the note5.
TIA

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Andrew-
I just got my note5 Sunday evening and I'm having the darndest time trying to figure out how to move my apps around in a way that satisfies how I work. When I click edit I can only delete or add apps, not move them around. What's the trick to doing so? On my previous Samsung Galaxy phone I simply had to press, hold and move it to wherever I wanted them to be. Not so with the note5.
TIA

In your app drawer or the home screen?

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
How do i open clip tray. I accidently got it once but now i cant seem to get it or does it not open everywhere like the LG G series

Sent using my gorgeous Korean Phone and its clicky stick...

Paradroid01

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, no more swipe in/out quickly for reduce size. Just three presses (not taps) of the home button. I don't really see how three presses is any easier/harder than the swipe in/out — just different.

Thank you a lot once again. To quote myself from another thread: It all depends how often you use this feature. On the note 4 I switched back and forth between these modes all the time. Sometimes left, sometimes right. With a triple press on the home button the Note 5 doesn't even know which side you prefer. So you have to tap on the screen once again in order to change sides. Apart from that there are no on screen navigation keys available anymore when using the shrinked window screen mode on the Note 5. Not that comfortable.

No settings for this. Only way I see that the touch key lights turn off is in Power Saving Mode.

Less useful customization is always a bad thing. Not Good!

They got rid of the Menu button multiple generations of phones ago. Android has moved on from that.

Right, but the menus are still there. So it's definitely a very useful feature especially if you have to deal with a device that big. Do you reach the menu button (three points) on the top of your device with your thumb comfortably?

And why would you want to turn off multi window? if you don't use it, it's not in your way...

I don't turn it off myself, but isn't battery consumption theoretically spoken a little bit higher if checking for input all the time?

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Is there an easy way to set the device to when on vibrate, it vibrates for all notifications, and when on sound, it makes only sounds for all notifications, and not vibrate?

Currently, it seems one has to turn on vibrate within each app. Doing so, when the device is on sound, it would vibrate, too. I don't want that. Thanks

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
There's an app called ,"Peel Smart Remote". It might had come pre-installed on the phone. Anywho, it works with your Android TV or other connections.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
How do you clear credentials?

Posted via the Android Central App

Go to lock screen and security, then "other security settings" at the bottom, then middle way down "Clear Credentials" should not be grayed out. When you clear that, you can change the lock screen to swipe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty