Verizon Wireless won’t be a part of Samsung Pay

jlilnc14

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It appears that Verizon has leaked that Android Pay goes live September 16. But nothing about Samsung Pay. Rumors have said that Verizon would not support Samsung Pay in favor of Android Pay. It appears to b we true.

Posted using my Verizon crippled Note 5.

Booo! If that's the case I'm selling my new note 5 and switching over to AT&T

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
If magnetic secure transmission (MST) is a hardware feature of the Note5 and S6E+, and Android OS is open source, can't the benefits of LoopPay or MST be incorporated in to Android Pay?

I've been pondering if I'm really upset about Samsung Pay, and whether I really care if VZ is going to support it upon launch. I've used Google Wallet for NFC payments a few times, and just not sure if I care about Samsung Pay as much as the rest of you. I think it's a great technology (MST), but feel it may be outdated soon enough with the switch to EMV. Certainly their are benefits to Samsung Pay with MST technology, but its only available on a few devices. Moreover, Samsung only has 24% of worldwide market share, even less of a percentage that actually support MST.

Keep in mind, I'm not advocating VZ's decision, I just wonder if Android Pay will eventually support MST, and lead to a broader consumer base than Samsung Pay.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Good point. Maybe that is what verizon is trying to do. Roll out their version of Android pay that incorporates the MST of Samsung Pay. Only have to get around some patent and copyright issues and Verizon has the resources to do that.

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Good point. Maybe that is what verizon is trying to do. Roll out their version of Android pay that incorporates the MST of Samsung Pay. Only have to get around some patent and copyright issues and Verizon has the resources to do that.

I doubt they are trying to roll out their own version of Android pay, they should just stay the heck away from Ventures in financial transactions, just look at the failed adventure with isis/softcard.

Perhaps it wasn't a fail, but seeings how Google acquired it, after the 3 major cell providers tried to do it on their own, led to a successful integration with google wallet and soon android pay.

This type of competition isn't necessarily healthy in the market of financial transactions, at least not from a customer viewpoint or VOC. In fact, screw apple pay too and Samsung pay for making the market such a worthless competition that doesn't bring customer satisfaction.

Also, if the hardware is already there, do they really need permission to actually make use of it? Speaking in terms of MST hardware, it just has to be ported to Android, which was part of LoopPay.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
SAMSUNG: Since you want to be like Apple so much, please grow a pair and do what Apple is doing. Sell your phones direct to the consumer unlocked with all radios needed to work on every carrier. Motorola has even started to do that with the X PURE. Put what you want on your phones and tell Verizon and the rest of them to take a long walk on a short pier.
You will quickly become a hero to the Android community. We are all tired of companies like Verizon messing around with phones. Removing key features and software or blocking services. We don't need and don't want their bloat ware. So please Samsung become a little more like Apple and tell Verizon they can stick their "Still evaluating" where the sun don't shine.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
You know, Verizon ADVERTISED this feature in these phones, so I don't see how they can not enable Samsung Pay. Wait...of course I see how they can do it -- they'll do it just like they did with Bluetooth, Google Maps, Google Wallet, video streaming, etc.

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
You know, Verizon ADVERTISED this feature in these phones, so I don't see how they can not enable Samsung Pay. Wait...of course I see how they can do it -- they'll do it just like they did with Bluetooth, Google Maps, Google Wallet, video streaming, etc.

Please post a link. I never saw VZW advertise Samsung Pay.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The difference between samsung pay and android pay(Google's new payment system inspite of having Google wallet) is that Samsung pay will be able to be used at 90% of merchants because of mst whereas android pay can only be used at nfc capable terminals. Samsung pay is the superior payment method with more advanced technology.

Actually Samsung Pay is NOT the more advanced technology, they are using both legacy technology and newer NFC technology. It's not superior technology, it just supports the outgoing standard and as merchants replace their POS terminals Samsung Pay's advantages will be minimized since legacy won't be supported.

Android Pay is equal to Apple Pay in that they both use NFC, Samsung Pay is actually weaker in the long term since its only a Samsung compatible device payment system.

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Actually Samsung Pay is NOT the more advanced technology, they are using both legacy technology and newer NFC technology. It's not superior technology, it just supports the outgoing standard and as merchants replace their POS terminals Samsung Pay's advantages will be minimized since legacy won't be supported.

Android Pay is equal to Apple Pay in that they both use NFC, Samsung Pay is actually weaker in the long term since its only a Samsung compatible device payment system.

While I don't disagree that MST is an older technology, I really don't see it going away any time soon. Many merchants have already updated their terminals, and it has magstrip and EMV (chip) built in, and not NFC. VERIFONE devices are EMV compliant, and where they don't work with apple/android pay, they will work with Samsung Pay.

I see Samsung Pay as a much better transaction service over the others, because where EMV has been incorporated without NFC, it will allow MST transactions.

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
While I don't disagree that MST is an older technology, I really don't see it going away any time soon. Many merchants have already updated their terminals, and it has magstrip and EMV (chip) built in, and not NFC. VERIFONE devices are EMV compliant, and where they don't work with apple/android pay, they will work with Samsung Pay.

I see Samsung Pay as a much better transaction service over the others, because where EMV has been incorporated without NFC, it will allow MST transactions.

Can someone explain the different terms being used here. I know NFC, but what is MST and EMW? I'm trying to understand the disadvantages of Android Pay, since that seems to be the only option for Verizon customers. I was really looking forward to Samsung Pay, but I never used any of the other services before and wouldn't know the difference. So what will I be missing by using Andorid Pay?

dridas

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Can someone explain the different terms being used here. I know NFC, but what is MST and EMW? I'm trying to understand the disadvantages of Android Pay, since that seems to be the only option for Verizon customers. I was really looking forward to Samsung Pay, but I never used any of the other services before and wouldn't know the difference. So what will I be missing by using Andorid Pay?

NFC = Near Field Communication
MST = Magnetic Secure Transmission
EMV = Europay, Mastercard, Visa

NFC is the wireless tap and pay feature used by Google Wallet, Android Pay, and Samsung Pay. Quite possibly PayPal in a few months.
MST is the technology that allows the Samsung devices to be utilized at legacy card readers.
EMV is the chip built in to new credit cards. I believe all credit cards have to be switched by Oct 1st, or at least their is some fraud protection, and who bears the cost of credit card fraud after oct 1st.

Hope that helps. BTW, I used Google Wallet for the first time about 2 weeks ago, and was impressed. The problem I have is that once you use it, you start to recognize all the places that don't have NFC devices, and even the places that have disabled the NFC on their readers. (Staples). That's where MST and Samsung Pay comes in to play, and why it really is a big deal.