Heavily considering Note 4 over the Note 5. Any objections?

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
If you are not a media hound and big gamer, the Note 5 is fine. The issue still is the glass design that still seems pointless since a case will be on it for most anyway. Why a design more prone to breaking?

I like my 200gb microsd and 8000mah battery. I travel though and both a gamer and a media hound.

The Note 5 is great for any gamer or media hound. More so than the N4 based on specs. I'm sorry but what is more prone to breaking? The back of the device? I may be missing the communications but are there high cases of breakage already? Or are you assuming there will be. What phones don't people put cases on? No glass (plastic) equates to not needing a case? Not sure I'd buy that theory. People buy cases no matter what the device is made out of.

I loved my Note 4 but the Note 5 is a much more capable device. Even with the sealed battery and no SD support the Note 5 is a beast...

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The Note 5 is great for any gamer or media hound. More so than the N4 based on specs. I'm sorry but what is more prone to breaking? The back of the device? I may be missing the communications but are there high cases of breakage already? Or are you assuming there will be. What phones don't people put cases on? No glass (plastic) equates to not needing a case? Not sure I'd buy that theory. People buy cases no matter what the device is made out of.

I loved my Note 4 but the Note 5 is a much more capable device. Even with the sealed battery and no SD support the Note 5 is a beast...
We shall agree to disagree :)

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Note 5 doesn't have the Bluetooth issues I was experiencing on my note 4. That is reason enough for me to be happy with my upgrade to the note 5.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

njshoremom4gurlz

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
My concern now is what if battery gets hot (great specs) and battery life does dwindle bad what do we do? We don't have a ""Samsung store" around in U.S. Do we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DexterMcDade

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Purchased a Note 4 on 7/24. Anything free is a "real good thang". I paid mine for $1.00 with a Sprint contract. Order the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

DexterMcDade

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
If an user adds lot of apps, store photos, video, music, and documents, strongly recommend to select the Note 5 64 GB version. Even a new smartphone will begin sluggish unless self maintenance being followed. Delete infrequent apps being used, clearing history, cookies, cache, and even wiping cache partition or factory reset with backup is crucial

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Note 5 doesn't have the Bluetooth issues I was experiencing on my note 4. That is reason enough for me to be happy with my upgrade to the note 5.

Or the GPS lock issues many of us had that was utterly annoying. Outside the known gripes (non-removable battery, no SD expansion, missing IR blaster), I'd challenge anyone here to point out anything the Note 4 did/does better than the Note 5. As for OP's question. I'm sure with the Note 5 out you can get deals on new and used Note 4's. You'll need at least a 64GB Note 5 so the price difference between the two will be substantial. So unless the gripes are show stoppers the Note 5's the better overall device but at a price premium.

Mitoman5

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If you don't care about the fingerprint sensor or the Samsung pay feature then note 4 is a good alternative. I'm really liking forward to these features, and actually love the fingerprint sensor so...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Or the GPS lock issues many of us had that was utterly annoying. Outside the known gripes (non-removable battery, no SD expansion, missing IR blaster), I'd challenge anyone here to point out anything the Note 4 did/does better than the Note 5. As for OP's question. I'm sure with the Note 5 out you can get deals on new and used Note 4's. You'll need at least a 64GB Note 5 so the price difference between the two will be substantial. So unless the gripes are show stoppers the Note 5's the better overall device but at a price premium.
For sure. The navigation was so bad on my note 4 that it was becoming a safety issue. It kept jumping around to streets that paralleled the road I was actually on. None of those issues on the 5.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

njshoremom4gurlz

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I won't be getting it I heavily rely on the GPS next year I trade in my suv next one I'll make sure it has one in. I don't feel like buying a GPS when the phone works perfect for it
Thank You so much!
I remember the note 2 having problems too.... That was such an awesome phone too thou lol
When time comes I'll grab the note 5. I'm basically bored w iPhone not that there's anything wrong not even a blip. I really just love android

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Do a search for GPS on the Note 4 forums. It's a well known and discussed issue.
I wonder if the new update 5.1.1 would solve it, cuz I just got a new Note 4 replacement with that update out of the box, no GPS issue. My previous Note 4 did have the issue, so maybe the new update would solve it?

Last edited:

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I originally considered getting the Note 4 over the Note 5, until I saw 4GB of RAM on the Note 5. I forgot about the non-removable battery and my disappointment over the loss of the SD card decreased.

Bingo. The analogy I use is that the processor is your engine, in your sports car of a phone, and RAM is the racetrack. You put a Ferrari on a go-kart track, you aren't gonna be able to go very fast.

While you cannot use expandable memory for an internal microSD card, you can use an adapter and a card via USB, or one of those handy dual-ended drives that SanDisk makes. I have one of those in a keychain pill bottle, and they are nice to carry along. I'm sure the folks at Mophie are working on a juice pack for extended battery life.

As far as RAM goes, an additional thought, so far, from my experience with Lollipop, I think it runs better with the extra room to roll. Hearing the issues some have on the 4, and what I had with my previous device, it just seems logical.

chesterdawg

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was planning to upgrade my note 3 to a note 5 soon. Changed my mind when I found out it has a sealed battery. I have four batteries for my note 3 and use two to three batteries per day. What were they thinking?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was planning to upgrade my note 3 to a note 5 soon. Changed my mind when I found out it has a sealed battery. I have four batteries for my note 3 and use two to three batteries per day. What were they thinking?

They were thinking about design and produced one beauty of a phone. They can't please everybody since anything any manufacturer does people will complain something or the other. As far as removable battery I get that some tiny percent used to swap the battery when needed but with quick charging it's not a big deal now a days. I get there are instances when you are outside removable battery comes handy but just carry a power bank or something and charge it up if needed. Slowly all OEMs are moving to better design and non removable batteries so if you don't change then you probably will be stuck with older gen phones. LG is the last among them and given how they follow Samsung, I bet they start changing their design next year.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
They were thinking about design and produced one beauty of a phone. They can't please everybody since anything any manufacturer does people will complain something or the other. As far as removable battery I get that some tiny percent used to swap the battery when needed but with quick charging it's not a big deal now a days. I get there are instances when you are outside removable battery comes handy but just carry a power bank or something and charge it up if needed. Slowly all OEMs are moving to better design and non removable batteries so if you don't change then you probably will be stuck with older gen phones. LG is the last among them and given how they follow Samsung, I bet they start changing their design next year.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I think Samsung could have done 2 variants of the Note 5, without compromising the "beauty" like they did with the Note 4 with a metal frame but with a plastic back. The Note 4 was/is gorgeous. They just announced the new Gear S2 with 2 variants, and the new Tab S2 is mostly metal but with a plastic back, so in essence the beauty doesn't need to be compromised. If they think an all metal phone would increase their sales, they're wrong. The latest quarter still shows an all metal IPhone is still king in the U.S., despite their gorgeous S6 and S6E.

As for swappable batteries, I use 2 a day since I often have CNN live video in the background, on the wknds, I have an extra one. The external power bank, etc are way too cumbersome. Besides, would you want to spend 20 minutes to be 100% again or 30 seconds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress