Thinking about leaving for an Iphone

Mill1978

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm really on the fence about leaving my Note 5 for an Apple. I have to send the Note in for repair for the 2nd time in 4 months and I feel like its time to try something new.

missy8787

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
What's wrong with it? I switched from the iPhone 6 plus to the note 5 just 2 months ago and am happier with this phone then I was with my iPhone and I had iPhone for the last 4 years
And this phone is by far better in my opinion.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I promise, you'll be back :-D I have the Note 5 and the iPhone 6S Plus, love them both....but would never go fully IOS, just a boring operating system, in my opinion.

Chris

George Collins1

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I've had the Note 3, 4, and 5, and my wife the Note 4. No trouble with any of them. I switched from iPhone 5s (4 and 3 before that). Glad I did. I still use an iPad, and much prefer Android system.

Posted via the Android Central App

bbqwings2

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Don't go to the dark side!
Anyway, I came from an iPhone 5s because I couldn't stand the operating system. You can't do anything on it. No file manager, apps can't do anything, even my jailbroken iPhone couldn't do nearly as much as Android.
I highly recommend you do your research about iOS limitations before you switch

From my AT&T Note 5 paired with my larger Asus Zenwatch 2

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You could try a Power + Home + Up Volume Button key combination to see if that will help the Note 5 power up into Recovery Mode. The same thing happened to my wife's Note 5 about a week ago, and that's how we got it to show the screen normally again. I went into Recovery Mode, and then from there rebooted the phone. It's been fine since then.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I say go try an Iphone.

Life is short and you only live once, and after all your changing phones not careers.

I will never buy an apple product but if your thinking about it go for it, you will either like it better or you won't but you'll know for sure.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Give it a shot. It might end up being the choice for you. The reality is that I have found that I can make either system work for me. There are things that I prefer on each system. It's a matter of priorities. What functions make the biggest difference to you? For me the only reason I would go with an iPhone is because my family and a lot of my friends use it so it's nice for iMessage and FaceTime. That's really it. Some apps look better but many times don't have the same functions as in Android. Usually it relates to sharing data and accessing it.

That's me though. You should try for yourself if you really want to. Nobody here can tell you what system is best for you. Only you can. Good luck.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been with Android since the beginning. Have watched the changes, improvements, frustrations... you name it.

I enjoy the Note 5, however, am already on my third one since November 1st, first was defective from the start, the other screwed up by the initial Marshmallow update. Currently on the third, warranty replacement, that came with a ded graded battery, running Lollipop and it's been pushing me to accept the newer MM update daily.

I like the quality of the Samsung display screen and the ability to control the phone to my own customization.

If... and it's a big if... Apple improves their screen displays and gives us the ability to better control their phones to OUR liking, especially the home screen, that they're talking about, I will very much consider leaving Android.

The local Apple store can swap out a battery is one hour. There's NO Samsung service center in all of Denver.

I went to a MacBook last year from thirty-two years on a PC and guess what? I like it!

I'm tired of the lack of support from Samsung on their phones especially after their usually problematic updates with Verizon and Google.

When the Note 5 runs, it runs well. BUT... I'm seeing a degradation in the replacement battery and I have no recourse but to deal with Verizon and their mind numbing bumbling customer service. With Apple as mentioned, I'd just make one call, get an appointment and get a fresh, new battery! And... regular updates!

YMMV!

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm really on the fence about leaving my Note 5 for an Apple. I have to send the Note in for repair for the 2nd time in 4 months and I feel like its time to try something new.

would this be by chance a carrier branded note 5, I seem to see more people know having issues with those vs the unlocked international one's. Mine is the 920I model unlocked international and I have had no issues at all. However again everyone with a carrier model has issues constantly that I know and its like 5 of them so I feel your pain but you might have luck with an unlocked model if that is the case.

Mill1978

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been with Android since the beginning. Have watched the changes, improvements, frustrations... you name it.

I enjoy the Note 5, however, am already on my third one since November 1st, first was defective from the start, the other screwed up by the initial Marshmallow update. Currently on the third, warranty replacement, that came with a ded graded battery, running Lollipop and it's been pushing me to accept the newer MM update daily.

I like the quality of the Samsung display screen and the ability to control the phone to my own customization.

If... and it's a big if... Apple improves their screen displays and gives us the ability to better control their phones to OUR liking, especially the home screen, that they're talking about, I will very much consider leaving Android.

The local Apple store can swap out a battery is one hour. There's NO Samsung service center in all of Denver.

I went to a MacBook last year from thirty-two years on a PC and guess what? I like it!

I'm tired of the lack of support from Samsung on their phones especially after their usually problematic updates with Verizon and Google.

When the Note 5 runs, it runs well. BUT... I'm seeing a degradation in the replacement battery and I have no recourse but to deal with Verizon and their mind numbing bumbling customer service. With Apple as mentioned, I'd just make one call, get an appointment and get a fresh, new battery! And... regular updates!

YMMV!

Taking my daughter to the Apple store last weekend (before my phone broke) made me think about how quick and easily they replaced her defective phone....It took 30mins...I wish samsung had a service center and it performed like Apples

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Every manufacturer has problems. The first smart phone I had was an iPhone. And I loved it. Until one day I plugged it into my computer and ran a sync. Lost every photo on the phone. Several months later, I tried it again. Every contact was doubled. Cleaned it out and tried again. Deleted every contact I had. I brought it up in a forum about the problem and was immediately told that I didn't know what I was doing. (Plug the wire into my computer and iTunes comes up. Hit sync. What was I doing wrong?)
As with everyone's here complaint about MM. I got an update on my iPhone that bricked my phone. The only difference was, MM screwed up a few phones. The iPhone update I got bricked an entire model line.
There are going to be updates that will affect some users adversely. The majority will have no problems. We, in this forum come here for answers to our questions, so of course a high percentage of people here have had a problem with the update. And there are hundreds of thousands of users that have had no problem. I'm waiting for AT&T to send out the update to see if it fixes a Bluetooth issue I have. If it doesn't, I go see AT&T to see about repair.
Personally, even with my Bluetooth issue, I wouldn't trade my Note 5 for any iPhone. I like tweaking my phone to my personal preference.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I sold my Note 5 and my Galaxy S6 and went back to an iPhone and now I'm so sad I want to cry! As a matter of fact, I was just on Swappa and CL checking out prices even though I'm terrified I'll get scammed. I hate to buy a brand new N5 from AT&T because I'll want the N6 when it's released. I guess I'll just have to stick to the iPhone until the N6 comes out. I was disgusted with lack of updates, bloatware and group texting problems and that's why I switched. I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal with those things though because I miss the tight Google Now integration, the themes, being able to change my font, and the S-pen.

If you decide to switch my advice is to keep your N5 handy (don't sell it) so you don't end up like me and stuck with a phone you would rather not have.

Mill1978

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
You could try a Power + Home + Up Volume Button key combination to see if that will help the Note 5 power up into Recovery Mode. The same thing happened to my wife's Note 5 about a week ago, and that's how we got it to show the screen normally again. I went into Recovery Mode, and then from there rebooted the phone. It's been fine since then.
That's always my android good to when I have a problem and this time it didn't work

Mill1978

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Just an update.....Samsung is looking to replace or repair my phone. I sent then an email about my situation and it looks like I'm getting results.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
There is one thing I have to give the old iPhone credit for...

It never suffers from random battery drainage like my Note 5 and S7 Edge do. Out of nowhere, these phones will be at 70% or so and then an hour later, they can be at 40% or worse and I haven't even touched them during that hour.

Every Android phone I have ever owned has done this at random from my old Nexus 4, Note Edge, Note 4, and now my S7 Edge and Note 5. Earlier, I noticed Google maps had started up all on it's own and was at the top of the battery usage list. I uninstalled Google Maps as soon as I saw that. Don't need it if it's going to start up on it's own. My Note 5 is rooted so the ROM I am using didn't come with maps installed, I had to install it so I was able to remove it just as easy.

I'll keep hanging onto my 6S, 6S+ and my old 6+.

Idelgado782

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from an iPhone 6s+ last week to the note 5. I think as some here have said that it depends on what you are looking for. I am constantly switching back and forth between ios and android. I mainly switch back to ios because of work and because they have saturated the market with partnerships etc. I switched back to android last week because I use two numbers. I have my main number from att and then the google voice number that I use for clients. With ios there is no way to differentiate the ringtone and where you are getting calls from, whether its the main line or google voice. With android you can easily see where the call is coming from and that made a big difference for me. I love features in both, but the phone calls and the S Pen is what made me go back to the note. I love having the capability to write a quick note on the screen without having to search for a pen and paper. I would say go for it. You have at least 14 days to switch and if you don't like it then just go back to your Note.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member