Amazon apps not updating (error -505) since Verizon Note 5 updated to Marshmallow

lmb02

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Before Verizon upgraded my Note5 OTA to Marshmallow, all the Amazon apps (Kindle, Shopping, etc) updated just fine. After Marshmallow, they all fail with error -505 (and Google's "help" is useless). Only Amazon apps fail.

Am I the only lucky user with this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are these apps updating through the Play Store, or through the Amazon Appstore/Underground? If the latter, check to see if there's an update to the Appstore/Underground itself.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Before Verizon upgraded my Note5 OTA to Marshmallow, all the Amazon apps (Kindle, Shopping, etc) updated just fine. After Marshmallow, they all fail with error -505 (and Google's "help" is useless). Only Amazon apps fail.

Am I the only lucky user with this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

You have to have the AUDIBLE app active and updated to have the other Amazon apps update.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Wow, really?:confused: Is that on purpose, or some weird bug?

Apparently Amazon apps require some of the Audible framework to work. I don't think this is a bug as much as it is a uniform framework for Amazon apps. That said, I am no code writer only a user.

rvhs03

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I am also having this issue. Recently signed up for prime and wanted to use prime video and music. Went and re-enabled music and it won't open or update. When I open it, I get a message that the device can't be verified. When I try to update it, I get the same message as everyone else here. I re-enabled every amazon app on the phone and still no dice. I'm going to factory reset later and see if it fixes it. Really don't want to spend hours with Amazon tech support.

Posted via the Android Central App

lmb02

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Good heavens, that was it. Enabled Audible, updated it, and then Kindle and Amazon Music updated.

Sure would be nice if Amazon mentioned that in, oh, an error message, or on the app page...

Grazie mille, beh!!

wesyates

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm that 1) not having Audible enabled and 2) not updated that caused my Kindle app not to update. I even had to put my Turbo 2 in safe mode to update both apps. Once I enabled Audible and updated it in Play Store, Kindle app updated. The error I was getting was -505.

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
This is old news as I reported a fix months ago.

Everyone experiencing issues with Amazon apps needs to try updating the Audible app first, the others will update thereafter. If you are like me and disabled it, re-enable, update, update other Amazon apps, then disable Audible again. Fixed my problems, hopefully it'll solve yours too! May not cover 100% of people's issues, but for 99% of us, this should work.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/652738-solution-amazon-apps-505-error.html#post5393034