I. Want. My. Google. Assistant. Now!

CraigS26

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm AT&T Note 5 in Alabama and found Google Asst already Inst'd from the Hm Button Long Press.
You have to give permission for them to sleep, shower, and drive with you but for most I'm sure it's worth it.

1stGalaxyS3

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Verizon Note 5, running stock Android 6.0.1 (with latest February 1, 2017 security update).
Just got it an hour ago!
I didn't do anything special, just updated my Google app via the play store a few days ago (now its version 6.13.25.21.arm64). I never got any play services update or notification. I kept on holding down the home button once in a while though. Like the moderators said, it is definitely a server side "switch."

zzoinks

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have it on my AT&T Note 5 as of yesterday and... how do I get rid of it. I don't want to talk to my phone like that. I work in an office and don't care to let everyone around me know my business.

My main beef is that I've lost the quick access button that Now On Tap had to create a reminder.

-Brett.

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Got it just now, opened Alo, looked at the news, closed it ,long pressed on Home , it popped up ....I.realize that opening Alo had nothing to do with it .... I'd been banging on Home all day

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Kinda sucks that Google Now on Tap search box isn't there anymore and now you have to SAY "Google Now" to take you to your main Google Now info page. SMH. What if I don't want to say anything?!

zzoinks

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Go into the settings menu while is assistant and your can toggle it off.

You can do that, but it doesn't bring back Now On Tap. Instead, when you long press the home button with Assistant off, it just gives a message that the assistant is off and asks if you would like to turn it on.

-Brett.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I got it last night. While its nice to finally be closer to the bleeding edge of android, I wish there was a to type questions like you can in Allo. I dont feel like society is quite ready for people to be asking queries into their phones out loud. Also, I google a lot of weird stuff sometimes.

TheMatrix31

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's terrible. I guess I won't be using that feature anymore.

*shrug*

EDIT: Apparently there's a way to get regular Google Now on Tap back:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/How-...istant-and-get-Google-Now-On-Tap-back_id91891

I changed mine to some Asian language and then struggled mightily to get it back to English because all the menus across my phone changed but for some reason Google Now on Tap came back so whatever I guess. I'd like to know how to bring Google Assistant back though just to know how to go back and forth. I read someone elsewhere say if you swipe up on Google Assistant the regular Google Now on Tap cards and such pop up. Wanted to try that.

Last edited:

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
As with a lot of things the anticipation is better than the reality, apart from playing with it after I got it I'm not sure how much I'll use it .

I'll watch some YouTube videos to get a better handle on using it

mcoomer

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have it on my AT&T Note 5 as of yesterday and... how do I get rid of it. I don't want to talk to my phone like that. I work in an office and don't care to let everyone around me know my business.

My main beef is that I've lost the quick access button that Now On Tap had to create a reminder.

-Brett.

In assistant settings is a slider that looks like it turns Google Assistant on and off.

Mike