Sound Problem with Note 5 after Nougat

RichCMUK

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
I live in Thailand, my Note 5 received nougat on Friday 24th, since then I have had major sounds problems. Most notification sounds, s pen, undock, alarm and ringtones and others disappear. This happens daily. A restart fixes the issue.
2 Factory resets, cleared cache , 2 resets at the Samsung customer service centre, but it happened again.
I even replaced my S Pen, which has been sticking a little, this didn.t fix it.

Has anyone else had this issue?

My model number is N920c and I downloaded the official Samsung Nougat version.

myandroidgs6

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I don't have Nougat yet , so can't help you much ...
For now , can you put android marshmallow back ?
and wait for your phone carrier to push out the update .. Safer this way .

RichCMUK

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I asked Samsung service to return it to Marshmallow, they couldn't do it. I will probably have to live with it until Samsung sends out an update. I have read of a few other people with this issue on other Samsung phones, so hopefully Samsung is aware of it and they are preparing a patch.

TrevT

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Im in the UK, and after updating to Nougat, I am now having the disappearing sound issue almost daily, as you say, a reset sorts it out, anyone with any ideas how to fix it would be much appreciated

Trev

RichCMUK

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
Hi Trev,
Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry you are experiencing the same problem, but it is also good to know, I am not the only one. As for a solution, I wish there was one. I have found just a few other cases from other Samsung phones, but no info on a fix.
I think we have no choice but to wait for Samsung to send an update, which I hope will be very soon. If you hear of any fixes, please let me know.

Thanks

P.S. Did you get the official Over the Air update from Samsung?

TrevT

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Update was a genuine OTA from Samsung,
I don't suppose it matters, but just for your info, I bought he phone in Dubai and its showing as UAE in about device menu

lets hope we get it sorted sooner rather than later

Trev

TrevT

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi

I am still having this problem on a daily basis,
I am now going to run in "safe mode" for a few days to see if this cures it

Trev

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Safe mode is a great idea in this case. You'll be able to see if the notifications work with just what came on the device, using the factory default settings. This will help you identify app or setting conflicts. If it all works as intended, then it's just a matter of identifying the offending app.

If this doesn't isolate your issue, consider the possibility that the update file that you downloaded may have been corrupted. This is possible if your phone doesn't maintain a good and constant contact with the network while downloading the update. If that happened, the FDR would make no difference because you wouldn't be replacing the OS itself.

The fix could be to reload the update. I would have expected the Samsung folks to do this. Download and install Samsung's Smart Switch for your PC. Here's a YouTube video that explains how to use Smart Switch. It's not my video. This for a Galaxy S6 Edge, but the process is the same. The Smart Switch application has been updated (this video is almost two years old), so it looks a little bit different than in the video. The part that you need is almost the same. In the video, the tab you want is labelled "Software Update and Initialization". Now it's called DEVICE INITIALIZATION.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AZyalTf5Y

1. Connect your phone and hit the MORE button on the upper right corner of the Smart Switch window.
2. Click on EMERGENCY SOFTWARE RECOVERY AND INITIALIZATION.
3. Click on DEVICE INITIALIZATION.
4. Click OK and follow the prompts.

The software will grab the latest OS for your phone, put the phone into the correct maintenance mode, and install the OS with the latest update. This should leave your phone as though you took it from the box with Nougat preinstalled.

Last edited:

TrevT

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi underway99

That is a really informative reply and a very good idea,
I think I will go straight to your suggestion and reinstall the original software, I was D/L Nougat at work with a poor signal so you could be right, plus a new install should also help to clear out any junk that has accumulated over the past few months, I will then run stock with no programs installed for a few days and see how it goes,
please note it seems to be a problem for many makes and not just the Note 5, a look round the net throws up a few different makes all exhibiting the same problem, and lets be honest a phone that does not ring is not that useful

many thanks again and I will report back in a few days

Trev

havinhphu188

May 1, 2017
Visit site
also, when the problem come up, I can't play music by another music player app. It toast error message: "sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file"

RichCMUK

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
Hi Undereay99,
Thank you for you great advice, I have tried almost all of the things you suggested, except the reinstall from Smart switch, I will give it a try.
I have now done a total of 7 FDR, hard, soft and at Samsung, also I tried one with just the installed apps, it still happened. I think the issue is as Trev mentioned, with the OS. The latest April security patch didn't help either.

Thanks

P.S. I will let all of you know if it works.

David Zhang4

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem with my note5 . I'm in Canada at bell network. After automatic update to android 7.0 the phone stop ringing in a daily basis. I have to restart the phone to make it sound up again. I did a factory reset still the same thing.
I problem have to go back to previous version.
Anybody's have some solutions?

RichCMUK

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I tried the reset Underway99 recommended, using Smart Switch. Sadly, it didn't work, it has happened 3 times since the reset.
I have now tried every possible way to reset my phone. Oh well, I guess we just have to wait for Samsung to send a patch.
Samsung told me they can't return the phone to marshmallow.
Any others tips will be helpful.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
There was a security update recently and this fixed some issues for me. GPS is a lot fast, Google Assist actually will send a text instead of just hanging there. That's all I have noticed so far.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry that the software reload wasn't the answer. Normally, a software issue will be fixed by reloading the OS. That presumes that the software itself is good.

Since it doesn't appear to be widespread through all these devices, I wonder if a faulty component in the circuitry that handles the audio notifications could be the culprit? If that's the case, might we see more of this as these devices age?

havinhphu188

May 1, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone, I have a solution that needs you guy to help me test it, to make sure it work. My tip is
Step 1. turn off the sound of s-pen (the sound that plays when you draw the s-pen or put it back).
Step 2. Restart your phone (hold screen off button for 3 second)
It has been a week since my last restart. I think at least it will help to extend the non-error period. Please let me know if it works or not at havinhphu188@gmail.com, for gathering data purpose

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty