07-30-2016 12:25 AM
29 12
tools
    I'm swiping from apple and selling my mac what computers do android users use these days?
    07-24-2016 01:46 PM
    I'm swiping from apple and selling my mac what computers do android users use these days?
    Well I'm pretty sure there will be people using different brands of PC or Mac or Chromebooks. It's not like android users are using some one brand of anything. Depending on budget and needs they will choose one of those.
    SZQnl likes this.
    07-24-2016 02:09 PM
    I use a PC. Windows 10. Mainly for gaming.
    07-24-2016 04:56 PM
    I have a Surface Book and love it. But I'm sure any good pc will do.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-24-2016 05:39 PM
    For a laptop, go MSI. Though this is for a power user and won't get the best battery life. Razer is a good choice though pricey and lots of people are enjoying the dell xps though i don't trust anything by dell.

For a tablet, surface is my favorite. Though some people like some don't. It's more of a computer than a tablet and is also price for the good model.
    07-24-2016 05:57 PM
    I recently started using the Asus Chromebook Flip. Its keyboard can completely swing under to make it a touch tablet.

It's phenomenal and soon (or now on developer channel) I can load full Android apps from the Play store. Making it work with Skype, office etc or even GMAIL offline.

I almost never need my slow loading bulky Windows laptop anymore.

07-24-2016 07:24 PM
    I have a Surface Book and it's the best computer I have ever used!

Posted via the Android Central App on the S7 edge
    07-24-2016 10:29 PM
    If you want to be mobile and just connect to a dock and monitor when at home; I'd consider a Surface Pro, or one of the "2 in 1" laptops. Both offer table like capabilities and are relatively small/lightweight, but can perform as a desktop when docked. Windows 10 is a versatile OS that works well with the Google ecosystem. Most current small form factor laptops/2 in 1s, and Surface Pros also have USB ports so that you to connect a Note via USB if needed.
    07-25-2016 06:34 AM
    If you don't need to run JAVA to use the programs you need then I would suggest a Chromebook as it is inexpensive compared to PCs and does everything well. With the ability to run android apps from the Play Store you can run MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote) exactly like on a PC. If you don't mind the cost I would suggest a Samsung Series 9 laptop in the version with a solid metal case and all solid state components allowing for a very thin form factor is what I have been using for the last 4 years.
    You should be aware that MS has stopped support for most models of the Surface and most likely will stop supporting all of them in the near future from the reports I have seen.
    07-25-2016 07:50 AM
    If you don't need to run JAVA to use the programs you need then I would suggest a Chromebook as it is inexpensive compared to PCs and does everything well. With the ability to run android apps from the Play Store you can run MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote) exactly like on a PC. If you don't mind the cost I would suggest a Samsung Series 9 laptop in the version with a solid metal case and all solid state components allowing for a very thin form factor is what I have been using for the last 4 years.
    You should be aware that MS has stopped support for most models of the Surface and most likely will stop supporting all of them in the near future from the reports I have seen.
    I would second the Samsung Series 9 notebooks. They are a little pricey, but very good. I tried Lenovo, HP, Toshiba, Asus and the Series 9 (Spin) blows them away. Great screen, good keyboard and trackpad, good battery and the software works very well. I use it for work and home.
    07-25-2016 08:00 AM
    Why would you sell your Mac just because you're getting an Android phone?
    07-25-2016 10:44 AM
    Cause it feels wrong lol apple and andriod
    07-25-2016 03:51 PM
    Cause it feels wrong lol apple and andriod
    Lol it's OK for PC (Microsoft) and android?

Use what works not this fanboy stuff.
    07-25-2016 04:40 PM
    I have a Surface Pro 4. No issue here with S7 Edge or Note 5.
    07-25-2016 10:54 PM
    Just keep the Mac, it works fine with android.

Android works just without any PC actually. It is unlike the iPhone in that way.
    07-26-2016 02:23 AM
    I just sold my self built desktop pc and bought my first Apple device, a MacBook (12" early 2016, m3, 256GB ssd, 8GB ram). I don't have demanding requirements. I installed W10 Pro with Boot Camp! It works brilliantly. Super portable, beautiful 16:10 display, excellent battery life even under Windows.

I was thinking about getting a Samsung TabPro S but the small ssd and ram I couldn't live with. I'm planning to get Note 7 to satisfy my touch screen needs. I think it will be a nice combination! Ha

As others have said, Android will work well with anything. Get whatever fits best for your needs/wants.
    07-26-2016 04:53 AM
    I have an assortment of PCs. I have a couple Linux PCs, a Chromebook, and a Chromebox. For my PC build: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...-all-have.html
    07-26-2016 09:22 AM
    Just keep the Mac, it works fine with android.

Android works just without any PC actually. It is unlike the iPhone in that way.
    iPhone also works without PC or Mac just like Android. Why do you need to connect to computer for anything? Don't tell me to connect to iTunes, why does anyone use iTunes still? You can backup everything to the cloud just like Android. In fact in iPhone iCloud back up even backs up app data unlike Google backup. And for music, iTunes music is in the cloud or any other music service is on the cloud.

If there is a reason you connect iPhone to computer then should have the same reason to connect your Android phone to computer.
    07-26-2016 10:18 AM
    ...You should be aware that MS has stopped support for most models of the Surface and most likely will stop supporting all of them in the near future from the reports I have seen.
    I'm admittedly new to looking at the Surface...Surface Pro 4 to be specific...and this statement concerns me. Do you have a website you can point me to to back this up or enable me to do some deeper research on the "future ability" of this particular hardware/software combo?

Thanks.
    07-26-2016 10:35 AM
    I have a Lenovo Yoga 900 because it fits my needs, but literally any PC, Mac or Chromebook would work. All Google's services are available on web browsers, rather than needing to rely on separate programs.
    07-26-2016 12:05 PM
    I'm admittedly new to looking at the Surface...Surface Pro 4 to be specific...and this statement concerns me. Do you have a website you can point me to to back this up or enable me to do some deeper research on the "future ability" of this particular hardware/software combo?

Thanks.
    I don't, sorry. I saw something in one of the national businesses papers online regarding the ending of sales and support of the models before the Pro 4 awhile back. However, a couple of days ago I saw an announcement on one of the tech online newsletters of an update for the Pro 3 even though that model is no longer manufactured and was a sales failure. So support for at least the models 3 & 4 seems to be current at this time.
    French likes this.
    07-26-2016 12:15 PM

Thanks.
    Beh's statement is false.

The Surface Pro, Pro 2, Pro 3 and Pro 4 all use an Intel processor and all run the current Windows 10 builds, just like any other laptops.

The Surface and Surface 2 use ARM processors, and run Windows RT, the ARM variant of Windows 8.1. These haven't been updated to Windows 10 and likely never will. The Surface 3 switched to an Intel Atom chip, and runs the latest Windows 10 build like any other laptop.

If you buy a Surface Pro 3 or Pro 4, you'll be fine. It will be supported until the hardware dies just like any other laptop running Windows 10.

I don't know where Beh has read that Microsoft is dropping support for the Surface Pro line, but they aren't. They are likely to do a hardware refresh in early 2017 to coincide with the next big Windows 10 update.

For more, follow Windows Central, one of Android Central's sister sites.
    French likes this.
    07-26-2016 01:08 PM
    I just bought a Lenovo Yoga. Love it.
    07-26-2016 01:36 PM
    Really analyze how often you use any software that is not browser based.

If it is not often or only at home then I think Chrome book is the most in sync with your Android device.

All I ever travel with now is my chrome book. It fits in my old tablet case! I turn it on and it is on and ready to go and the battery lasts over 10 hours! I still have a Windows machine anchored at home but my Chromebook has full access to everything I do on my Android phone: Google docs, sheets, slides, Keep Notes, play Movies, books and music with no fuss. Now with integrated Android Play apps running on it It is truly an offline machine too.

I looked down on the Chrome book before ... Thinking it is a school kid's toy... But I love my Asus Flip. I think this is the most integrated and powerful way to go with the Android ecosystem.

07-27-2016 12:24 AM
    Dell XPS 13 with USB-C port , love mine
    07-27-2016 05:56 PM
29 12