What is the advantage of curved edge over flat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I loved curved displays, in theory. I think they look great and they always catch my attention when I see them. But would I want one for myself? I don't know and I don't really think so. I love the Note 5 and will be happy if I stay with it, but I also love new, shiny things, especially new Notes, so I may give in to the curved craze. Both of my sisters had s6 edges (one was a plus). The s6e+ shattered and became basically a paperweight after a while and the s6e holds up well with falls, but my sister finds it annoying at times, so I'm really not sure how I feel about them for everyday use or if they have any real advantage besides looking cool.

kronium

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a S7edge and there's micro scratches all over the curved area. The glass or coating must be weak in the curved areas. There's no method to fully protect the edges Also, when you wear polarized sun glasses, the curved area is darker and distorted. I'm really bummed there's no flat Note 7.

mabelpines

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
I have a S7edge and there's micro scratches all over the curved area. The glass or coating must be weak in the curved areas. There's no method to fully protect the edges Also, when you wear polarized sun glasses, the curved area is darker and distorted. I'm really bummed there's no flat Note 7.

Are there no good screen protectors?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If you are a gamer, the lack of bezel is annoying and can facilitate scratches. Not to mention more cleaning the display. Really hoping for no curve on this, since also means a higher price by about $50. If it had front stereo speakers like the MXPE, that would be good for $50 more :) Presuming if as good as the MXPE's.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Not practical due to curved display. There are protection or practical compromises with curved displays. The protectors are a comical effort to install and cover the display. That said, I have had the MXPE since launch with no screen protector and the S7 should have even better scratch protection. Perhaps no harm no foul :)

That said, I like the rim of the device protected and ability to lay on display with clearance. A rimmed case would impeded the view of the curve display.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
When I decided to go for new phone (using s 5 now), I decided on the note, because I wanted a larger phone. I like the size of iphone 6+.
So I'm not happy with rumor of curved screen. The S7 edge says 5.5. But it was no bigger screen then my phone now. To me the edge takes away size.
But will decide after seeing it.
Might wait and see what the LG V20 is gonna be.

Posted from Android Central.
on Samsung Galaxy s5

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I have seen a toughened glass screen protector which follows the curved edges of the Note 7. This will protect the protruding edges I believe.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Nope, the film type all start coming off at the curves and there's no decent tempered glass option.

I have had the IQShield film on the curved back of my Note 5 for about 10 months and it hasn't lifted or come unattached anywhere including the curved sides.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
No there really aren't any good protectors out for the edge screens- at least not ones for the long haul.

Posted via the Android Central App

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Looks bezel less head on and has side features that just won't work on a flat screen

posted via the lovely innovative Priv by BlackBerry - Powered by Android

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The only apparent advantage is they can make the device thinner and call it a 5.7" display, when from a straight forward video view it is really 5.5" due to the curve. The display feature used is just a little swipe strip that can be done with a flat display. The curve is not needed for that.

I get why Samsung did it (S7E sales), but seems if people wanted a curve they would buy the Edge (for less). The combo of the edge display, 820 and high price might sway more people away than gain. I tried to like it, but the display IMO is less user friendly due to harder to case protect, video distortion for media and awkward while gaming. Not conjecture either, since I tested one out today. Love the pen function though, but that is about it.

As far as the 820, they kind of had no choice unless delayed to give chance for 821 production ramp-up.

freedomx20a

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
The swipe stripe on a flat screen will look terrible and be to obviously sticking out

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The swipe stripe on a flat screen will look terrible and be to obviously sticking out

Still taking up the same display space, but the curve kind of hides it- hence when looking straight at the display, it is really not 5.7" and 5.5" from that perspective. Also, the curve surface size seems to be too small for Edge feature functions to be legible. I did not see anything other than the swipe bars on the N7. The viewing surface of the curve is thin (half the Edge). Does Edge features work? People with an Edge that upgrade might be disappointed.

Plus, why even need the bars? Simple swipe from left or right would serve the same purpose and does on other devices.

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
A curved edge allows a phone to have practically no side bezels. I put my S7 edge next to an iPhone 6s plus and I had to laugh at the difference in overall size despite the same screen size.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge
The iPhone 6s has a much smaller screen than the S7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo