Are you buying the Galaxy Note7?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No.... I don't like Samsung. I don't need a pen. The current generation of Sumsungs look cheesy despite the glitter and I'm just not into all the fragile glass and the edge and touchwiz. Will wait to see what Nexus and the LG V20 look like.

Posted via the Android Central App

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
Probably will because I have a compulsive disorder that compels me to utilize jump on demand as much as T-mobile will let me. Coming from S7 Edge so it won't be much of an upgrade, but I've never owned a Note before...

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
So right now I have an LG G3. I won an LG G4 in September (seven months or so). The G4 got hit with bootloop so it went back and I got a refurbished warranty replacement. Ironically, the G3 has been behaving better. I did a factory reset on it and removed a ton of apps it doesn't need wit the G4 as my daily driver. But between the two phones, things are working pretty well. I put the media burden on the G3 as most of that sort of thing only needs WiFi.

Overall, I do like the G4 but as my 3rd LG phone, it is definitely the one that has had the most problems. Though today, AT&T actually sent me the July security patch. So that is cool. Great camera too.

I just paid off the G3, so my AT&T Next obligations are satisfied (wife paid off her iPhone too). So now our cell bill is $60 lower. I am VERY tempted to buy a Note 7. But I think I will wait a bit. 1) I get my raise in October and raises at my company are usually around 10% so it would more than offset adding to my bill again. 2) I'd like to wait for the LG V20 to come out. I know there will be Note 7 vs V20 reviews. I think by the end of the year, though, I will own one of the two phones (unless a killer 5.5-5.7" Nexus handset comes out by then).

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering about an IR blaster as well. I JUST used the one in my G4 this weekend (again). So it is a feature I definitely take advantage of. If I have to give up knock-on to move from LG to Samsung, it could at least keep the IR blaster. Truth be told I wish more electronics used WiFi remotes like the Roku. Nothing like a point anywhere remote. It also makes it easy for the app to control the box as well.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes I will definitely buy it. Exactly what I expected.

maybe I'm just spoiled... I buy a new phone every year. #1 on my list has always been the quality of the rear camera. My current phones, Note 5 and S7 edge, have much better cameras than the iPhone 6s Plus(company phone).

I must have been expecting Samsung to put a MUCH better camera on the Note 7... instead, they put the same camera on it. Now I have no reason to guy the Note 7.(since it has the same camera as my S7 edge :( ) Well, there's always next year... sincerely hope the Note 8 will have a MUCH better camera.... or have we reached the top of what's possible technically?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Talking about the battery of which I've already replaced two with my Note 4 since I've used and abused them (they lost a lot of capacity from doing so). Besides this Note 4 is far from obsolete, even on its original release of KitKat! It still works great and performs well regardless of what I throw at it. Thus I decided to get some insurance on that in case something happens to my primary Note 4. I don't want my only options to be a Note 5 or 7 and their sealed/embedded batteries (Yuck!!! :()!

I've owned the notes 1,3,4,5 and I must say that the 4 was my best. Sure the others have good features, but I was real productive with the 4 and all it's features. The 5 is a close 2nd cause I used it's features as well; I just couldn't change the battery and it didn't have expandable storage.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I won't be buying the Note 7. This is the first time I've ever been let down by an upgraded device. Don't get me wrong, the Note 7 seems fantastic, but not $10 more a month for 24 months fantastic. I think the Galaxy Note 4 at the price it's at now in stores is a huge bargain.

The Note 4 has been a device I've kept longest since one of my very first cell phones ( A Moto Slvr) 8 months is my usual limit but so far I've been with the Note 4 for 10 months and I'd be fine with it for a other year. The phone is THAT good. I always buy the latest and greatest but this will be the first time I skip a device.

The only way I would be willing to shell out $850 would be if the battery was 4000mAh and served 128gb of storage. It's very unrealistic but it's what would drive me to purchase it. I'll wait till next year for the Note 8. If not the Note 8, I'll upgrade to the Note 7 when I can purchase it outright for $400.

This just proves that Samsung did a supremely good job with the Note 4. It hurts them because folks like me don't need to upgrade. It's was some manufacturers try to avoid. Resilience and reliability in the long term.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Wrong again:

Higher resolution, more Ram, bigger Battery best available CPU has always been the case. Even last year's model was better than the S line

I mean again a non removable battery in a phablet used for productivity that just feels wrong.
The only Note with a higher resolution display is the Note 4, though. Every other Note keeps the same resolution as the S phone (though some use an RGB matrix instead of PenTile).

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
No.... I don't like Samsung. I don't need a pen. The current generation of Sumsungs look cheesy despite the glitter and I'm just not into all the fragile glass and the edge and touchwiz. Will wait to see what Nexus and the LG V20 look like.

You do realize that had it not been for Samsung android wouldn't be where it is right?

aparker2005

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I am hesitant based off the non removal battery. I swap a lot and can't stand not having a backup battery to use.

Seems everyone is going this way though. Is it really such a big deal?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You do realize that had it not been for Samsung android wouldn't be where it is right?

If you say so, however it's irrelevant and it doesn't mean I have to like it. The OP poster asked us to answer yes or no and why. I think I fulfilled that request. If you like Samsung, enjoy your phone....its just not for me. Oh.... Another reason....too expensive. If I did buy a phone with a pen I would just get a Note 4 for 299 new.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
yes I am going to order the black one, just on the fence on if I should order now to get the free 256 card (assuming Verizon offers it) or wait until later in the year and try and get a better price. I will be giving my iPhone 6+ to my son here in a few days so I will be using my old iPhone 5 until I get the note.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I won't be buying the Note 7. This is the first time I've ever been let down by an upgraded device. Don't get me wrong, the Note 7 seems fantastic, but not $10 more a month for 24 months fantastic. I think the Galaxy Note 4 at the price it's at now in stores is a huge bargain.

The Note 4 has been a device I've kept longest since one of my very first cell phones ( A Moto Slvr) 8 months is my usual limit but so far I've been with the Note 4 for 10 months and I'd be fine with it for a other year. The phone is THAT good. I always buy the latest and greatest but this will be the first time I skip a device.

The only way I would be willing to shell out $850 would be if the battery was 4000mAh and served 128gb of storage. It's very unrealistic but it's what would drive me to purchase it. I'll wait till next year for the Note 8. If not the Note 8, I'll upgrade to the Note 7 when I can purchase it outright for $400.

This just proves that Samsung did a supremely good job with the Note 4. It hurts them because folks like me don't need to upgrade. It's was some manufacturers try to avoid. Resilience and reliability in the long term.

I'm not a Samsung fan but I agree with you whole heartedly. The Note 4 is a great value and is living proof that a removable battery does serve a very good purpose in phone longevity. If you don't need the latest and greatest get the Note 4.

speedlever

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I'll take a look at it when it hits the stores. But it doesn't really generate any excitement for me. Maybe in person it will wow me, but I kinda doubt it.

Since I tend to keep a phone for several years (still on a GS/4-i337), that permanent battery can be an issue for me. I also put a case on any phone I have, so all that premium glass and metal build quality is lost on me too.

I'm tired of the small 5" screen on my S4. It lags. I'm ready to buy something. But I haven't found that something yet. I'll look at the V20, but am not particular excited about the UI and getting updates from LG and from AT&T. Maybe Nexus will hit another homerun this year, although I'm a bit disappointed the screen size dropped a smidge on the rumored Marlin.

I'm another use of the IR blaster.. just used it a bunch over the last week. I do like the IP68 spec on the N7. And the gorgeous screen. But the S-Pen is wasted on me.

If I go with the N7 or S7E (not a fan of the edge either), I'd prefer an unlocked version from someone other than a carrier. I do not like waiting on updates to filter through the mfg and then the carrier. I'm still on 5.0.1 and my S4 will never go higher. So maybe the Nexus Marlin will call my name.

Just too many compromises involved even at this late stage of cell phone development!

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I think you should wait for the N10...I mean you've waited this long. Can't be long before transparent aluminum phones come out.