Note 7's hardware scaling and HDR seem overlooked features so far...

vag74

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
Which iphone/ipod touch? I'm comparing to a 6S plus. The older ones will show some lag.
Hardware and software are the same. If one android phone has lag the same models all have lag. Perhaps some just don't notice it as much as others.
There's pros and cons in all things.
The 6s plus is very lagy in the recent apps

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Spec for spec, Samsung phones tend to be more laggier imho.

Blame it on the Wiz! :) The Note 7 at Best Buy and Verizon even with all the demo junk loaded seemed pretty smooth though.

Back on topic- 1080p for gaming should mean about 30% better battery life for that function and a lot less heat.

Interesting to see if correct....

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I might be expecting too much out of this based on a hands-on at the launch. I see nothing that suggests it works with game apps, or that you can adjust the display without also turning on power saving mode.

What a huge miss then, since most battery life (besides weak signal areas with LTE) is burned due to the 1440p display when using apps like games. Simply being able to adjust the display resolution without any other adjustments would be the best value for the feature.

Need to test and see for sure if works with games, etc and can adjust CPU back to 100% in settings. It defaults to 90%, but not sure if fixed or can be adjusted.

The amount of power saving tweaks are impressive, so hoping can just adjust display :)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
see nothing that suggests it works with apps

That suggests <what> works with apps? Once you adjust the display resolution in the power saving mode, and turn on power saving, the display would remain at that level - for all apps - until you turn off power saving mode.

Is this not what you meant? Why would this be a bad thing, this is great IMO

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That suggests <what> works with apps? Once you adjust the display resolution in the power saving mode, and turn on power saving, the display would remain at that level - for all apps - until you turn off power saving mode.

Is this not what you meant? Why would this be a bad thing, this is great IMO

Sorry, meant mainly games. Yes, as my OP suggests it is great. Googling and calling my local Verizon confirms that it works with all apps and the CPU can be increased to 100% or decreased to what you want. Now THAT is good CPU/GPU governor management :)

This adjustment alone should be huge for battery life. Most apps do not need 1440p and simply drains battery and makes the device hot.

Funny thing is the rep did not even know, but tested and was surprised you can tweak CPU, resolution and other stuff too. Impressive.

This effort alone and keeping the 3.5MM jack makes me feel "compelled" to give Samsung my business again. Skipped them on the Note 5 due to no micro sd.

Added: Also pushing 256GB micro cards for pre-orders. HUUUGE.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Use an iphone then go back to android. You'll notice the lag. I was just at best buy yesterday playing with the latest and greatest phones. Lag on all of them. I'm using my backup nexus 6 until the note 7 releases and it's horrible for lag. My wife's Galaxy S6, laggy. Even the new note 7 shows some slight lag in the store but it's better than any other android phone.
I'm also hoping the signal strength is better on the note 7. My iphone can pull down strong wi-fi and LTE signals where my nexus 6 gets nothing. Even on a recent camping trip some friends had no signal on their Note 5's while I had a couple bars on my iphone.

Which iphone/ipod touch? I'm comparing to a 6S plus. The older ones will show some lag.
Hardware and software are the same. If one android phone has lag the same models all have lag. Perhaps some just don't notice it as much as others.
There's pros and cons in all things.

I am pretty minimal when it comes to apps. I keep an eye on battery and memory usage and any app using too much that i'm not actively using I uninstall. So my phones are kept pretty clean. I still get the lag.

If you're running a beta build it can be. I was but reverted back. Otherwise it's super smooth with any app.

I'm noticing a pattern with you. LOL. Hmmm...what could it be? LOL

Anyway, I own both a 6s Plus and a S7E. Does the S7E stutter a bit? Yes, it does rarely. Whenever that happens, all I do is restart my phone and it's fixed. No issues.

However, I will not say the the 6s Plus is the best thing since sliced bread, because it is NOT! iOS can be buggy as hell. Even with the new jailbreak that is out now, I am STILL not switching back to the iPhone as my daily driver because I am having too much fun with my S7E. I currently have 3 different launchers installed - all with different themes - and I switch between them when I feel like it. It's easy.

And don't get me started on the pile of pooh called iTunes! I have lost so many playlists because of Apple Music, it's ridiculous! Talk about Apple being the best...they are NOT.

The reason why you see no lag in the iPhone is because the iPhone is a smartphone compared the the S7E and the Note 7, which are literally mini computers in your pocket. You can't do much on your iPhone. File sharing alone is a huge PAIN on an iPhone.

IMO, Samsung hit it out of the park with the S7E! After using an iPhone for the past year and a half, Samsung has made me a believer in Android again! And I am loving every minute!

Whoa. Wow. Have been with iOS for like 5 years, is there really going to be a large lag tax I'll have to pay as compared to the iPhone? And that android phones get laggier with time.... If this is true I will reconsider my move back to Android. Please those of you who have moved to android from apple weigh in.

Are you really going to reconsider because some person that you don't know posted something on the internet?

The 6s plus is very lagy in the recent apps

Thank you.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The N7 power setting tweaks are very flexible. Almost like someone worthy at XDA was consulted or something. If you just want 1080p, you can pick that. The combination of options is cool. It is funny adjusting the display res and watching the battery estimate jump up two hours. All the tweaks have battery estimates and apparently refine with use.

I will probably leave in 1080p unless web browsing or using Gear VR.

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
is the hdr hardware or software i have not found a person to tell me if it is or if it isn't hardware
It's hardware and software......

Samsung meant that the new phablet is actually able to play HDR video content on the screen, like its newest, more expensive TV sets do. Streaming and showing HDR video requires special calibration and processing power, so Samsung outfitted the Note 7 with a mobile version of its DNIe processing chips, borrowed directly from its expensive 4K TV sets that can play HDR.

The handset covers the basic HDR10 standard rather than the more demanding and confusing Dolby Vision standard, which requires end-to-end HDR processing. Thus, as far as base conditions go, the Note 7 should fit in the requirement for 540+ nits of peak brightness and black levels less than 0.0005 nits, having an OLED display and all, similar to the way Samsung's TVs are made to fit the HDR10 video standard.

Source:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Note...eans-and-which-titles-Amazon-provides_id83814