Looks like Gorilla Glass 5 scratches easily

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
An interesting video. I always watch his videos. He does a great job. I was surprised with the new gorilla glass 5 though. I would have thought it tougher than the previous. I always use the Zagg invisible shields and on my S7 edge it works amazing.

Kinds stinks for those who don't like them though. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I commented on his site if he'd do the same test on the camera lens that he did on front. I'd wish to find out it's sapphire over gg5.

As much as scratching the screen would bother me, the killer would be if the camera lens gets scratched to the point of degrading pics... I just came to the realization I can live with scratches if had to but if it can't take good pics anymore then it's got to go... gotta be able to take kid pics :)

An interesting video. I always watch his videos. He does a great job. I was surprised with the new gorilla glass 5 though. I would have thought it tougher than the previous. I always use the Zagg invisible shields and on my S7 edge it works amazing.

Kinds stinks for those who don't like them though. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I'll take my chances. Haven't used a screen protector in years and not about to start now.

Ditto. Im not going to take an exacto knife to my screen any time soon. Im mostly careful with my phones anyway. Also never keep my phones more than a year until the next flagship comes out.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Ditto. Im not going to take an exacto knife to my screen any time soon. Im mostly careful with my phones anyway. Also never keep my phones more than a year until the next flagship comes out.
Yep, exactly. Plus I'm getting $50 deductible insurance for $8/month so if it got too bad, I'd just have it replaced.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yep, exactly. Plus I'm getting $50 deductible insurance for $8/month so if it got too bad, I'd just have it replaced.
Will they replace it for scratches on the screen alone?

I have declined insurance on my past few phones. I have only used it a few times in the past and I figure if make it through the manufacturers 1 year warranty I would be able to buy a replacement online for the price I would have paid in monthly fees plus the deductible.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass doesn't do anything to protect against scratches, it's meant to make the screen more shatter resistant.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The Note 7 is still on the top of my buy list right now. Excited to check out my coworkers who already has track number the other day and was tempted to just order now too but now I'm gonna wait a month no rush... iPhone 7 news coming, Nexus news coming... and I've learned from past too wait a little and sometimes companies make production adjustments from initial release.

I'm thinking I might cancell my pre-order because of how bad GG5 appears to be.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I know it's not the point, but why does everyone seem insistent on putting their phone in the same pocket as their keys?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree, but it's definitely looking like this generation of glass is more easily scratched than prior ones.

That makes sense that it would, as it's becoming softer in order to be more resistant to shattering. The trade off is extremely hard (won't scratch) and extremely brittle (will shatter if you look at it) vs extremely soft (looking at it will scratch it) and extremely robust (can't be broken even by superman). So if those are two opposite points, Corning just moved further away from hard and brittle which means they moved closer to soft and robust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty