Verizon has apparently gimped their Note 7.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
According to several tweets by Droid-Life and replies to their tweets, VZW has a warmer temperature screen setting, ad block on the browser is disabled, smart settings suggestions are gone, Device Management settings section gone, and RAM management settings gone.

https://twitter.com/droid_life

Can anyone confirm all of this? I have mine sitting here unopened and if all of this is true, I think I'm finally done with them and will send it back and look at other carrier options. Was excited to switch from my iPhone 6 Plus to this, and as aggravated as I am at Apple about their lack of innovation and stale OS, that is one thing I will give Apple, they tell VZW to shove it and they provide their own updates, and sell the phones with no bloatware and no missing settings.

That is why I switched. Prepaid options like cricket and go phone give just as good of service in my area and have the added benefit of being able to buy unlocked devices (like the note 7 international version with exynos chip)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not really defending Verizon per say, I am just defending the fact that every other carrier looks for ways to screw their customers over. There's no good guy here, not even TMO once you look past their gimmicks.
Sounds like you're diving into plan related stuff versus just talking about the bloat on the phone ;).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
According to several tweets by Droid-Life and replies to their tweets, VZW has a warmer temperature screen setting, ad block on the browser is disabled, smart settings suggestions are gone, Device Management settings section gone, and RAM management settings gone.

Can anyone confirm all of this? I have mine sitting here unopened and if all of this is true, I think I'm finally done with them and will send it back and look at other carrier options. Was excited to switch from my iPhone 6 Plus to this, and as aggravated as I am at Apple about their lack of innovation and stale OS, that is one thing I will give Apple, they tell VZW to shove it and they provide their own updates, and sell the phones with no bloatware and no missing settings.

Screen I'd be grumpy about if they made it less accurate. I'm not sure what smart setting suggestions is, but having the device management and RAM management settings disappear is a good thing. Those settings can be used to interfere with the device's natural resource management, creating many more problems than they could actually help mitigate.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand how carriers think their software department is better than Google's. I mean, give it up already, leave the apps and settings and UX to Google and Samsung. Geezuz Verizon.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand how carriers think their software department is better than Google's. I mean, give it up already, leave the apps and settings and UX to Google and Samsung. Geezuz Verizon.
It's probably more to do with trying to make a buck than thinking their's is actually better. Considering how many people just go with what's installed already, I'm guessing it makes them a decent enough profit to keep it up.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
No more than VZW mods every other phone, IMO.
Not "gimped" for me.
Couldn't be happier.

If bloat is an issue, just get Package Disabler Pro and be done with that.

oldtimefighter

May 3, 2016
Visit site

Why would anyone want to use the Samsung browser anyway? There are a number of ad-blockers for Firefox or just go with Adguard.

RAM management? Is that a Cheetah crap app? You are better off without it...

Personally, how any one can handle all the bloat installed on carrier phones is beyond me. Why iPhone phones are immune to this and Android phones are not is just wrong.

You really want to move from iPhone? I would consider one of the upcoming Nexus phones.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Verizon takes away the blocking features for text messages. That's my only issue with verizon. I used to have at&t and tmobile neither of those companies took away that feature.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Have you experienced any issues at all after disabling it? Just knowing it's there makes me a bit queasy - like having a pedophile living next door to you.

You shouldn't have any problems after disabling it. I have disabled on every phone I've had. No problems here.

wcupk

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
does anyone know if verizon took the hiya feature off of the phone? I can not find the settings for it and i got a call from an 877 number and it did not give me a warning.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have Ad Block on the Sammy browser, using Ad Block Plus. And I'm overjoyed they took away the useless RAM "management" snake oil, brought to you by the cheats at Cheetah Mobile. Can't say I'm familiar with smart settings "suggestions." I know I have smart lock for location, devices, etc. And the screen looks great, so not sure about the "warmer" issue.
My screen tint looks fine. I never buy Moto because screen temp is too warm for me.

How do you apply AdBlock to Sammy browser? I don't see ANY settings on sammy browser. Can'r even shut off Java? (some ads I consider malware seem to use Java to prevent backing out of browser. You have to clear browser cache and data just to get rid of them. you know like "Congratulations Verizon User You have just won an iphone")

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Have you experienced any issues at all after disabling it? Just knowing it's there makes me a bit queasy - like having a pedophile living next door to you.

I have disabled DT Ignite on all my Verizon Android phones and never noticed any problems (Xperia Z3v, LG V10).

DT Ignite is bloatware that leaves a back door open to allow Verizon to install more bloatware.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo