Xda-Developers paints a different picture of the Note 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Note 7 Snapdragon performance issues (XDA)

Interesting. I personally can't stand poor UI performance. I guess I'll wait it out and see how the situation develops as time passes.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I like my phone. Its that simple. Enjoy reading your article. It isn't an iPhone, or any other phone. It does things that the others cannot do. I also don't mind an occasional dropped frame. My life is too short to expect that kind of perfection. (You may now add your "But for that kind of money, it ought to ______")

I have no complaints, except the Samsung Note app being completely stripped of every usable feature... might as well call it Samsung Keep.

The only benefit to these kinds of articles is that maybe, they will press to continue to lighten the load of TW and clean up some of the hesitation, and maybe replace samsung Note with something new.. .or something old (like s-note)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

My Verizon N7 is not having the issues noted by XDA. I did turn off some bloat, but have over 40GB of apps installed like I had with the MXPE.

I get the usual Android lag, but I understand the combination of translation code layer, cache and Android memory address management are the cause for this. Sytemic to all devices I have used. Which is pretty much all flagships that are retail offered.

Even using the stock mid setting for power saving mode I do not have the issues noted by XDA.

This is coming from a non fanboy very picky person as perspective.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I like my phone. Its that simple. Enjoy reading your article. It isn't an iPhone, or any other phone. It does things that the others cannot do. I also don't mind an occasional dropped frame. My life is too short to expect that kind of perfection. (You may now add your "But for that kind of money, it ought to ______")

I have no complaints, except the Samsung Note app being completely stripped of every usable feature... might as well call it Samsung Keep.

The only benefit to these kinds of articles is that maybe, they will press to continue to lighten the load of TW and clean up some of the hesitation, and maybe replace samsung Note with something new.. .or something old (like s-note)

Your opinion is completely legitimate. The Note 7 is still a beautiful device with some really neat tricks up its sleeve that make it stand out of the crowd and undoubtedly justify its price tag.

My father is quite similar in the regard that his phone does "everything I want it to do". Mini stutters and some delayed touch response are not something that bothers him and are undoubtedly as a result of decades of working and living with computers that were horrendously slow by today's standards. Problem is now in this day and age with such hardware we expect flawless UI performance considering the hardware.

I'm on the other camp. I'm an entitled millennial that gets annoyed by micro stutters because I'm used to things being fast, reliable and responsive. I'm using a Nexus 6P, after all. The last thing I would want is for the phone to feel like a downgrade.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
My Verizon N7 is not having the issues noted by XDA. I did turn off some bloat, but have over 40GB of apps installed like I had with the MXPE.

I get the usual Android lag, but I understand the combination of translation code layer, cache and Android memory address management are the cause for this. Sytemic to all devices I have used. Which is pretty much all flagships that are retail offered.

Even using the stock mid setting for power saving mode I do not have the issues noted by XDA.

This is coming from a non fanboy very picky person as perspective.

Great post, and I agree. Stock Android fans will never understand this. Samsung phones aren't perfect, but they are never boring. They are stunning pieces of artistry and hardware design. For us, that is worth the price of admission.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Mod Note, opened again after a bit of cleaning. This thread has merit however, people can't seem to follow the rules. Just remember - P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

Please... If you see something inappropriate, please use the report post to Moderator button instead of piling on or calling someone a troll or whatever... I don't want to see this thread closed, but if people can't behave then it will be.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Great post, and I agree. Stock Android fans will never understand this. Samsung phones aren't perfect, but they are never boring. They are stunning pieces of artistry and hardware design. For us, that is worth the price of admission.

Read what I wrote above and you'll see that some stock fans do understand! I just happen to have a different opinion.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Mod Note, opened again after a bit of cleaning. This thread has merit however, people can't seem to follow the rules. Just remember - P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

Please... If you see something inappropriate, please use the report post to Moderator button instead of piling on or calling someone a troll or whatever... I don't want to see this thread closed, but if people can't behave then it will be.

I believe it has merit too.

I've noticed some stutter with animations on my Note 7 that I never had on my midrange $300 phone. Seems weird to me that Samsung can't figure this out. It's their own animations that are giving me problems. Not having any lags, crashes, or reboots which is obviously more important. I know I can turn the animations off, but I kinda like em. If they were smooth that is.

canonuevo

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Also, you assume that everyone here is about as dumb as a box of rocks and can't make up our own minds.
There is no perfect phone and people spend their money on what they want. We don't need, AnandTech, XDA, you, me, Android Central, etc... to tell us what we should and should not buy. I buy what I want use and make up my own mind.

By the way I do 100% agree with this "The only audience I can really recommend this to are people that are absolutely set on a Samsung phablet, and even then if you won’t miss the S-Pen I think the S7 edge is pretty much the same experience for 100-200 USD less when the extra money gets you so little other than an extra 32GB of internal storage".

That is unless you want Black. :cool: which I did so it was worth the extra $100 to me. I don't give a fig about the S-Pen. Best phone I ever owned was a Lumia 1520 that thing was a tank. I just wish Microsoft had a good smartwatch solution and I'd still be a WindowsPhone user.

I also had a 1520, one of the best phones I ever had. That app gap just killed me.

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
How do people define lag on smartphones? Are we talking seconds? Miliseconds? I think it's more of a physiological response and phenomena than an actual software issue.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Read what I wrote above and you'll see that some stock fans do understand! I just happen to have a different opinion.

I was speaking generally. There's nothing wrong with a dissenting opinion, it's great for discussion. But there are others who think Samsung fans must fall for some sort of marketing hype, which isn't always true either.

I love Samsung hardware. To me it's the best in the business. This allows me to deal with the UI quirks.

Last edited:

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
How do people define lag on smartphones? Are we talking seconds? Miliseconds? I think it's more of a physiological response and phenomena than an actual software issue.

It's mostly how quick the phone responds to a tap. On my Nexus 6P that I had, sometimes when I tap to open an App you see a stutter. 1 or 2 seconds later the app would load. WIth Nougat the lags disappeared. With Marshmallow I had to reboot the device every three to four days.
So for me at least, is how responsive a phone is.

neil123456

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
I think it is fair to say that due to touch wiz and all the added features the Note 7 may not be as smooth or fluid as other phones.

Is there a thread where users could post tweaks/mods/actions to exclusively help maintain/improve the performance of the Note 7? That way all Note users could have a central place to reference addressing this issues?

I know there are some online articles that do this put I feel that there must be a lot of knowledge on this forum alone to create many different things users can do do address/improve performance.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
I've really been thinking about this. Samsung has the power, money, and brand recognition to tell the carriers to f off at this point. They could easily get deals like Apple with no carrier software, no carrier branding, and direct updates from Samsung w/o carrier involvement. I don't understand why they don't unless they're afraid the carriers won't push their phones as much as they currently do.

Could be the result of some existing contracts that haven't expired or been renegotiated?

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
It's mostly how quick the phone responds to a tap. On my Nexus 6P that I had, sometimes when I tap to open an App you see a stutter. 1 or 2 seconds later the app would load. WIth Nougat the lags disappeared. With Marshmallow I had to reboot the device every three to four days.
So for me at least, is how responsive a phone is.

I think we've been spoiled in terms of how responsive our fans get. I think smartphones have a physiological effect overtime.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I have no lag with my note 7 and just disable the bloat. Between my note 7, 6p and iphone 6s, I cant tell any difference in performance. Although, I do have a moto z force and it is faster than all 3.

I'm still waiting on my note 7 to come in but my wife has hers. Compared to my iphone 6s plus the performance difference between the two is VERY noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty