Goodbye forever Samsung...switched to a Pixel 4!

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
This thread looks promising as an educational medium...here are a few questions. Been on Samsung for about eight years, following Motorola. I like the reception of the phone, voice and data. The display is clean and fresh. I use the phone primarily for communication, business and personal. I take pics but not many like most folks.

My friends and associates have iPhones, Sammy's then Pixels in that order. Pixels have been gaining in popularity. Aside from the great camera in the Pixels, and the iphone crowd also rave about their pics... Is there any other advantage to a Pixel over a Samsung other than less 'bloat'?

I'm asking as I will be needing dual sim, e-sim phone, possibly next year and the Pixels and iPhones have it here in the U.S.

Mathrania

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Pixel, there is no looking backward now.
Good to know myGSM is still up and running. I remember buying my HTCs from them years ago.
They don't I got it from a site called MyGSM, delivered within 2 hours. It was brand new and sealed, Australian version. Just had to use me Apple 30W charger as the charger it came with doesn't fit.

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
So I am currently using a Note 9 and have been on Samsung since the S8.
I love my Note and loved my S8 but I have reached the end of the road with Samsung (and every other Android phone but Pixel hopefully)

I want long term support more than anything. I'm tired of waiting so long for updates and then only getting 1 or 2.
I'm also tired of my Samsung phones having so many of their own versions of apps that I cannot uninstall and I dont care to use (browser, dialer, calendar, etc....)

I am also not going to be spending $1k+ on a phone unless I know it will be supported for 4-5 years.

So right now my only hope is that the Pixel 5 will be good enough and priced accordingly. I want clean Android with no crap installed on it so I can build the experience I want.
I want a phone that will be supported for years and not just a hold over to get me to spend more and more money on the next model.

If the Pixel 5 turns out to be a bust I sadly will be moving over to iPhone. I've never owned an Apple device but my wife and daughters all have them (watches, phones, laptops) and I cant say I havent been jealous at times to see how smoothly all their stuff works together.

b4rtw

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I prefer the range of Samsung phones as it means a phone that fits anyone's budget. But the camera and software are simply superior on the Pixel.

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
OnePlus should be in the discussion too. Really love my OnePlus 6T, probably won't upgrade until 2021 some time. But torn between going Pixel or continuing with OnePlus. I really like what i see with the 8, expect big things from an "8T" but I like that I can get Pixels in a more compact size. I do miss not having wireless charging too. I hate that with OP, my only option for wireless charge is getting the ginormous Pro edition. But Oxygen is really a great variant of Android and the hardware switch for sound/vibration/mute is something that I don't ever want to give back.

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
This thread looks promising as an educational medium...here are a few questions. Been on Samsung for about eight years, following Motorola. I like the reception of the phone, voice and data. The display is clean and fresh. I use the phone primarily for communication, business and personal. I take pics but not many like most folks.

My friends and associates have iPhones, Sammy's then Pixels in that order. Pixels have been gaining in popularity. Aside from the great camera in the Pixels, and the iphone crowd also rave about their pics... Is there any other advantage to a Pixel over a Samsung other than less 'bloat'?

I'm asking as I will be needing dual sim, e-sim phone, possibly next year and the Pixels and iPhones have it here in the U.S.

What I mentioned in the initial post is just the tip of the ice berg as I didn't wanna write an essay but the more I use this phone, the more I love it. Small things just keep adding up to the overall experience. Here are a few nice things I noticed after using it for a few days.

1) I love its portrait mode, man it beats portrait mode on every other phone and puts the portrait lode (AKA Live Focus) of Samsung to shame. When you tap on a subject just once, that's it, it locks focus then you can quickly take the pic and the subject will be in focus perfectly and it looks so professional like it came from a DSLR. It has this effect that I can't explain, you have to see it first-hand to know what I am talking about.

2) Although the battery life is not as big as the flagships out there, trust me, it easily lasts a full day with heavy usage thanks to Google's optimization. I have the small Google Pixel 4 with only a 2850 mAH battery but things like it will turn off the always on display and it will sense when you're near and would turn it back on, that saves some battery. I also love in the video camera settings, if you are confused which is best, 30 or 60 FPS, there is an Auto option which I haven't seen on any other phone so it knows what to choose depending on the scene.

3) Google assistant is so much better and faster on this phone since it's built in, it's not an app you download so everything is done locally and is very fast.

4) I love the voice recording feature and how it quickly and accurately transcribes the text and even makes it searchable

5) I love the fact that when a software update is out, it's out for everyone! On my Galaxy S20+ when I used to read on Twitter that X month update is out, I would keep hitting search for updates manually for days, sometimes it comes on the 6th of the month, sometimes at the end, it was always bothering me to know that there is some update that might improve the phone/camera and I'm not getting it. Such a relief.

6) The Motion photo feature is amazing how the phone takes multiple shots and lets you choose the best one.

7) Finally, the fact that you buy a phone and then it keeps getting new features with software is priceless! Look at the Pixel 3 for example, it didn't have the astrophotography mode but Google is giving them that feature via a software update. very few companies do that, heck most companies especially Apple and Samsung will slowdown your old phone to force you to upgrade.

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
OnePlus should be in the discussion too. Really love my OnePlus 6T, probably won't upgrade until 2021 some time. But torn between going Pixel or continuing with OnePlus. I really like what i see with the 8, expect big things from an "8T" but I like that I can get Pixels in a more compact size. I do miss not having wireless charging too. I hate that with OP, my only option for wireless charge is getting the ginormous Pro edition. But Oxygen is really a great variant of Android and the hardware switch for sound/vibration/mute is something that I don't ever want to give back.

I was considering the OnePlus 8 Pro really and the camera is amazing coupled with that Snapdragon but just before I hit the add to cart button, I checked the forums and was turned off by the myriad of screen issues. Not paying for a device that has ANY issue.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was considering the OnePlus 8 Pro really and the camera is amazing coupled with that Snapdragon but just before I hit the add to cart button, I checked the forums and was turned off by the myriad of screen issues. Not paying for a device that has ANY issue.
I had the OnePlus 8 pro for a few weeks and that curved screen was the main thing that bothered me. And the screen quality was not on par with S20 series or iPhone. At $1000 personally feel S20+ is way better choice than OnePlus 8 pro which is same price since the S20+ is always on sale in the US.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I got a pixel 4xl a few months ago. Had the Samsung S8 through S10. I don't think I miss anything except maybe a brighter screen on the Samsung. But after the first week I didn't notice anymore. The pure Google experience has been awesome, and ya the camera is insane.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
What I mentioned in the initial post is just the tip of the ice berg as I didn't wanna write an essay but the more I use this phone, the more I love it. Small things just keep adding up to the overall experience. Here are a few nice things I noticed after using it for a few days.

1) I love its portrait mode, man it beats portrait mode on every other phone and puts the portrait lode (AKA Live Focus) of Samsung to shame. When you tap on a subject just once, that's it, it locks focus then you can quickly take the pic and the subject will be in focus perfectly and it looks so professional like it came from a DSLR. It has this effect that I can't explain, you have to see it first-hand to know what I am talking about.

2) Although the battery life is not as big as the flagships out there, trust me, it easily lasts a full day with heavy usage thanks to Google's optimization. I have the small Google Pixel 4 with only a 2850 mAH battery but things like it will turn off the always on display and it will sense when you're near and would turn it back on, that saves some battery. I also love in the video camera settings, if you are confused which is best, 30 or 60 FPS, there is an Auto option which I haven't seen on any other phone so it knows what to choose depending on the scene.

3) Google assistant is so much better and faster on this phone since it's built in, it's not an app you download so everything is done locally and is very fast.

4) I love the voice recording feature and how it quickly and accurately transcribes the text and even makes it searchable

5) I love the fact that when a software update is out, it's out for everyone! On my Galaxy S20+ when I used to read on Twitter that X month update is out, I would keep hitting search for updates manually for days, sometimes it comes on the 6th of the month, sometimes at the end, it was always bothering me to know that there is some update that might improve the phone/camera and I'm not getting it. Such a relief.

6) The Motion photo feature is amazing how the phone takes multiple shots and lets you choose the best one.

7) Finally, the fact that you buy a phone and then it keeps getting new features with software is priceless! Look at the Pixel 3 for example, it didn't have the astrophotography mode but Google is giving them that feature via a software update. very few companies do that, heck most companies especially Apple and Samsung will slowdown your old phone to force you to upgrade.
Some of the things mentioned are not exclusive to Pixel

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I just bought my mom a Galaxy a71 5g and had to set it up for her. Samsung's software is still a mess compared to the Pixel. I'm sure there are plenty of useful features in there somewhere, but I'd have a hard time going back to using a ui like that.

BillyBreathes

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site

Just to be clear, this is one of the best things Apple has going for it. Their OS updates of older phones is really second to none. Also why I'm considering a Pixel 5 when it comes out.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just to be clear, this is one of the best things Apple has going for it. Their OS updates of older phones is really second to none. Also why I'm considering a Pixel 5 when it comes out.
I'm confused. Because Apples OS updates are second to none is also why you're considering a Pixel 6?
Sounds like something is missing.

BillyBreathes

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
It’s a well known fact that Apple updates their phones, this year all iPhones al the way back to iPhone 6s will get iOS 14. That’s good support no matter how you slice it.

I’m considering the pixel 5 as I am really curious to try out google assistant on a pixel phone, with a great camera and software experience. Arguably , I can get all those things on iOS as well but I want to try something different.

Edit.

Reading back I understand your confusion. My bad. Pixel phones also get instant updates. So I won’t be missing out on those.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It’s a well known fact that Apple updates their phones, this year all iPhones al the way back to iPhone 6s will get iOS 14. That’s good support no matter how you slice it.

I’m considering the pixel 5 as I am really curious to try out google assistant on a pixel phone, with a great camera and software experience. Arguably , I can get all those things on iOS as well but I want to try something different.

Edit.

Reading back I understand your confusion. My bad. Pixel phones also get instant updates. So I won’t be missing out on those.
Correct,... Pixels get fast updates but they don't go as far back as iPhone

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
This is interesting to me because after being away from Samsung devices for a few years (had an S7 for about 18 months) and trying several others (LG, Moto, OnePlus, Pixel) I just picked up an S20 trading in my Pixel 3 towards it.

I still have a 4XL, and there's been times I've thought about going back to it but it's such a chunky phone compared to the S20 and while it's a cleaner experience to a degree, once I put Nova on this S20 and hid a few things and got my defaults set the only thing I'm missing much is the camera a little bit but not enough to go back to the 4XL for a daily. I'm actually getting better battery life on the S20.

Idk to each their own. I like both for different reasons. If I could get the pixel software on this hardware I think I'd be pretty happy but that's not happening. That said this is the first Samsung devices I've ever had that's felt as fast and fluid as a pixel for me. The only thing I've had that was better was a OnePlus which I think I may go back to this fall as I think OnePlus' camera is better than Samsung's and I love the Oxygen OS software.

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
This is interesting to me because after being away from Samsung devices for a few years (had an S7 for about 18 months) and trying several others (LG, Moto, OnePlus, Pixel) I just picked up an S20 trading in my Pixel 3 towards it.

I still have a 4XL, and there's been times I've thought about going back to it but it's such a chunky phone compared to the S20 and while it's a cleaner experience to a degree, once I put Nova on this S20 and hid a few things and got my defaults set the only thing I'm missing much is the camera a little bit but not enough to go back to the 4XL for a daily. I'm actually getting better battery life on the S20.

Idk to each their own. I like both for different reasons. If I could get the pixel software on this hardware I think I'd be pretty happy but that's not happening. That said this is the first Samsung devices I've ever had that's felt as fast and fluid as a pixel for me. The only thing I've had that was better was a OnePlus which I think I may go back to this fall as I think OnePlus' camera is better than Samsung's and I love the Oxygen OS software.

If you had no choice but to get an Exynos version like me, all that would change. The battery life is a joke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad