10-04-2016 01:34 AM
283 12345 ...
tools
    I downloaded Google's new video chat app Duo. It's dead simple to use and is easy to invite others to use. Arguably even easier than FaceTime. I'd highly recommend checking it out. And then inviting your friends to do the same. The "knock knock" feature is super intuitive too.
    Thanks. I did download it but not sure how to also get it on my wifi only iPad. And I really hope they bring it to desktop.
    08-24-2016 02:21 PM
    Not missing my iPhone at all today my brother texted me and said wow you got a new phone just because he noticed the color of the bubbles was different. All of my apps are working fine. Will be downloading the new video chat and then sending invites to my niece, brother and sister. Only my brother is a hold out to Android and even my non tech Mom wants a Note if I can just get her to go to the store and buy it.
    08-24-2016 02:25 PM
    There are far better texting applications out there then the verizon text app. The built in Samsung Messages app is one. But Google's Messenger is my texting app of choice.
    i will try those, thanks. now what should i use to get airplay to work on my note
    08-24-2016 06:14 PM
    I tried What's App, but nobody I message regularly uses it so I deleted it. I just can't get my iOS friends to try anything other than iMessage. I get why. All the people we chat with on a daily basis use iOS. There's just no real reason for them. Personally I like to try new things and experiment, but they've found a solution that works for them so they stick with it.
    WhatsApp is very popular with the international crowd -- due to roaming and higher Android use I think. Folks I message with are on iOS, Android and Windows, so for group texting, it had to be WhatsApp. We have a lot of ex-US friends and family in the group, so everybody used it. I, like you, had deleted it long ago due to no usage, but came back in the last year or so.

iMessage lock-in reminds me of BBM. That kept me on Black Berry for a generation or two longer than I should have stayed.

I still use SMS and Hangouts for certain friends. A unified messaging service would be awesome.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-24-2016 06:30 PM
    WhatsApp is very popular with the international crowd -- due to roaming and higher Android use I think. Folks I message with are on iOS, Android and Windows, so for group texting, it had to be WhatsApp. We have a lot of ex-US friends and family in the group, so everybody used it. I, like you, had deleted it long ago due to no usage, but came back in the last year or so.

iMessage lock-in reminds me of BBM. That kept me on Black Berry for a generation or two longer than I should have stayed.

I still use SMS and Hangouts for certain friends. A unified messaging service would be awesome.
    I was really hoping the rumor that iMessage coming to Android was true, even though I doubted it would actually happen.
    08-24-2016 06:33 PM
    Ive used almost every iteration of iphone and samsung devices. never owned a nexus.

I traded in my iphone 6s+ for a note 7.

Iphone 6s is way more fluid, better camera (selfie wise) the samsung camera makes you look super fake and alien like (the back camera is good though)

texting on iphone is way better, sending videos, pics, emojis etc.

Note 7 is better in build design, water proof, less bezel, multiple security options.

IOS has come along ways, I dont want my phone looking super cartoony with customizations, I like it stock with options to change some widgets. IOS offers that.

I really really really want to love this note, but the battery, and lag is killing me. Also, the fact that apple will replace my phone on the spot in person, just is a winner to me. I dont have to deal with the carriers and etc.

JUST MY OPINION.

Wish I could go back and forth between the two, but I have to choose. Im going to give it a few more days.
    08-24-2016 06:35 PM
    I was really hoping the rumor that iMessage coming to Android was true, even though I doubted it would actually happen.
    Well BBM finally made it to all platform, though too late to gain adoption. I guess there is hope for a compatible messaging app.
    08-24-2016 06:40 PM
    People are gonna miss iMessage and silky smooth use, I'm betting. Those are really the only reasons most everyone I know uses iOS. I know WhatsApp is used all over tbe world, but in my social circle, it's 98% iOS. People just love them some iMessage and aren't willing to give it up. YMMV.

But yeah I've used both. Have a work iPhone. I don't dislike it, but prefer Android for my personal device. I do like iMessage too. It's aggravating getting a video via MMS that's grainy and compressed to hell. Nobody is going to install another app if they are an iOS user. If your message isn't blue, they don't care about you. Silly yes. True yep.
    I'm the other way, I have an HTC One for my work device and an iPhone 6 for my personal device.

I initially got an Android device because Apple didn't make larger screen phones a few years back and I needed a larger screen to read long documents more easily. With the advent of the larger screened iPhones, I moved over to Apple but honestly if the iPhone 7 really doesn't have a headphone jack (worst idea ever) this could be a deal breaker for me and i'll move over to Android permanently unless Apple do something to absolutely wow me in their keynote in a couple of weeks time.
    08-24-2016 07:02 PM
    "Iphone 6s is way more fluid, better camera (selfie wise) the samsung camera makes you look super fake and alien like (the back camera is good though)"

iPhone is more fluid, but I disagree with the rest. The S7 camera (which the Note 7) is universally praised for having the best camera on a smart phone, if the color accuracy (or lack there of) turns you off you can always tweak the colors but the OLED display makes the colors more vibrant, front and back.

"texting on iphone is way better, sending videos, pics, emojis etc."

There are third-party apps you can download that mimic whatever the iPhone can do pretty easily.

"IOS has come along ways, I dont want my phone looking super cartoony with customizations, I like it stock with options to change some widgets. IOS offers that."

Mmm iPhone widget's aren't really Widgets like Android user's know them to be

"I really really really want to love this note, but the battery, and lag is killing me."

You got to give the phone a week to break in the battery, you can optimize the battery manually too (lag can be helped with eliminating bloatware).

There is no reason not to love the Note... It packs the best camera and best display out of any smartphone, iPhone is still rocking the outdated 1080p LCD display. The Note is on the cutting edge of mobile technology with the iris scanner, which is completely useful. In the winter when you wear gloves it's great for when your finger or home button becomes moist and the fingerprint scanner won't work. The iPhone 6s plus is taller and wider than the Note but only packs a 5.5 inch display, the bezels make it look like a cheap picture frame. The Note manages to be smaller than the iPhone and fit in your hand better with a beautiful dual edged 5.7 display, if that's not impressive I don't know what is. With the iPhone you are locked on iTunes and can't download music or movies in your phone from anywhere else, it is like mobile prison (especially when it comes to file sharing). There is no comparison...The Note is the best phone out there. The iPhone is better at software/ hardware integration and optimization, which is a pretty big deal, but not nearly enough to overpower everything else the Note has (wireless charging, fast charging, usb type c...). It's no contest.
    08-24-2016 07:46 PM
    Here's one thing that annoys me a little about switching from iPhone. When I get a text message I have to open the screen to read it vs iPhone where it would pop up on lock screen. Now I use the always on display so maybe if that's not on the text messages will actually show up on the lock screen that I can read and respond to? I don't know or remember if that's possible but I liked being able to respond to text from lock screen
    08-24-2016 08:11 PM
    I've had iPhone back when the iPhone 5 came out. It got boring real quick, though. After a few months in, I've lost interest but had to stick with the phone since I was on a 2 year contract back then. Then two years pass by and I finally make the switch to Android for the first time. I went with the s5 and ever since then, I can't see myself ever going back to iPhone. I love Apple, for everything else (laptops/computers and tablets) except for the iPhone. I just love the freedom android software gives you. Apple, to me, is just way behind when comparing to android. I hate that you're forced to keep all apps on the home screen. I hate how you're forced to keep all apps, regardless of whether you use them or not. At least on android there's a way to disable and hide apps that you don't want to use. I like that you can customize your Android to any way you like without having to root/jailbreak your phone. There are just so many cons to iPhone in my case that no matter what apple does to innovate the iPhone, I cannot ever see myself ever being an iPhone user again.

Posted via the Android Central App
    I had the iPhone five as well. The new iPhone's are not even close to how bad the five was. I hated how small and horrible that phone was. Got the new plus and it's honestly really close if im going to keep the note 7 or go back.
    08-24-2016 08:17 PM
    I was an Android user since it was first introduced. A few years ago I switched to the iPhone 6 plus to access apps published by work. After two years I'm so happy to come back "home" ! For me iOS is too stale and I missed the customization available on Android. Also another thing I didn't like was the sound quality for music on iPhone. It's nowhere near as rich as on Android.
    08-24-2016 08:37 PM
    I have the 6S Plus sitting beside me boxed up and ready to be sold tomorrow.

The thing that always gets me is I miss iMessage like everyone else mentions and the battery life of the 6S Plus is amazing. Love the Note 7 and plan to keep it. Amazing phone.
    08-24-2016 08:39 PM
    This thread will be interesting when the iPhone 7 is introduced.
    iFortWorth likes this.
    08-24-2016 08:43 PM
    Downloading files in my web browser and then manipulating them inside a legit file system app feels so comfy.
    08-24-2016 09:48 PM
    I knew it would happen so I put my Note 7 on my second line. My 6s plus is my primary phone and will only be replaced by the upcoming 7Plus. I like the note but the iPhone out performs it. Plus it's so much smoother.
    08-24-2016 09:53 PM
    Here's one thing that annoys me a little about switching from iPhone. When I get a text message I have to open the screen to read it vs iPhone where it would pop up on lock screen. Now I use the always on display so maybe if that's not on the text messages will actually show up on the lock screen that I can read and respond to? I don't know or remember if that's possible but I liked being able to respond to text from lock screen
    use textra and you can have that feature
    Ventura726 likes this.
    08-24-2016 10:01 PM
    Ok a couple people mentioned iOS apps being superior to their Android counter parts. I tend to disagree with this. I think most, many apps work the same or similar on both platforms, AND both platforms have apps that work better on their platform. I can think of 3 major examples of apps that work better on Android, True Caller, Whatsapp (and it's only slightly for Whatsapp), and Zedge (have you tried to get a ringtone through Zedge on iOS???? lol). And there are examples of apps that work better on iOS. Also each platform has exclusive apps ONLY available on their platform. But I think appswise it's pretty much a draw and you are ok on either platform. Major apps are available and work pretty much the same on both platforms!
    08-25-2016 08:09 AM
    Ok a couple people mentioned iOS apps being superior to their Android counter parts. I tend to disagree with this. I think most, many apps work the same or similar on both platforms, AND both platforms have apps that work better on their platform. I can think of 3 major examples of apps that work better on Android, True Caller, Whatsapp (and it's only slightly for Whatsapp), and Zedge (have you tried to get a ringtone through Zedge on iOS???? lol). And there are examples of apps that work better on iOS. Also each platform has exclusive apps ONLY available on their platform. But I think appswise it's pretty much a draw and you are ok on either platform. Major apps are available and work pretty much the same on both platforms!
    I just want my VPN to feature auto connect like it does on iOS.
    08-25-2016 08:29 AM
    I haven't tried that yet because I don't use Google Photos. Blasphemy, I know. I have a feeling my iPhone friends would be too lazy anyway. Haha!
    Blasphemy indeed!
    08-25-2016 08:32 AM
    I am the OP and sadly i have boxed up the note 7 and now back to using the iphone. I am so sad that "coming home" after a year away didnt make me happy. I was not enjoying the note at all. The battery compared to the 6s+ is nothing to even compare. Maybe i wasn't ready to make the switch so we shall see what the future brings. The only blessing is that I am jailbroken so it makes ios at least tolerable!
    08-25-2016 08:35 AM
    So for all of those mentioning iMessage as a major iOS selling point (and just about everyone does it seems), I have a question. Other than begin used to it, what specifically is so different in daily use from a good Android SMS/MMS app like Textra?

I have heard video compression. I guess it must just be me, but I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I have actually sent or received a video via MMS, so this just isn't a factor at all for me. What else is it that makes iMessage such an attraction to everyone? Is it just what you're used to, or is there more?
    08-25-2016 08:39 AM
    So for all of those mentioning iMessage as a major iOS selling point (and just about everyone does it seems), I have a question. Other than begin used to it, what specifically is so different in daily use from a good Android SMS/MMS app like Textra?

I have heard video compression. I guess it must just be me, but I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I have actually sent or received a video via MMS, so this just isn't a factor at all for me. What else is it that makes iMessage such an attraction to everyone? Is it just what you're used to, or is there more?
    It's instantaneous. Most of the time Textra is fairly quick, but MMS is sometimes so slow. Plus MMS doesn't always even work. I'm talking pics not video. There's the video compression, but you said that's not a factor for you, and I understand that. I like that it works over wifi. My carrier doesn't allow for wifi mms. I'm not sure if it's the animations Apple uses or what, but something about it feels smoother. That could def be a trick of the eye though. Lastly, I like the read receipts.
    08-25-2016 08:48 AM
    It's instantaneous. Most of the time Textra is fairly quick, but MMS is sometimes so slow. Plus MMS doesn't always even work. I'm talking pics not video. There's the video compression, but you said that's not a factor for you, and I understand that. I like that it works over wifi. My carrier doesn't allow for wifi mms. I'm not sure if it's the animations Apple uses or what, but something about it feels smoother. That could def be a trick of the eye though. Lastly, I like the read receipts.
    Thanks. So my take on that is that it all relates to MMS, which I almost never use. So MMS seems faster, animations, less compression, and works on Wifi for your carrier in iMessage. Good stuff. Anything else?
    08-25-2016 08:54 AM
    I am the OP and sadly i have boxed up the note 7 and now back to using the iphone. I am so sad that "coming home" after a year away didnt make me happy. I was not enjoying the note at all. The battery compared to the 6s+ is nothing to even compare. Maybe i wasn't ready to make the switch so we shall see what the future brings. The only blessing is that I am jailbroken so it makes ios at least tolerable!
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried any other recent Android phones?
    08-25-2016 08:55 AM
283 12345 ...