Long-time iOS users...what is your real opinion of the Note 7 having made the switch?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Curiosity: iPhone transplants a week later

I'm bouncing back and forth between leaving iOS for Android or staying with iOS. I was a long time Android user who switched to iOS back in December. First, for those who are giving it a week or less after leaving iOS, there's no way you could have gotten a good enough feel for it in that time frame. If I gave this 6s Plus a week or less back in December, I would have returned it because I DESPISED it when I first got it. But I forced myself to use it and wouldn't let myself use anything else. And then I got used to it. And for the most part, since December I've liked it. But there are some things that I still don't like that leave me wanting to go back to Android. And for those saying iMessage this, FaceTime that, there are great and easy alternatives. I don't use FaceTime much, so having Duo installed by my wife and family will suffice. iMessage is nice, but honestly, there are very easy ways to send videos that are better to or equal to iMessage. You can send TONS of pics and videos at once with Google Photos. Or you can use Facebook Messenger to send videos. Pretty much everyone I know has Facebook. I think the reliance on iMessage and FaceTime is just a cop out, honestly. It's an easy problem to fix, but it takes a little effort and doing things slightly differently. But it can be done. Just like when I forced myself to use an iPhone. It was different, so I didn't like it. I got used to it, so it's been fine. But I still don't like some things that make me want to come back to Android. Some things that after 9 months I still haven't gotten passed.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

To me, it is very much like BBM used to be back when everybody had a BlackBerry -- very reliable. You get delivery and read receipts right in the message. It is also synced across iPhone, iPad and MacOS, and seems faster when it stays in the apple ecosystem. When my wife messages kids with iOS, the seem to get it before SMS.

Others that actually use iOS may be able to add to the list. Like others have said, there is very little, if anything you cannot do with Android apps, but that negates the fact that Apple has a great solution out of the box and integrated into the OS.

Cool, thanks.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I just want my VPN to feature auto connect like it does on iOS.

Like I said it works both ways! BUT for the most part the apps are similar enough! I don't think you can go wrong with either platform. Now Windows Phone or BlackBerry 10 THAT is a different story! lol

Rafterman00

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I'm testing the Note 7 right now, having dabbled in the Note 3, 4 and Edge 7. But otherwise, I've been iPhone since the first one that could run apps (2008/9?). I can easily switch platforms, as I have just about every app duplicated from both sides.

The Note 7 is the first one I'm actually thinking of going with over iPhone, at least until next year. The speed is adequate, can't tell the difference 90 percent of the time, and the added features, especially wireless charging, RAW photos and waterproof, put the Note ahead. And the 320GB total space is the first time I'e ever said that I have too much empty storage.

I want to see what the iPhone 7 offers, and if they do indeed get a 256GB version, I will think hard about it. I'll keep both phones, but only one will be my primary. iOS apps are better, iOS updates are quick - don't have to wait months, and Apple's infrastructure is solid with the little things, like handoff.

But the Note has a ton of just plain useful features, like a way more customizable interface and things like the always on screen and being able to write a quick note on it.

Next month will be a tough call. But I'm leaning Note 7.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site

Here's one thing that annoys me a little about switching from iPhone. When I get a text message I have to open the screen to read it vs iPhone where it would pop up on lock screen. Now I use the always on display so maybe if that's not on the text messages will actually show up on the lock screen that I can read and respond to? I don't know or remember if that's possible but I liked being able to respond to text from lock screen
Quick Reply comes to Android 7.0 Nougat review: features, updates and changes
http://www.androidauthority.com/android-7-0-features-673002/

I miss how Safari reading mode creates and sends a pdf to iBooks, any workaround is more work and have issues, but that is main task and need for me.

Thought iPad could fill in the gap, but don't like the ratio Apple uses.
And iOS always seems buggy while it goes through 9.0 thru all the updates until... time to start over.

Weight: 192 grams too much and BB PRIV at 5.4" was the sweet spot.

A year from now I think things will come together and be a win.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Ok a couple people mentioned iOS apps being superior to their Android counter parts. I tend to disagree with this. I think most, many apps work the same or similar on both platforms, AND both platforms have apps that work better on their platform. I can think of 3 major examples of apps that work better on Android, True Caller, Whatsapp (and it's only slightly for Whatsapp), and Zedge (have you tried to get a ringtone through Zedge on iOS???? lol). And there are examples of apps that work better on iOS. Also each platform has exclusive apps ONLY available on their platform. But I think appswise it's pretty much a draw and you are ok on either platform. Major apps are available and work pretty much the same on both platforms!
For many of the ones I used on iOS, particularly Fitbit and myfitnesspal, it is different enough to be super annoying. I was on Android first, went to iOS on the 5s, and did find the app design was better. Not in all cases, but quite a few were easier to use. I'll stay on the note seven and get used to it, the advantages outweigh that annoyance, but it's a real concern. Course depending on the apps you use, you may or may not experience this

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

For many of the ones I used on iOS, particularly Fitbit and myfitnesspal, it is different enough to be super annoying. I was on Android first, went to iOS on the 5s, and did find the app design was better. Not in all cases, but quite a few were easier to use. I'll stay on the note seven and get used to it, the advantages outweigh that annoyance, but it's a real concern. Course depending on the apps you use, you may or may not experience this

The IMDB app is like using the iOS version from 2 years ago. The design changes I get because it's a difference between Apple and Google's design guidelines. The functionality is way lacking in the Android version though.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

The IMDB app is like using the iOS version from 2 years ago. The design changes I get because it's a difference between Apple and Google's design guidelines. The functionality is way lacking in the Android version though.
And my mountain bike trail app, to show which trails are open in the area, is light years better on iOS than Android. Some are very similar and equally good, but I've not really encountered any on Android that are better than iOS.

Fidelity on iOS let's me check my account with fingerprint login, here it makes me type in my awful password each time...

Wait, audible is better, I guess the ones that let you shop in the app are better on Android... And I'm glad to see Amazon prime has a dedicated app now, before it didn't.

Rafterman00

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

It seems that Android has a lot more ad supported apps and fewer that allow you to buy it. Probably because Goole makes ad supported apps worth the effort for developers.

Case in point, my favorite game, Scrabble from EA. The games are identical except, in iOS, I have a no-ad, paid for version, while the Android version is ad-supported only, no paid version available, and the ads are horrendously intrusive - they come up, full screen, after every turn, including video ads. EA couldn't have made the ads more obnoxious. So why doesn't Android have a paid version? Its very frustrating.
\

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Just remembered something else I prefer about iOS. This one is 6s/6s Plus specific, but you can use 3D Touch on the keyboard and it becomes a cursor to move anywhere on the screen when texting. I know you can use the space bar in Google Keyboard to do something similar, but you can't go back as far in text because the space bar isn't all that long. I also know I can pull out the SPen to do this, but having it built in to the keyboard was faster than pulling out the pen.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

It seems that Android has a lot more ad supported apps and fewer that allow you to buy it. Probably because Goole makes ad supported apps worth the effort for developers.

Case in point, my favorite game, Scrabble from EA. The games are identical except, in iOS, I have a no-ad, paid for version, while the Android version is ad-supported only, no paid version available, and the ads are horrendously intrusive - they come up, full screen, after every turn, including video ads. EA couldn't have made the ads more obnoxious. So why doesn't Android have a paid version? Its very frustrating.
\

Yeah big name, commonly used apps are just better on iOS. Tinder for example - higher res asset, much better animations and transitions, and much, much faster on iOS. Apps I have for work aren't available period on Android.

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

This is a pretty great thread, mature (for the most part).
The Note 7 is a pretty terrific phone, and I love mine. It IS laggy at times and people that don't think it is, aren't trying other devices. It's not terrible though and I certainly wouldn't dump it just because of a few skipped frames here and there. Battery life compared to the 6S+ is a big letdown, but I knew that going in. Fast charging pretty much eradicates this issue anyway. I love that it's lighter and skinnier. The width of the 6S+ is obnoxious. And the water resistance is pretty great. Just being able to wash the phone off every day is terrific.
I hope people reading this thread realize that both iPhones and Android phones have their pluses and minuses. Both are great devices. I think the Note 7 has a lot of objectively better parts, but that doesn't make it a better experience for everyone. People have different use-cases. Personally, I'm a tech nerd, so I'm going to own both, just so I can play with each platform. It's a waste of money, but it's a hobby.
Looking forward to using Allo and Assist!

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site

I briefly owned PRIV but never did hard reset but which ppl swear by to improve battery & performance. Was going to wait for MM but felt would take long time. Now wish I had. Was shocked just how hot phone could get.

Pet peeve in Twitter on Android cannot favorite a photo followed by save, yet ios you can. Small but persisted across multiple devices and Android ĹL and MM (was sure MM would squash bug).

I nit pick but then I use phone tablets most all day and iPhone just could be untethered but with newest Sammy and charge times, even w/o quick piranhas fast charging, plus freedom if wireless charge... something Apple is MIA for another 12 months, unless they slip it into a midcycle refresh model as that is a must have feature.

TheLegoJoker

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

\

I'm also a scrabble fan and I'm almost positive there was an optional paid android version back in the day. It's annoying but not enough to run me back to Apple. I really like the Note 7 so I'll deal with the few bumps in the road.

neo Jeets

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Transitioning from an iPhone 6 and 6+. I really like the phone so far but still trying to find out what works for me and what doesn't. The Samsung keyboard and Messaging Apps were the first thing to go after I found SwiftKey and Textra. I already miss the simplicity of iMessage, FaceTime, and practically always on Wifi Calling, but I think I'll eventually adapt. Managing applications and what runs in the background to save battery life is definitely more challenging on Android, but as a PC dude its nothing unfamiliar.

The beautiful display, huge SD card storage space, S-pen,and tons of customization options are what I really love about Note 7. Also, using the phone with the new Gear VR has been a fun experience as well.

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I am switching between iPhone 6S+ since Note 5 and doing the same with Note 7. As much as I like the Note, it was just the software that makes me switch back. To me, iOS version software seems more pleasant to use. The fingerprint is available more than 60% of all apps I am using while the same apps on Android; fingerprints only available around 5%. That is a real main reason why iOS is still my primary. But do switch to Note regularly. iMessage is also nicer on iOS, but will see when Allo is out. Same apps just seem nicer, I mean the Android version is getting better everyday. I don't care too much about the widgets, I actually don't use it. I do like some control on Android, but I found myself try to make it looks like iOS... I was like .. wait a min... it's just me.. bottomline I have and enjoy both HW.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Use whatever phone/platform you prefer most! I have a lot of friends who use Apple products, and I can definitely see the appeal; but to be honest, Apple is just not something I would use. I find Android to have more options and more variety for my dollar and preferences.

But if you feel like you'd prefer Apple to Android, that's awesome! Apple seems to always be ahead of the game when it comes to media stuff (like that photo/video thing that when you tap the picture you've taken, a video plays? That's pretty cool!); and I'm a huge messaging app enthusiast, and so I respect iMessage.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Transitioning from an iPhone 6 and 6+. I really like the phone so far but still trying to find out what works for me and what doesn't. The Samsung keyboard and Messaging Apps were the first thing to go after I found SwiftKey and Textra. I already miss the simplicity of iMessage, FaceTime, and practically always on Wifi Calling, but I think I'll eventually adapt. Managing applications and what runs in the background to save battery life is definitely more challenging on Android, but as a PC dude its nothing unfamiliar.

The beautiful display, huge SD card storage space, S-pen,and tons of customization options are what I really love about Note 7. Also, using the phone with the new Gear VR has been a fun experience as well.

Well welcome to Android, sounds like a good summary/contrast. I think the Simplicity vs Customization is a great way to look at the 2 OS's, where both can be seen as positives for certain people.

johnbody

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site

I'm not coming from an iPhone for the Note 7, but I did move over from the iPhone 6 for the Samsung Galaxy S7...I remember distinctly when I moved TO the iPhone, and then when I moved back to Android, the one thing that stuck out as a major difference was that Android has true widgets. I can actually SEE what's going on and interact with my calendar, music, etc. iPhone's idea of widgets were to pull down a shade and then select what you were doing in there. I also distinctly remember being utterly confused on how to share or save certain things on an iPhone. On Android, if you have it installed, it's going to show up in the share menu (at least all the ones I care about). There were times I felt I had to "jump through hoops" to get something to share the way I wanted on iPhone.

Having said all that, I agree with the others posting that quality of apps on iOS are far better, and overall fluidity and battery seem much more stable as well. But honestly, I feel like I've got an actual computer in my hand with the Android whereas the iPhone just felt like an entertainment device with a phone.

As far as texting/media sharing...I've always felt like why can't Apple just offer to sell the FaceTime and iMessage apps on the Play Store...I know it's what they think helps sell the iPhone, but wouldn't they be getting plenty of revenue if they sold the apps to us Android users? I would gladly pay to buy the apps so I could put the whole debate away of what platform/programs to use to communicate. Bottom line...Skype is fine for Android users and I'd be willing to keep it in my arsenal for anyone who feels THAT strongly against installing FaceTime, but having access to FaceTime WOULD be so much easier so I don't have to explain to my iPhone friends why I can't communicate that way with them. I'm not saying Android users are more tech savvy but MY experience has been that my iPhone touting friends love their iPhones because they just work and they don't have to think about it. I'd rather bend to their way a little and be done with all of this...but I'm not giving up Android.

ETA: The Galaxy S7 was a great experience and NOW I'm on a Note 7...aside from a few hiccups that I hope get worked out I'm very happy. I definitely won't be going back to iPhone for the foreseeable future.

Because Apple is a hardware company. They make there money selling the hardware. Apple is in the best possible shape company wise because you buy a iPhone for the Services. iMessages,FaceTime,iCloud,Apple Music.

It's the biggest selling point to the iPhone.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Just picked up the Note 7 on Tues. Coming from a 6S Plus I'm very happy. Yes once again leaving iMessage is going to be a challenge and the battery life of the 6S Plus is amazing. I've always loved Android and wanted to come back again.

In Canada the Note isn't cheap. $560 on new 2 year. Rogers offering a $200 trade in for an old phone. Found an old BB 9900 that wouldn't turn on. Brought it there and told the guy it's dead and he said don't worry and scanned another old trade in phone he had. Got $200 credit right there. He then hooked me up with a $50 credit in store also. I had a couple hundred dollar early upgrade fee also to add in. Note 7 also came with a Samsung 64GB Microsd card as well included in the box.

Really enjoying the phone that much that I packed up my 64GB 6S Plus yesterday and sold it for $900. It offset the entire cost of the Note and early upgrade fee. 😉

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38