Samsung pay just doesn't work reliably. I don't care what the commercials say

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I even got a few 'BOOM!'s from cashiers looking in when I'm paying after asking 'did it work?'. Not sure if it's because they saw the ads or because it's really a natural reaction hehe Still cool, though.

Every time I use it when getting a haircut my stylist still calls the other girls to look and 'wonder' at me paying with my phone.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
And it sucks you're having troubles but others are just sharing their experiences (hence some talking about Walmart). I literally use it every single place around me that has a card reader for me to swipe on without issue. Walmart, Publix, Gas stations, etc. etc.

I am not sure where the issue is for you versus me. I walk up, do FP, it pulses, and then I keep it there till it show a checkmark on the screen or the reader itself acknowledges it.

And that's how it works for me when it works. Problem is, there is too high a percentage where it doesn't work at this store or that store. I don't feel like saying to myself as I'm standing in line at a store "is this a store where Samsung pay worked for me? I can't remember, because the past 5 stores haven't worked". Easier to just use a debit card if this keeps happening.

digital0verdose

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Pretty crazy how fragmented the responses are about this. Hopefully the system works more broadly sooner than later. I would really enjoy being able to trust this as a reliable payment vehicle.

Paul Paradis

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I use it all the time with zero issues. The only headache is usually the buffoons behind the counter that cause problems. I just tell them to shut it.

alwilliam

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
If the terminal says something to the effect of "Swipe Your Card" you can then use Samsung Pay. Many stores are set up to speed up the checkout process by allowing the user to swipe their card as soon as the checking out begins.

Yes, you can swipe a physical card anytime during the transaction, the terminal stores the information temporarily until the person behind the counter initiate the credit button. Sometimes the cashier is not paying attention, or busy talking to someone else, or just doesn't know you're paying with credit, you'll be standing there forever. Most pin-pads will even tell you "waiting for cashier" if you already swiped your card but the cashier did not pressed the credit button.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
#@*-$**#@!!!

I just attempted to use Samsung pay at Walmart, where I have used it before. I wanted to use up that stupid $20 Samsung credit. It wouldn't work! We tried it 4 times. I selected credit like everyone keeps saying to select. I even took the phone out of the case. It just declined. You could tell it was communicating and trying to work, but it never did.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
#@*-$**#@!!!

I just attempted to use Samsung pay at Walmart, where I have used it before. I wanted to use up that stupid $20 Samsung credit. It wouldn't work! We tried it 4 times. I selected credit like everyone keeps saying to select. I even took the phone out of the case. It just declined. You could tell it was communicating and trying to work, but it never did.

Did you try another card? Apparently Citibank is still having issues with the Samsung Debit cards these are being loaded into, but that's on Citi, not Samsung or Samsung Pay.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I have had no issues using Samsung Pay prior to today. I'd say I've used it at least a dozen times but today I was at the register and it never fails ???

Just when there's a line behind me it didn't work !? I tried multiple times and the sales person was also patient until I gave up and just took out my debit card and swiped....... feeling like a dummy ugh !?!?

Oh well !?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Just when there's a line behind me it didn't work !?
I'm going to find a dead empty store where I figure it might work and stand there trying while a kind (hopefully) clerk lets me experiment. I live in an area where things aren't often upgraded and I'm afraid the dino machines we have here won't work with it.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't worried for a second when I walked up to rhe cashier.

What made it kinda uncomfortable was that I was at Victoria Secret purchasing lingerie and thongs !??! I

Imagine how I felt trying to get it to work while holding more than armful of risque VS items yiiiikkkkeeessss
I'm impressed. I would have been twice as freaked out. Given your experience you should love this.

Backstory - I have performance anxiety. Had it since childhood, cannot stand and talk (speeches) or demonstrate anything to anyone without having a full-scale panic attack, unless seated. And you can't stand behind me if I'm seated. OTOH I can and have performed on stage and done screen tests, read for parts, etc. Don't ask, 'cause I don't know.

I've had my N7 2.5 days and haven't gotten my screen protector or my right case that is grippy. I had one case deliver today that has zero grip and I drop everything, but at least it has some protection. For added protection and security I put an old grippy case over the case that came today so that I had grip.

Went out to get a pizza and decided to try Samsung Pay. I knew the pizza place didn't have a machine I could use (I was wrong) so I stopped at Auto Zone to grab some wiper fluid. Told the guy what I wanted to do and he said fine. I knew I would be panicky and I wasn't wrong. I was so freaked out that I forgot to take the second case off and didn't notice. I tried and tried everything while the guy watched. Very patient, thankfully. Gave up, whipped out my card and paid, then left. Dang...

Headed over the pizza place and there was no one but a chick at the register. She only had a reader attached to her display and I had already removed the second case so I asked her if I could try. She said yes and I immediately knocked their sign over... :-/ She fixed it for me and said "it's okay" after I apologized like twenty times. Shaking now, I tried the transaction and it failed. She wasn't ready and didn't mention that. More shaking. Once she was ready I tried again and it went very smoothly and I watched as the transaction came in. So I have my pizza and my napkins and I'm turning to leave (still nervous, mind you), and I knocked over the other sign. Wow. What a dip. She was great and I was a freaking spaz. :D

Okay. That's my most embarrassing moment of the week. What's yours? Come one everyone. If I can fess up you can too. :D

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Did you try another card? Apparently Citibank is still having issues with the Samsung Debit cards these are being loaded into, but that's on Citi, not Samsung or Samsung Pay.

Hell no. At that point after having tried 4 times, I'm not gonna give it a fifth chance with a different card. I was already taking more time than the old lady in line behind me that likely wrote a check with shaky penmanship did. And this is supposed to be the future?

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm impressed. I would have been twice as freaked out. Given your experience you should love this.

Backstory - I have performance anxiety. Had it since childhood, cannot stand and talk (speeches) or demonstrate anything to anyone without having a full-scale panic attack, unless seated. And you can't stand behind me if I'm seated. OTOH I can and have performed on stage and done screen tests, read for parts, etc. Don't ask, 'cause I don't know.

I've had my N7 2.5 days and haven't gotten my screen protector or my right case that is grippy. I had one case deliver today that has zero grip and I drop everything, but at least it has some protection. For added protection and security I put an old grippy case over the case that came today so that I had grip.

Went out to get a pizza and decided to try Samsung Pay. I knew the pizza place didn't have a machine I could use (I was wrong) so I stopped at Auto Zone to grab some wiper fluid. Told the guy what I wanted to do and he said fine. I knew I would be panicky and I wasn't wrong. I was so freaked out that I forgot to take the second case off and didn't notice. I tried and tried everything while the guy watched. Very patient, thankfully. Gave up, whipped out my card and paid, then left. Dang...

Headed over the pizza place and there was no one but a chick at the register. She only had a reader attached to her display and I had already removed the second case so I asked her if I could try. She said yes and I immediately knocked their sign over... :-/ She fixed it for me and said "it's okay" after I apologized like twenty times. Shaking now, I tried the transaction and it failed. She wasn't ready and didn't mention that. More shaking. Once she was ready I tried again and it went very smoothly and I watched as the transaction came in. So I have my pizza and my napkins and I'm turning to leave (still nervous, mind you), and I knocked over the other sign. Wow. What a dip. She was great and I was a freaking spaz. :D

Okay. That's my most embarrassing moment of the week. What's yours? Come one everyone. If I can fess up you can too. :D

Um. Wow

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Finally got the stupid thing to go through and use up my Samsung pay $20 credit. Was at Panera today, and noticed they take Android pay and Apple Pay. Worked just fine. So really, this experience with samsung pay hasn't been too different than when I tested android pay and determined it was a waste of time due to it not being reliable enough. Samsung pay was supposed to be different. It's supposed to work with older terminals. It doesn't reliably. I'm done trying, and will circle back around at a much later date to see if anything has improved

the real batman

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Supposedly that's a known and somewhat widespread issue with the Samsung rewards card. I'm in the same boat. Allegedly Citi and Samsung are working on a fix. We'll see.

playya

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Finally got the stupid thing to go through and use up my Samsung pay $20 credit. Was at Panera today, and noticed they take Android pay and Apple Pay. Worked just fine. So really, this experience with samsung pay hasn't been too different than when I tested android pay and determined it was a waste of time due to it not being reliable enough. Samsung pay was supposed to be different. It's supposed to work with older terminals. It doesn't reliably. I'm done trying, and will circle back around at a much later date to see if anything has improved

Hey I get it that you are having issues but after reading you had issues with Android Pay then maybe this is not for you. Now Walmart depending on the store has been hit and miss as I hear they are trying to push their own app. Some Subways are going through updates as well and you may just get a Waiting message on the screen.

As far as the old terminals like Verifone they have always worked for me without fail. Some of you can try to slide the phone down the side as if you were usng a card. This method works for me at Publix who also is going through updates for their chip reader to work.

A lot of this crap I know because I have called Samsung and report terminals that don't work as we all can do. Hey I hope in the future your experiences get better but if not I understand why you would not use it.

End of the day this is faster and more convenient. Most of the time it does not work is user error which could be cashier being an IPhone person and have no clue what to do next.

Also all you noobs are missing out on an extra $5 when you use it. DM me for new user code if ya like and I will share it with you

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Used SPay today without embarrassing myself and it was great! Confident with it now and I just whip it out and use it. Love it and it worked flawlessly.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Walmart depending on the store has been hit and miss
Yeah. Only trouble I had today was Wal-Mart and not Sammy's fault. Once I got to the return desk and started processing with it their system went down completely. Unrelated to anything except their system-wide software. They were having to give returns via cash. Felt bad for them. Lines at registers were huge and the system crashed completely. They seriously need to up grade their core software.

Status
Not open for further replies.