Running Strong

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to continue to use mine until the new one's arrive. It works fine. When T Mobile tells me the new ones are here, I'll turn it in.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I love my N7 - just the way it is. It's incredible, IMO!
That said, I'll replace it just to be safe.
I just hope my N7 2.0 is as solid as my 1.0.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I have no issue with the trouble and time to exchange and set up the phone. My only concern now is my unit is almost perfect to me, no reboot issue, no lag, no spen issue. And I'm afraid my replacement will not be as good.
This. My phone is running so perfectly. I initiated this phone by logging into Google and then loading each app one at a time. Now if I use Samsung Backup to restore my next one... In theory it should set up the same. That's the story in sticking with anyways :)

tclarson1

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
I was having slight lag and battery problems myseld, nothing crazy. I did a full reset and did not use smart switch and it was a vast improvement. I have a s7e on the nightstand I could use but I am stubbornly waiting till new stock comes in for a exchange.

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I get the thought, my Note 7 was running just fine. With that said, the rep running Smart Switch made this S7 edge seem like I just swapped out my current setup for one on a slightly smaller device. I'm usually all about installing everything one by one and customizing things to perfection, but for a temporary switch it's actually been quite convenient. That and the peace of mind I have now.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Every N7 being recalled is a potential ticking time bomb. Every day, there are reports of more phones that ran perfect before, now catching fire.

Do you think that every phone that caught fire gave it's owner some warning that they ignored, but you are safe to go on using your phone just because it seems perfect to you? I would doubt they had any warning in most cases.

Therefore, it would be foolish to wait on the exchange. Furthermore, it's too bad that the Consumer Product Safety Commission hasn't been involved with this exchange. If they were, I can't imagine they wouldn't be warning owners about the danger of injury and fire when charging these phones. They wouldn't just tell people to exchange phones when safer N7's become available. They would probably advise people to stop using their phones immediately, or at the least, issue warnings about unattended charging, whether fast or normal.

Bartone

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
Even If it's not a big risk you still want the newer Note 7. The pre-recall phone will not have as much retail value as the the newer one you get due to the safety issues.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have no issue with the trouble and time to exchange and set up the phone. My only concern now is my unit is almost perfect to me, no reboot issue, no lag, no spen issue. And I'm afraid my replacement will not be as good.
I'm with ya on that. I will exchange mine but I'll be royally pissed if the replacement isn't as good as the one I have now. Hopefully the swap will be soon so we can all move on with life without the risk of becoming flambè. It won't change my mind about Sammy. I just want it to hurry up and get back to normal. I got enough going on without this PITA.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Every N7 being recalled is a potential ticking time bomb.

From what I've read, the danger comes from battery packs manufactured by one supplier - all the others are just fine. The problem is there's no way to know whether the battery pack in your phone is from the bad batch unless you open it up, which most people aren't going to do. That's why Samsung is taking the high road and replacing all of them.

Thus it's not correct to say that every N7 is a ticking time bomb.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read, the danger comes from battery packs manufactured by one supplier - all the others are just fine. The problem is there's no way to know whether the battery pack in your phone is from the bad batch unless you open it up, which most people aren't going to do. That's why Samsung is taking the high road and replacing all of them.

Thus it's not correct to say that every N7 is a ticking time bomb.
70% of the N7s have the defective battery... That's a very high percentage... A person is more likely than not, to have a defective battery... 7 out of 10 is terrible odds....

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
70% of the N7s have the defective battery....

There is conflicting information on that point.

Initially it was reported that, while all the cells were manufactured by Samsung, the packaging was farmed out to several subcontractors, and only one of these was the source for the defective ones.

More recently, according to this report, the at-fault subcontractor is "ITM Semiconductor" but it doesn't state which fraction of the 70% come from this supplier. Those are the ticking time bombs; the rest are probably just fine. If there was an easy way for end-users to determine whether their phone has the bad battery pack I'm sure the recall would have been much more targeted. However, since there's no easy way to tell which battery pack you have, Samsung is doing the right thing and recalling all of them.

Bottom line, the fault doesn't lurk in 100% of the N7s, or even 70% of them. Of course, only Samsung knows the exact number, but I'm betting it's much less than 70%. Cause for concern? Definitelty. Should you swap your N7 out? Absolutely. But the fact that only 35 out of 2 million + phones have burned up suggests that the problem might not be all that widespread.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Now I know that everyone is going to say to return the phone Yada Yada, but in the mist of all of the news of the recall, Ive been using my N7 since day 1 and I still haven't returned it and I don't know if I want to either, I have been charging it normally and haven't had any overheating issues even when leaving it on the charger for a substantial amount of time after its been fully charged and I feel like there's no need for a return, if your trying to say that every single n7 samsung has shipped out is a dud then I don't know what life is lol. That's just my 2 cents. And I know it's a risk but it's one I'm willing to take

I agree with you in that not all Note 7's shipped out were duds. I'm definitely keeping mine until I get a replacement, but I will exchange. I have everythinf set up the way I want to and don't wanna go through that again until I get my new Note 7...besides, I feel like mine is not messed up lol

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Obviously not all the Note 7 units are faulty, but if you are getting a replacement for free, why not go for it, just to be on the safer side ?
Better to be safe than sorry ;)

Presuming the replacements do not pull a Flame On! as well ;) All bets off then.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Sad part is these batteries have a circuit board that with one little app it could tell you what battery is installed.

Looks like Samsung should do like the auto industry and batch code all components with production runs. There is some overlap, but pegs it down to the production batch rather than everything. They can also scan the significant components and post them as part of the bios level diagnostics of the device.

Bet they wish they did that now.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Lol see no reason NOT TO replace the phone for free to get a new one which is fixing a serious flaw. Better safe than sorry.

As far as Samsung definitely not feeling sorry for any company that makes billions of dollars. Hopefully next time they do better QC for a $1000 device and they learn a lesson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik