I wished I knew this before I ordered my MagSafe case. S-Pen Interference.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
After a few days, I decided to finally use the S-Pen and I got a pop-up message saying how MAGNETIC CASES can interfere with the S-Pen...

Not entirely sure if it is or I haven't used the S-Pen in a while. As I said in the title it's been a few days since I got my Ultra and now only using it.

Can you return cases at Amazon without the box?

ckfilmstar

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
After a few days, I decided to finally use the S-Pen and I got a pop-up message saying how MAGNETIC CASES can interfere with the S-Pen...

Not entirely sure if it is or I haven't used the S-Pen in a while. As I said in the title it's been a few days since I got my Ultra and now only using it.

There are youtubers who talked about this. It can have some effects. But from the reviewer, it didn't seem too bad.
The youtuber goes by flossy Carter

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site

It depends on the case and the manufacturer. Like USB-C cables, not all MagSafe cases are equal.

I have the Caseborne Slim series case with MagSafe and the Spigen Ultra Hybrid with MagSafe. Neither of them interferes with the S pen in any way. On my old S22 Ultra, I had a custom case from Pono Woodworks that was made from Koa wood and was MagSafe. That didn't interfere with the S pen either.

These are the S24 Ultra MagSafe cases I know work with the S pen:

CaseBorne Slim Series Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra Case - [3-in-1 Combo] [Ultra Clear Hybrid Magnetic Cover] with Tempered Glass Screen Protector

Spigen Ultra Hybrid Metal Ring MagFit Designed for Galaxy S24 Ultra Case, [Anti-Yellowing] [Military-Grade Protection] Compatible with MagSafe (2024) - White

Pono Woodworks Custom Case:

The Caseborne is my daily driver. I like it better than the Spigen. In a few months or so, I'm going to see if I can get a custom case from Pono Woodworks. I don't know if he has the capability to make S24 series cases yet.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

bennett22

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
which case do you have? there are some case that come with a shield on the inside that will block the magnets from interfering with the s-pen. i know magbak does and i think a few supcase cases have the shield as well

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

First off, which case? Secondly, did you actually have trouble with the s pen? or are you just scared of the message?

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Even Flossy Carter had difficulty demonstrating interference of the S-pen with a MagSafe case and attached accessory.

Did you catch the last part? A MagSafe accessory was attached. That's become fairly well known that interference only tends to happen with an accessory, not the case.

There are some exceptions and one is the Rokform case but that is because it has extra magnets. Rokform created that case to be able to cling to any metal surface and actually stick.

All of the standard MagSafe style cases aren't strong enough (at least not that I've seen and used) to do this. I've played with 4 different standard MagSafe cases so far without issue. Ringke, Torras x 2 and Caseborn. I don't own any accessories so I can't speak on that part.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Even Flossy Carter had difficulty demonstrating interference of the S-pen with a MagSafe case and attached accessory.

Did you catch the last part? A MagSafe accessory was attached. That's become fairly well known that interference only tends to happen with an accessory, not the case.

There are some exceptions and one is the Rokform case but that is because it has extra magnets. Rokform created that case to be able to cling to any metal surface and actually stick.

All of the standard MagSafe style cases aren't strong enough (at least not that I've seen and used) to do this. I've played with 4 different standard MagSafe cases so far without issue. Ringke, Torras x 2 and Caseborn. I don't own any accessories so I can't speak on that part.
It was pretty funny when Flossy was actively trying to demonstrate it and couldn't get the accessories to cause a problem lol.

I've also used a bunch of different magnetic cases with the S21U, S23U and S24U and none of them have caused an issue with the pen on their own. I do have accessories and they do mess with the pen, but that's such a non issue in my opinion because of how easy it is to attach and detach them.

Crazy thing is, everyones so terrified of the big scary magnets (how the fork do they work?) but nobody seems to have noticed that the Galaxy Tabs and their official cases are full of the damn things... I've counted, and my Tab S8 and its keyboard case have OVER 9000 magnets. ironically, there are at least 2 different sets designed specifically to attach the S-Pen! and And the magnets in the pen itself that attach to the tablet! SO SCARY!

This should tell us 2 things in my opinion. first magnet not danger for pen or user. Second, Samsung could have probably added that there Qi2 to the Ultra if they wanted... them keyboard case magnets be pretty stronk.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
It was pretty funny when Flossy was actively trying to demonstrate it and couldn't get the accessories to cause a problem lol.

I've also used a bunch of different magnetic cases with the S21U, S23U and S24U and none of them have caused an issue with the pen on their own. I do have accessories and they do mess with the pen, but that's such a non issue in my opinion because of how easy it is to attach and detach them.

Crazy thing is, everyones so terrified of the big scary magnets (how the fork do they work?) but nobody seems to have noticed that the Galaxy Tabs and their official cases are full of the damn things... I've counted, and my Tab S8 and its keyboard case have OVER 9000 magnets. ironically, there are at least 2 different sets designed specifically to attach the S-Pen! and And the magnets in the pen itself that attach to the tablet! SO SCARY!

This should tell us 2 things in my opinion. first magnet not danger for pen or user. Second, Samsung could have probably added that there Qi2 to the Ultra if they wanted... them keyboard case magnets be pretty stronk.
Not to mention that wireless charging REQUIRES a magnetic field to be produced. Otherwise, it wouldn't work.

Most of what people know about magnets and their effects on electronics comes from many years ago. It stems from how the old hard and floppy disks, VHS, cassette, and 8-track tapes worked. If you got a powerful enough magnet near them, it would degauss them and render them worthless. Modern platter HDD still can be wiped with powerful magnets. But modern SSD/NAND type storage is not as susceptible to magnetic fields.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention that wireless charging REQUIRES a magnetic field to be produced. Otherwise, it wouldn't work.

Most of what people know about magnets and their effects on electronics comes from many years ago. It stems from how the old hard and floppy disks, VHS, cassette, and 8-track tapes worked. If you got a powerful enough magnet near them, it would degauss them and render them worthless. Modern platter HDD still can be wiped with powerful magnets. But modern SSD/NAND type storage is not as susceptible to magnetic fields.
I had a friend who jumped up shouting in fear as her kid put a magnet near there LCD TV... "No! you can't put a magnet near a TV! you'll ruin it!" I'm not sure she believed me when I told her that wasn't really a thing with LCDs and she was just old. I didn't say the last part out loud though lol.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I had a friend who jumped up shouting in fear as her kid put a magnet near there LCD TV... "No! you can't put a magnet near a TV! you'll ruin it!" I'm not sure she believed me when I told her that wasn't really a thing with LCDs and she was just old. I didn't say the last part out loud though lol.
Yeah... I was told the same thing when I was a KID. But when I was a kid we had the old CRT TVs. A magnet could affect a CRT TV, but even then, it had to be a really powerful magnet to damage it. Back then, magnets that were powerful enough to damage a CRT TV were big and heavy. Not something your average household kept around the house.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
I have the ESR.
You have an ESR branded case? Which particular case are you using?

I've impulse purchased far too many cases as I just realized I don't have two Torras cases. Instead, I have 2 Ringke, 1 ESR, 1 Torras and 1 Caseborn with another on the way. In fairness, the Caseborn cases were free.

The ESR case I'm currently using has the bar style kickstand (not the ring style). I justed tested the S-pen using Samsung Notes and it seems to be working fine.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... I was told the same thing when I was a KID. But when I was a kid we had the old CRT TVs. A magnet could affect a CRT TV, but even then, it had to be a really powerful magnet to damage it. Back then, magnets that were powerful enough to damage a CRT TV were big and heavy. Not something your average household kept around the house.
As someone who has personally seen what happens when you put a 90s landline telephone on top of a 90s CRT TV, I would like to politely tell you that you are very wrong.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
As someone who has personally seen what happens when you put a 90s landline telephone on top of a 90s CRT TV, I would like to politely tell you that you are very wrong.
I do remember, I grew up in the '70s and '80s. It would distort the picture and once you removed it the picture went back to normal. It certainly didn't damage it. The magnets in ANY phone back then were not strong enough to damage a CRT type TV or monitor.

If anything it was the other way around. The magnetic field a CRT TV produces is much more powerful than what a telephone produces.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I do remember, I grew up in the '70s and '80s. It would distort the picture and once you removed it the picture went back to normal. It certainly didn't damage it. The magnets in ANY phone back then were not strong enough to damage a CRT type TV or monitor.
It went back to normal if you put it on, realised what you had done, and took it off. If you put it down and walked away, it definitely could permanently ruin the magnetic convergence. Especially on a Trinitron. You can't gaslight me out of the 2 years I spent looking at a purple and green distorted TV as a kid lol. ()

jmcjmcjmc

Feb 19, 2024
Visit site
I have the ESR case:

ESR for Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra Case, Compatible with MagSafe, Magnetic Case for Samsung S24 Ultra, 3 Stand Modes, Military-Grade Drop Protection, Boost Kickstand Case (HaloLock), Clear​

And unfortunately it most definitely does interfere with the S Pen - no warning messages and only on the lower part of the screen, but it's really annoying.

Can you get some kind of shield the put between the case an the phone?

Any confirmed magsafe cases with kickstand that don't interfere?

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I have the ESR case:

ESR for Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra Case, Compatible with MagSafe, Magnetic Case for Samsung S24 Ultra, 3 Stand Modes, Military-Grade Drop Protection, Boost Kickstand Case (HaloLock), Clear​

And unfortunately it most definitely does interfere with the S Pen - no warning messages and only on the lower part of the screen, but it's really annoying.

Can you get some kind of shield the put between the case an the phone?

Any confirmed magsafe cases with kickstand that don't interfere?
Does it interfere with the Spen while using a magsafe accessory or just when the case is on. I know the issue mostly happens when the magsafe accessory is attached like charger or pop socket holder.

jmcjmcjmc

Feb 19, 2024
Visit site
Just when the case is on. The pen goes weird bottom half of the screen - eg if using the S Pen to try and write. It's subtle and more like a lag but annoying. I noticed it as use the S Pen to play a colouring game and can't really do it now with the case on, have to take it off. I havent even tried it with a magsafe accessory like car mount/charger yet as I'm not sure if it will be a waste of money to buy one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana