Potential Ban of Note 7 on Planes by FAA? Yep.

smoothrunnings

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd be surprised if the airport security agents had enough time or the knowledge to inspect every smartphone that is brought onto a plane. Also, not every phone is the same color, has a logo showing, or hasn't been customized in some unrecognizable way.

On high security they check everything so it easy for them to inspect your phone, especially when it goes through the XRAY part, the security can stop you and inspect the brand of phone you have and hold it legally.

Gearswinger

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Virgin America just sent out an email to employees that they are banning them as well. You can bring it, bit it has to be off and no charging. Don't think it's been officially announced yet.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Every flight I have been on since 9/11, a phone sets off the security alarm, which is why they don't have you hold them when walking through. Also in the last few years they always make people show their phones power up.
I've been on 15-20 flights in the last few years and never been asked to show my phone. I put it on my carry on thru TSA check with my tablet and not once have they asked to look in my bag.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've been on 15-20 flights in the last few years and never been asked to show my phone. I put it on my carry on thru TSA check with my tablet and not once have they asked to look in my bag.
Well you have lucked out then or have TSA agents not doing their job. Of thru see my phone in carry on, they make me power it up. That is to make sure people don't have a fake phone to set off a bomb in cargo.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Well you have lucked out then or have TSA agents not doing their job. Of thru see my phone in carry on, they make me power it up. That is to make sure people don't have a fake phone to set off a bomb in cargo.
I figure every adult going thru TSA probably has a phone on them and on top of mine never being checked, never has anyone I've traveled with or the people in front of me that I usually watch. This covers about 10 different airports. The TSA ineptitude must be widespread if they are supposed to check every single one.

Baby_Doc

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Breaking news US Govt is Officially recalling the Note 7

That is it they will ALL be banned from every flight.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/09...all-with-the-us-government/?sr_source=Twitter

Read this article. The CPSC is finally involved. They are recommending people to stop using the N7, while looking at whether a replacement phone is an acceptable remedy or not. (It may not be an acceptable remedy if problems beyond bad cells are found, such as bad protective circuitry that should have detected charging problems with any bad cell.)

A lot of people may ignore these warnings, not just at their own personal risk, but possibly at the risks to others. Hopefully, they won't.

If I owned a N7, I would get a refund and use an interim device until this gets settled. I can always buy another N7 down the road when they are proven safe

Even without this CPSC intervention, Samsung has been slow to get any N7 replacements. So we shouldn't already blame the CPSC for getting involved and slowing things down, further, although that could be the case, regarding replacements.

However, with the CPSC issuing don't use warnings, hopefully, more people will listen and reports of fires will stop sooner, than without warnings. This may be more important than how quickly people get a new N7, particularly if there isn't time taken to make sure replacements are completely safe.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Read this article. The CPSC is finally involved. They are recommending people to stop using the N7, while looking at whether a replacement phone is an acceptable remedy or not. It may not be an acceptable remedy if problems beyond bad cells are found, such as bad protective circuitry that should have detected sooner charging problems with any bad cell.

A lot of people may ignore these warnings, not just at their own personal risk, but possibly at the risks to others. Hopefully, they won't.

If I owned a N7, I would get a refund and use an interim device until this gets settled. I can always buy another N7 down the road when they are proven safe

Even without this CPSC intervention, Samsung has been slow to get any replacements. So we shouldn't already blame the CPSC for getting involved and slowing things down, further, although that could be the case, regarding replacements.

However, with them involved and issuing don't use warnings, hopefully, more people will listen and the sooner reports of more fires will stop. This may be more important than how quickly people get a new N7, particularly if there isn't time taken to make sure replacements are completely safe.

Either this Sunday or next Wed I'll probably return it then. I'm not using it but was hoping to wait to swap it out to make it easier but it sounds like replacement won't be out for awhile now so I'll return it and decide if I want to order a 7 plus.

Gearswinger

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Now it's banned on Delta and Virgin America. Starting tomorrow all Delta flights will have an announcement that you are not allowed to have a Note powered on or charging.

jabloomf1230

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
So the question is when, if ever, will N7 be fully allowed again? My concern is since recall is voluntary, some venues will never lift ban.
Once the airlines start banning the Note 7, even when the new safe versions are released, how will this policy ever be undone? The two versions are outwardly identical. What, you say you left the little barcode sticker attached? Heck peel it off.

Gearswinger

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Once the airlines start banning the Note 7, even when the new safe versions are released, how will this policy ever be undone? The two versions are outwardly identical. What, you say you left the little barcode sticker attached? Heck peel it off.
It won't be. The FAA is all about risk management and it reduces risk to just say that the Note 7 isn't allowed.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Now it's banned on Delta and Virgin America. Starting tomorrow all Delta flights will have an announcement that you are not allowed to have a Note powered on or charging.

So we can take them on the plane, I'm good.

Once again our all knowing government doing what they do "best".

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree, the Note 7 is toast, so to speak. Samsung might as well rebrand it as a Galaxy Stylus 1, or some other catchy name.

Ditto. Even if the issue is ten time worse than 35, 350 devices is just .0014 of a percent. The problem is once again our media insinuators and instigators did there thang (probably with giddy back channel assistance by Apple). The damage is done and is billions of short and long term impact.

Samsung would be better served to forget trying to keep devices in two year retirement curves and go back to replaceable batteries. The battery is the main safety threat, so mitigate the recall risk in the future and regain consumer confidence. Fixed batteries might not cut it anymore for Samsung.

Gearswinger

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Time to take off the tinfoil hat. Yes, this is getting press because it's exciting for the news outlets. No, Apple isn't maniacally forcing it into the news. Samsung is the one who noticed the problem and recalled the device, which got the attention of the government. This is caused by Samsung.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Ditto. Even if the issue is ten time worse than 35, 350 devices is just .0014 of a percent. The problem is once again our media insinuators and instigators did there thang (probably with giddy back channel assistance by Apple). The damage is done and is billions of short and long term impact.

Samsung would be better served to forget trying to keep devices in two year retirement curves and go back to replaceable batteries. The battery is the main safety threat, so mitigate the recall risk in the future and regain consumer confidence. Fixed batteries might not cut it anymore for Samsung.

So you think the Note 7 is in the crapper now and even with revised units it still will have stigma and resale hit? I wonder how the sales will be overall of the Note 7 now. Will it be one of the most popular phones still?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I figure every adult going thru TSA probably has a phone on them and on top of mine never being checked, never has anyone I've traveled with or the people in front of me that I usually watch. This covers about 10 different airports. The TSA ineptitude must be widespread if they are supposed to check every single one.
That is very unusual. I don't know of anyone that hasn't had their phones checked. Also between about April through June, I was flying 5-7 days each week and sometimes going to two and three different states in one day.. I probably went to at least 50 different airports and at least 25 different states and everyone had to show their phones worked. That included our group and people not traveling with us. I was also traveling with some known people in government and some not known and we were still checked.

They have been doing that with all electronics for a few years now as part of DHS's enhanced security. Not sure when it started.. Here is an article I found with a Google search and this is a little over two years old. Since that time it has increased to more than just random people picked for extra screening and is happening more than just specific busy airports that tend to have more people coming and going all over the world. People have not been able to take their phones on the plane when found to have dead batteries.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcweb...es-get-through-airport-security/#25727815508d

Now many TSA agents at many airports fail the internal secret tearing that TSA does across the country. TSA does dry run testing on secret to see if agents will catch things or check things that have become known risks or known things that were tried by actual terrorists and they were caught or succeeded in attacking. TSA is notorious for letting known security alerts get passed and focus on baby diapers, mom carrying pumped breast milk that is presented exactly the way the DHS requires it to be or using enhanced security searches on an 80 year old person and ignoring the people that are metaphorically wearing a t-shirt that says "I love Al-Qadea, Death to America, I am a terrorist and will blow up this plane" as they go through security. That is one of the problems with TSA taking over airport security from the FAA after 9/11.

TSA was failing over 95% of the security tests across the nation and just one year ago after some big shakeups at TSA due to the failures, they had not improved. A really important snippet from the article last year, about those failures:

"An internal investigation of the Transportation Security Administration revealed security failures at dozens of the nation’s busiest airports, where undercover investigators were able to smuggle mock explosives or banned weapons through checkpoints in 95 percent of trials, ABC News has learned.

The series of tests were conducted by Homeland Security Red Teams who pose as passengers, setting out to beat the system.

According to officials briefed on the results of a recent Homeland Security Inspector General’s report, TSA agents failed 67 out of 70 tests, with Red Team members repeatedly able to get potential weapons through checkpoints."

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2015/11/04/surprise-tsa-is-still-sucking-terribly-n2075370

It isn't really surprising you haven't experience them checking electronics because they fail almost every secret test, but they are supposed to be checking electronics, especially phones and laptops since it is policy of DHS to check this. The fact that you and others aren't seeing this done is exactly why TSA is failing these tests and proof that airplanes have bigger issues, much bigger issues than Note 7's that haven't been exchanged, that they need desperately to be concentrating on.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Breaking news US Govt is Officially recalling the Note 7

That is it they will ALL be banned from every flight.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/09...all-with-the-us-government/?sr_source=Twitter
If they are doing an official recall, there is nothing to suggest the corrected ones will be banned nor that the ban will be permanent. Once they are satisfied the issue has been resolved and they can identify corrected vs those under recall, there won't be any reason to have a ban on the new ones. Right now the only safe ones out there are in China, so a ban right now would be expected. The problem ones haven't been replaced yet. There are no recalled ones replaced by "safe ones" yet, so I would expect a temporary ban.

Last edited: