09-18-2016 09:46 AM
203 ... 56789
tools
    So you think the Note 7 is in the crapper now and even with revised units it still will have stigma and resale hit? I wonder how the sales will be overall of the Note 7 now. Will it be one of the most popular phones still?
    The media is doing their darndest to pile on and now FAA, CPSC and unverified reports of incidents. Luv my Note 7, but think Samsung will be lucky to see half of previous expected sales.
    09-11-2016 05:47 PM
    The media is doing their darndest to pile on and now FAA, CPSC and unverified reports of incidents. Luv my Note 7, but think Samsung will be lucky to see half of previous expected sales.
    is it because they favor Apple?
    09-11-2016 06:10 PM
    Wife is flying on American this afternoon. She just texted me that there was an announcement specifically regarding the Note 7 telling passengers to power them off.
    Now that is a heck of an advertisement. That's ~150 laypeople (probably hundreds of thousands a day on AA alone since they average nearly 7,000 flights a day) thinking "wth is a Samsung Note 7, I'm never buying one of those".
    jerrykur likes this.
    09-11-2016 06:21 PM
    is it because they favor Apple?
    Because it must be a conspiracy that the media is covering a public safety issue that a major cell phone producer voluntarily did a recall on phones that could explode, and also told its users to stop using them. Nothing newsworthy here, a conspiracy between media and government is the most likely reason!
    benjamminh likes this.
    09-11-2016 06:21 PM
    Now that is a heck of an advertisement. That's ~150 laypeople (probably hundreds of thousands a day on AA alone since they average nearly 7,000 flights a day) thinking "wth is a Samsung Note 7, I'm never buying one of those".
    Just heard from another friend who is flying on United - they heard a similar announcement. My guess is that all the airlines are doing it.
    09-11-2016 07:04 PM
    Yeah, the one and only phone in the world with an IRIS Scanner. Any publicity is good publicity. It brings awareness to a certain product regardless. The conspiracy is these phones are intrusive, and not being able to remove the battery, front facing camera, heart rate scanner, GPS locator, dude you are no longer "off the grid"
    09-11-2016 07:10 PM
    Because it must be a conspiracy that the media is covering a public safety issue that a major cell phone producer voluntarily did a recall on phones that could explode, and also told its users to stop using them. Nothing newsworthy here, a conspiracy between media and government is the most likely reason!
    Yeah, the one and only phone in the world with an IRIS Scanner. Any publicity is good publicity. It brings awareness to a certain product regardless. The conspiracy is these phones are intrusive, and not being able to remove the battery, front facing camera, heart rate scanner, GPS locator, dude you are no longer "off the grid"
    09-11-2016 07:11 PM
    Well the wife and I flew to Vegas today and TSA didn't even bat an eye at both of our N7's. Put them in the bin and kept it moving. And they never mentioned it on the flight announcements.
    Killahhops likes this.
    09-11-2016 08:16 PM
    Well the wife and I flew to Vegas today and TSA didn't even bat an eye at both of our N7's. Put them in the bin and kept it moving. And they never mentioned it on the flight announcements.
    Did you power off for the flight?
    09-11-2016 08:20 PM
    Well that doesn't mean other flights won't.

In any case, I can't see such an unenforceable rule sticking around for much longer. Once the replacements are out there, give it a couple months, everyone will forget about this.
    09-11-2016 08:22 PM
    Well that doesn't mean other flights won't.

In any case, I can't see such an unenforceable rule sticking around for much longer. Once the replacements are out there, give it a couple months, everyone will forget about this.
    Unenforceable rules can stick around for a long time. The issue is not enforcement, it's liability and CYA. If/when a note 7 catches fire on a plane the owner may face civil penalties or possibly even criminal charges. No one will care if your excuse was "but tsa didn't confiscate my phone".
    09-11-2016 08:39 PM
    I was on two Delta flights yesterday. I heard the announcement that Note 7 phones should be powered off but phones were not inspected on the plane.
    09-11-2016 09:09 PM
    I just flew to Seattle via Southwest and I didn't hear an announcement. I used my phone the whole flight watching football from their WiFi.
    09-11-2016 10:16 PM
    I have no problem turning the device off for flights. Note 7 boots up fast
    09-11-2016 11:49 PM
    I flew Oakland to San Diego on Southwest this afternoon and they told us to power down our Samsung 7's because they are bad.......too many people running around without all the correct information.....maybe some clarity from Samsung on many issues surrounding this phone would help.....
    09-12-2016 01:38 AM
    Did you power off for the flight?
    Yep..and THAT was MY point. It's not across the board even with the airlines. NOT "ohhh look, we got away with using our phones on a plane".

I had my iPad. Now that I think about it, my wife might have watched 2 movies on hers seeing that she left her tablet in the car at the airport 😮
    09-12-2016 07:56 AM
    Yep..and THAT was MY point. It's not across the board even with the airlines. NOT "ohhh look, we got away with using our phones on a plane".

I had my iPad. Now that I think about it, my wife might have watched 2 movies on hers seeing that she left her tablet in the car at the airport
    As soon as something happens on a flight where a phones catches fire, we'll see the FAA putting a ban on them as it clear that careless folks don't care about human life, especially when flying at 30,000 feet or more. In turn if a someone's Samsung Note 7 causes injury or damage on a flight the owner of the phone better have a good lawyer. They could end up owing BILLIONS. To fix the plane and in lawsuits filed by the passengers.
    monsieurms likes this.
    09-12-2016 08:49 AM
    I flew Oakland to San Diego on Southwest this afternoon and they told us to power down our Samsung 7's because they are bad.......too many people running around without all the correct information.....maybe some clarity from Samsung on many issues surrounding this phone would help.....
    How much clearer does Samsung need to be? With the CPSC involved, Samsung has advised people to shut off their N7s, not just for getting on an airplane. Samsung will offer interim replacement phones until CPSC approved N7 replacements become available. I know there are many who think Samsung can figure out how to fix the N7 without CPSC involvement, but others don't. Some people are worried that there may be problems with protecive circuitry along with the bad cells, that Samsung may have overlooked or not reported to the public. The CPSC involvement will hopefully insure that any replacement N7 be completely safe.
    09-12-2016 10:46 AM
    Even banned on Australian and Indian flights.
    09-12-2016 11:09 AM
    As soon as something happens on a flight where a phones catches fire, we'll see the FAA putting a ban on them as it clear that careless folks don't care about human life, especially when flying at 30,000 feet or more. In turn if a someone's Samsung Note 7 causes injury or damage on a flight the owner of the phone better have a good lawyer. They could end up owing BILLIONS. To fix the plane and in lawsuits filed by the passengers.
    I'm all for this. Don't get me wrong. I truly am. I have 3 cars with the airbag issue. All they said was when they get the parts in they will contact us to schd an appointment. I guess wearing you seatbelt is suppose to suffice till then. Not trying to pick a fight with anyone, I just don't see how they can make a big issue over phone but not the airbags. No one's saying stop driving your car. Yes it's on that individual to use their phone and if something happens it's on them. But I feel that this is getting blown out of proportion.
    edubb256 likes this.
    09-12-2016 01:03 PM
    Rules could be different on you way back in a few days.
    09-12-2016 02:26 PM
    Rules could be different on you way back in a few days.
    Lol you are 100% Right. I hope not tho.
    09-12-2016 04:20 PM
    How much clearer does Samsung need to be? With the CPSC involved, Samsung has advised people to shut off their N7s, not just for getting on an airplane. Samsung will offer interim replacement phones until CPSC approved N7 replacements become available. I know there are many who think Samsung can figure out how to fix the N7 without CPSC involvement, but others don't. Some people are worried that there may be problems with protecive circuitry along with the bad cells, that Samsung may have overlooked or not reported to the public. The CPSC involvement will hopefully insure that any replacement N7 be completely safe.
    I am already seeing many independent commentators suggest that Samsung has no way out of this--that it only makes sense to start working on a Note 8, both for safety and marketing reasons. I understand why they don't want to. After all, we're hearing numbers like approaching 1 billion dollars in loss for the recall while their stock prices crater. CNN: "The cost of the recall is estimated to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars, analysts say. But with more than $25 billion wiped off the company's market value in less than two weeks, the bigger question is how long the fallout will last."

Those are attention-getting numbers.

They would do well to just bite the bullet, eliminate confusion, move on, turn the page. This is beginning to develop the sense of a bet-the-company issue. They can probably handle the money, but the money + reputation...that needs more dramatic action. For instance, with all the comments in this thread about plane issues--let's say most people go along with recall, some don't. Will airlines continue to insist that EVERY Note 7 be off, because they have no easy way to tell? Will that continue to damage Samsung's rep? What company wants to be the one that keeps showing up on airline announcements. Make a Note 8. Most of the problem goes away, or at least begins to be contained. You can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm all for this. Don't get me wrong. I truly am. I have 3 cars with the airbag issue. All they said was when they get the prts in they will contact us to schd an appointment. I guess wearing you seatbelt is suppose to suffice till then. Not trying to pick a fight with anyone, I just don't see how they can made a big issue over phone but not the airbags. No one's saying stop driving your car. Yes it's on that individual to use their phone and if something happens it's on them. But I feel that this is getting blown out of proportion.
    I don't mind playing Nanny at times, because the average person has no independent and informed way to evaluate the risk and some risks are really serious. However, the obvious differences in your example is that the airbag problem affects you and yes the seatbelt provides another method of safety that mitigates the risk. However...THe phone may affect other people. How many of us live in close quarters, high rises? If my neighbor burns his apartment down, who else will that affect?
    BustA Groove likes this.
    09-13-2016 01:32 PM
    I just boarded a plane at Newark airport, no issue going through security, they did just make an announcement on the flight to power your note 7 down if you have one but no one is physically checking people's phones
    09-14-2016 07:10 AM
    They shouldn't have skipped naming it the Note 6 They've tainted the entire 7 brand. If they decide to wind down the Note 7 early or even if they get past this and resume selling, I heard they've pulled all advertisements from stores, they are just gonna quietly sell it and let it die not caring how many units at this point until Note 8. Rumor the S8 will be released earlier now. My concern they do that then forget any proper support or updates for the Note 7

For instance, with all the comments in this thread about plane issues--let's say most people go along with recall, some don't. Will airlines continue to insist that EVERY Note 7 be off, because they have no easy way to tell? Will that continue to damage Samsung's rep? What company wants to be the one that keeps showing up on airline announcements. Make a Note 8. Most of the problem goes away, or at least begins to be contained. You can see a light at the end of the tunnel.
    09-14-2016 07:28 AM
203 ... 56789